Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2018, 21:02   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is it worth buying a Yamaha RD350 now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
A quick google search for Jawa Motorcycle doesn't bring anything that looks like this though. Which model is this?
As others have pointed out, in India it would mean an Yezdi.

One of its 'advantages' was it was much simpler to setup compared to the RD. Courtesy of a single carb and single ignition (IIRC) setup. Holed pistons unlikely.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:51   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Saw this parked outside a garage in Kaimanam. I am not sure if this is an RD 350 even. Looked good cosmetically. This was the only pic I could manage while waiting at a signal on the opp lane.

Attachment 1800582
That's yezdi's attempt to jump the twin cylinder bandwagon started by Rajdoot, it was a licensed copy of jawa with a 634 series 'neanderthal' engine.Although relatively reliable owing to simple engineering, was't much fun to ride(how I know it,- well had a chance to lay my hands upon a garage owner's specimen, which he was desperate to get rid of )
Attached Thumbnails
Is it worth buying a Yamaha RD350 now?-10357747_424015911093598_3162369456568604868_o.jpg  

Is it worth buying a Yamaha RD350 now?-11082241_424015907760265_4485027624273277544_o.jpg  

Is it worth buying a Yamaha RD350 now?-11084055_424015867760269_1684515373465692931_o.jpg  

Last edited by silvr : 23rd September 2018 at 01:55.
silvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 20:13   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr View Post
how I know it,- well had a chance to lay my hands upon a garage owner's specimen, which he was desperate to get rid of
Wow! Looks like a shiny looking one, probably got it polished and chromed to get a good customer for it.

And it sports a GJ1 number plate. Even the Omni in the background. You had a chance to test ride it in Ahmedabad? Which part of the city? Also, did you ask how much he was quoting for it?

Ride Safe,
R-Six
Old 25th September 2018, 20:19   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Wow! Looks like a shiny looking one, probably got it polished and chromed to get a good customer for it.

And it sports a GJ1 number plate. Even the Omni in the background. You had a chance to test ride it in Ahmedabad? Which part of the city? Also, did you ask how much he was quoting for it?

Ride Safe,
R-Six
It was located in kutch, and the guy wanted prince's ransom, first started with 3 lakhs (assuming me to be rich) and finally settled for 80( assuming me to be desperate to get it) in 2014-15 winter.
The omni in the back ground is bank's property and acts as a satellite branch for remote villages ( not for sale)
silvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 17:32   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
@R Nair: You as old as me!?

Sutripta
Sutripta, I don't kno how old you are so cant answer either way

But age is just a number isnt it, rest is in your head, at least thats what I believe. I will be celebrating my Diamond birthyday soon.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 27th September 2018, 09:15   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr View Post
That's yezdi's attempt to jump the twin cylinder bandwagon started by Rajdoot, it was a licensed copy of jawa with a 634 series 'neanderthal' engine.Although relatively reliable owing to simple engineering, was't much fun to ride(how I know it,- well had a chance to lay my hands upon a garage owner's specimen, which he was desperate to get rid of )
That’s a b type with a 634. Most probably bought as scrap from the factory and fitted onto a b type frame. A well tuned 350 sounded amazing and went ok, not in the same league of the 350. You probably didn’t find it fun since the gearing was way off owing to the 16inch rims as opposed to 18 which the 350 came in. The shorter wheel base might not have helped either. Ride a well tuned stock 350 and it might change your mind, as long as you don’t compare it to a yam350 and keep in mind it’s basically an engine from the 1930-40 era.
howler is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 20:40   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Sutripta, I don't kno how old you are
Hi,
We both bought our RD new. Do the maths from that!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 20:59   #128
BHPian

Can someone here confirm how much work is it to get the crank pin play fixed?

I recently went to see an RD that had come up for sale. Only after seeing it start up I heard some noise on the left side of the engine. Seller says it's not much work and he'll get it fixed. However he said its in perfect condition on the phone. Checked with my tuner and he said there's no way of knowing unless we strip the motor. Will most probably need a rebore etc. Big work. Big bill. And lots of time.

Seller not willing to fix it with my tuner. Should I run?
Old 12th December 2018, 01:07   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterPatrol View Post
Should I run?
Run.

Stop at an Enfield showroom. Book an Interceptor.

Cant believe am saying this. How the world moves on!
Steeroid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 09:17   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seller not willing to fix it with my tuner. Should I run?
The newest RD 350 you will get would be almost 30 years old. Expect things to be a mixed bag. Most people prefer buying a fixer upper and rebuilding it.

