Team-BHP - Is it worth keeping your Bike Scratch less?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Is it worth keeping your Bike Scratch less? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/42636-worth-keeping-your-bike-scratch-less.html)

Folks,

Is it really worth keeping your vehicle scratch less? I am very found of my Car (NHC) and my bike (Honda Aviator). I leave in Bangalore and commute by my two wheeler to office. I always desire to keep my vehicles in showroom condition. But this mindset has been eating up my head now. I see a new scratch being developed every week on my bike or car. These may be the minor touches on bumper to bumper traffic or at the parking lot. :Frustrati

Is it a good idea to claim insurance once in a year and get rid of all scratches (Basically a good quality paint job) or pay from your pocket to get things in place?

Or is it even better to ride with scratches and get rid of it after 5 yrs?

At the end of the day, the car you drive has to come upto your personal standards, not someone else's. The moment the look of the car would fall below your standards, you would automatically experience an unsuppressable desire to get it fixed.

So, if you are asking this question, then you can probably live with it.

Another point: most of the service centers are not able to restore the scratched panel to factory finish (unless it can be fixed by a buffing job). Therefore, if you get panels painted often, the overall gloss of your car may go down.

I agree with Vipul here as no matter what its upto an individual whether to get any denting,tinkering for that matter, scratches removed, Polishing done etc. It should appeal to you that yes ! this is something bad here and i need to get it done.

You can get painting done where there is some patch up done but make sure that the overall gloss and finish of the job is done and matches @least to the rest of the car. Though this might be minimal but the touch up work done sometimes messes up the overall look of the car due to some bad painting or polishing done @ a relatively smaller area as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sary (Post 908042)
Folks,

Is it really worth keeping your vehicle scratch less? I am very found of my Car (NHC) and my bike (Honda Aviator). I leave in Bangalore and commute by my two wheeler to office. I always desire to keep my vehicles in showroom condition. But this mindset has been eating up my head now. I see a new scratch being developed every week on my bike or car. These may be the minor touches on bumper to bumper traffic or at the parking lot. :Frustrati

Is it a good idea to claim insurance once in a year and get rid of all scratches (Basically a good quality paint job) or pay from your pocket to get things in place?

Or is it even better to ride with scratches and get rid of it after 5 yrs?

sary sorry to say but the question seems bit dumb... yes man it is always worth keeping your bike scratchless. it does not matter what you do to keep it that way, rob some one, take off parts from peoples bikes, do dodgy inssurance things. buy brand new body parts or even getting it painted every 6 months or whatever. but yes its worth it by all sorts. he in delhi when i ride with a CHAMAKTI hui BULLET people give me looks (In a good way). it seems that they dont really get to see many clean bikes here.

You take good care
and keep it CLEAN

DD

No really. Maybe its worth the pain. Maybe you have enough free time to devote to fretting over it. Overall, its really moh maya. Else you wouldn't have posted this koshun.

A daily driver in an Indian metro city will be impossible to keep scratchless; not without frequent wax jobs and touchups atleast. I say, don't lose your heart over the scratches. Give her a wax job every 3 months, a touchup job every 2 years and focus on maintaining her to mechanical perfection.

For those who have more than one car, it makes sense to use the older / cheap one as a beater. In my family, its the Indigo that is driven to the worst of places in Mumbai.

I try my best to do it.
but its not a safe world for the car/bike lover.

My last dent was a compliment from a biker who was too bust to look ahead.
The one before was by "unknown" drive/car in the company parking lot.

No matter how safe/carefully you drive there is the odd driver who just does't care, hit you and wave at you and drive away, this i especially true in metro's

Its a cruel world.

Just today someone made a full length scratch (those famous knife line) across my car. It could have been in the parking lot, or it could even be some "traffic-signal-sales-boy" while I waited for signal to turn green.

It is simply not worth worrying about keeping the car/bike scratch free. Do your best but always tell yourself it is just a car/bike - nothing to be upset about.

In this country, its not just the "aam janta" that can't keep their hands of a bike or car parked. I've had my CBR dropped by a guy who was from a decent family and had a car and all. When I started abusing him, he had the audacity to say "boss, please mind your language, I have a girl with me" Told him he can shove her up his ... and then my friend hit him. Then he says "I was just looking". Yeah right! With your hands?

I guess the best way to deal with such idiots is with your hands.

Its impossible. In the larger cities like Banglore, Mumbai, Ahemdabad, etc cities, it just not possible.
If one tries to maintain the vehicles scratchless then the attention will eventually be on maintaining the veihcles rather that utilizing the vehicles for our use.
IMO, then daily one has to look for scratches, dents and then almost every week take it to dealer for repairs. Its not worth spending the time.

Rather than maintaining the exterior looks, maintain it mechanically, i.e. change oil at regular specified intervals, regular servicing, taking care that you fill in the best quality of fuel available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 908350)
For those who have more than one car, it makes sense to use the older / cheap one as a beater.

This absolutely makes sense. We have saved a lot in body repiars.

Its absolutely impossible to keep the cars/bikes scratchless in the city where the traffic is always in chaos during peak hours. The people who park next to your car/bike care a hoot to these. to add to it, people drive like crazy cutting all the lanes. Hence scratches do occur during this. But to keep this scratchless needs much more. As GTO has suggested, we need to do these things quite regularly. But how much you want to spend on these things? Claiming insurance for scratches? I'am not sure whether the insurance companies will provide the cover the scratches. