Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2008, 02:04   #46
Senior - BHPian

Insaneroller is right. Bangalore is the mecca for RD after-market parts, mechs and tuners. People from out of town send their bikes to B'lore.

Last edited by Mpower : 9th October 2008 at 18:04.
Old 9th October 2008, 12:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
People from out of town send their bikes to B'lore.
Or engines, as in my case.

Need to get the rest of the bike all bright and shiny by the time the engine arrives, though. Damn I have so many workshops to follow up on, I'm going crazy - the Truck, the Land, the MT-01 (finally out today) and the RD. This year has been a garage year for me.
Old 10th October 2008, 12:18   #48
BHPian

Getting an Rd350.

Hi guys,

Its been a long long wait for me to get a good Rd350 for me. The reason, most importantly, funds, not that i couldn't manage to arrange funds, but everytime i thought of getting 1, i had to spend on some other things which were more important.But this time things are different, so going for a hunt.

Im getting an rd 350 for 70k, year of manufacture '83, HT, its running on a CDI kit,the silencer has a dent near the kick start area, after asking he said its because of the kick sometimes brushing the pipe. She was in covers, he said he hadn't started for a week. I noticed a little oil spill on the ground where she was parked, After asking for the explanation, he said it might be because of a loose cork.

I took a test ride, and i should say she performed really well, though didnt have much space to rip her, but for the time i spent it really impressed me.

It had all the original parts from the outside,But the problem is I have a limited knowledge on the status of the barrels and crank,if its running on the Rx100 top end bearings, does it need a rebuild or not. Checked the papers, they are clean.

If any Bhpian can accompany me for a 2nd round of a test ride, i'll truely appreciate it.

Thanks,

Hormaz.
Old 10th October 2008, 13:13   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hormaz View Post
I noticed a little oil spill on the ground where she was parked, After asking for the explanation, he said it might be because of a loose cork.
loose cork ??? lol thats a new one . what is he running in the gearbox ? champagne ?

find out the engine setup. i.e. what pistons , what piston size . sleeved or unsleeved etc . ask him to lift barrels to prove what he's said once he's made his claims. whats the condition of the bike , cycle parts , cosmetics et al ? post up some pics.

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 10th October 2008 at 13:21.
Old 10th October 2008, 14:55   #50
BHPian

All I can say is that, I have to HT RDs. The Blue one is in excellent condition, but after a ride, I can see a few drops of oil. Now no cork etc is loose, its just gear oil. Usually RDs have a small puddle on stand still, so a few drops from my Blue RD meant that mine was in a very good condition & I know it is cause its hit some awesome speeds, never stalled, dry cell battery. Stock filters, normal cdi, killer chambers. Not boasting, but it has given 600cc bikes a good chase till 80kmph.

Now I'm getting the RDD CDI (best in the business), UNI filters + jets. Its going to make my RD reach a different level. The main guys for this are in Bangalore only. Little research & u'll find them.

All the best.
Old 10th October 2008, 16:13   #51
BHPian

whats the top speed on ur RD insaneroller ?
Old 10th October 2008, 17:08   #52
BHPian

Notice the oil spill on the ground.

Is it worth buying a Yamaha RD350 now?-img_0351.jpg

I was a little worried for the dent which is on the silencer near the kick start area
Is it worth buying a Yamaha RD350 now?-img_0357.jpg

Is it worth buying a Yamaha RD350 now?-img_0353.jpg

Is it worth buying a Yamaha RD350 now?-img_0354.jpg

Thanks
Old 10th October 2008, 17:44   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
whats the top speed on ur RD insaneroller ?
165 on sigma.

@hormaz, from the looks of it, it seems fine. But you still need to keep your eyes on the all the oils, leaks. The pipes u'll only get LT if you want to change them.
Old 10th October 2008, 18:02   #54
BHPian

not worth anythin more than 40k IMO . but then u dont get anythin for that price in blore. try and get it down as low as possible.

@rongm . thats a tall claim for the blue bike man . hahaha
Old 10th October 2008, 18:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hormaz - this is definetly not an "original bike from outside" as u have quoted
while its easy to make "armchair" statements abt the condition/price of RDs, at the end of the day its ur money.

having owned and lived with an RD, i give u my 2 cents. if ur really keep to buy and keep an RD, do a lot of reading and know abt the bike first. check out bikes using this knowledge and wen ur comfortable, buy a bike in a fairly poor condition at a throw away price and spend time rebuilding it

that would be cheaper and a much better experience than shelling out 70k for these "original" bikes

this one specimen is not worth that kind of money at all
Old 10th October 2008, 20:13   #56
BHPian

Hormaz, 70K? I'm all the way seconding Narayan. This is bike is far from what you mentioned in your post. and it's sure not worth the price.
Advice: sometimes it just one more day we need to wait to see what we actually are to have. so don't blow that away by jumping in today. it maybe tomorrow. Believe me tomorrow does come.
Old 10th October 2008, 21:42   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
not worth anythin more than 40k IMO . but then u dont get anythin for that price in blore. try and get it down as low as possible.

@rongm . thats a tall claim for the blue bike man . hahaha
More than happy to show u dude. Join us for the next ride.
Old 11th October 2008, 11:31   #58
BHPian

looks like this bike has just good paint and nothing else. a lot of area is rusted. the engine seems to have leaking oil.as sumone said might be just the gear box dripping. but still you will have to work on it a lot, that means both money and time will have to be spent on this.and dat too for 70k.makes no sense man.its better you go for a cheaper rd and rebuild it yourself.that will give you a reliable bike at a cheaper cost. moreover you will get satisfaction after you finish the rebuild job.what do you think?
Old 11th October 2008, 12:14   #59
BHPian

Well i think you guys are right with your suggestions, i haven't called him back, but the search is still on though,

Had visited Tony's garage,malad, my friend knows him very well( he was his classmate), anyways, i left my number with him, he said he will let me know as soon as he hears from someone who wants to sell their RD.

Had a good long chat with him, talking about RDs and me gaining more and more knlowdge about the beast.Saw some there too, had come for a regular service check up, he showed me his Rd, looked great.

Thanks guys for your help,will keep you guys in the loop if i go for another Rd test ride.

P.S- I shifted back to Bombay, forgot to change it in the profile after shifting from Bangalore.

Hormaz.

Last edited by hormaz : 11th October 2008 at 12:19.
Old 11th October 2008, 14:22   #60
BHPian

ah that makes sense then . that copper coating is done only on bikes in bombay / probably other coastal areas to prevent it from picking up rust in the monsoons. never seen the same being done in Bangalore . LOL.

price of RDs in bombay are also alot cheaper compared to Bangalore although the condition may not be as good as the bangalore bikes of a similar asking price. try and get in touch with alot more people / RD mechanics / RD dealers to find a bike of your budget and u will find it. u just need patience. my friend recently picked up one for 30k ! in excellent condition. luck and patience and having the money at the right time.

Most Viewed