Let me tell you an instance, about 10 years ago i asked my friend to walk away from an rx 100 because the kicker was rubbing with the silencer, we could do that 10 years ago, not today.

The noise you heard could be anything, from piston slap to a clutch bell to a crank noise. If you are not willing to do what it takes, I am sorry to say, "RD is not for you". If you decide to jump the band wagon then you have to accept that you cannot get a perfect bike, the best built bikes will be built as per the owner's taste, it will have goodies or will be a true restoration.

There will be niggles and most owners either learn to live with it or get them fixed. Newer owners might have different tastes than the previous ones, for instance I like a functional bike, while my friend in Kashmir loves originality even if things don't work as expected. I run flat slides while he runs old round slides. I believe in premix he loves autolube, i hope you get the drift.

If you are not another guy who thinks getting an RD will be a passage to time/coming to age ritual, you have to be prepared to spend time or money or like most do, both.

I am coming up with an quintessential guide to buy an RD 350 today. The article is ready, but I am yet to shoot a video for my youtube channel. Once its done it will answer a lot of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Run.

Stop at an Enfield showroom. Book an Interceptor.

Cant believe am saying this. How the world moves on!
Don't worry, you are not the first one to say something in those lines, but when the duke came people said the same thing, where are those dukes now?

RD had stood the test of time, a well tuned example will burn the roads, unlike dukes they give you that unique feeling that no other bike can.

I am not supposed to discuss speeds here, but my bike with flat slides and china cylinders easily does triple digit speeds, I have to let go the throttle because of you know, something to do with shrinking + a pair

Trust me your faith in RDs will return slowly when you see the sheer number of Enfield twins on the road in the coming years.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 12th December 2018 at 09:19.
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 09:30   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

The noise you heard could be anything, from piston slap to a clutch bell to a crank noise.

Pramod
Play in the crankshaft pin says the seller. Expect worst- build time and cost?

Last edited by MonsterPatrol : 12th December 2018 at 09:36.
Old 12th December 2018, 09:39   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One word. Exclusivity. And for this there is a price to pay. Many times over and over?

Now, if that's the word you could get out of my long post then, Sure. If you ride a well tuned RD on a straight road, you will know what the bike can do in-terms of straight line speeds and how it does it, is completely beyond words. You throw the same bike on a sharp corner and open the throttle while exiting the corner, for a moment you would be transported to a different era, an era where engines communicated with the riders. If you had experienced these two then all factors like, bling, sound and exclusivity are secondary.

I don't understand the rational behind looking for an RD if you don't fully understand the WIFM factor.

If you have not experienced the bike(which i don't assume to be true) then, no offences, you are another guy who has heard a lot about it, and maybe have heard some fanboy talks as well. Please reserve your decision till you ride a well built machine the way its supposed to be ridden.

Since you have edited your post. here is the reply to the edit.

Quote:
Play in the crankshaft pin says the seller. Expect worst- build time and cost?
Rebuilding the crank is not expensive, get the bike and get the crank fixed, it should be under 2k if your tuner is not a ripoff, assuming that the bearings and the con rods are good. a complete rebuild of the engine can cost you anywhere from a few thousands to upto 50k. Mainly depends upon what you put into the mix.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 12th December 2018 at 09:45.
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 19:33   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

Rebuilding the crank is not expensive, get the bike and get the crank fixed, it should be under 2k if your tuner is not a ripoff, assuming that the bearings and the con rods are good. a complete rebuild of the engine can cost you anywhere from a few thousands to upto 50k. Mainly depends upon what you put into the mix.

Pramod
Thanks looking forward to the video you're making. Do post a link here.

One question. Why are the RDs that are on sale in Kerala more expensive than in other parts of the country?
Old 12th December 2018, 19:58   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks looking forward to the video you're making. Do post a link here.
Since it covers the whole gamut, its taking time. I will try my level best to release it by early next year.

Quote:
One question. Why are the RDs that are on sale in Kerala more expensive than in other parts of the country?
Simple answer, "Demand and Supply"

Pramod
Old 13th December 2018, 09:22   #135
BHPian

The talk of banning 2 strokes has been going on for a while. Seeing the air quality levels deteriorating rapidly across the country I think it's only a matter of time for the ban to come into effect. Is this why I see more RDs up for sale these days?
MonsterPatrol is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks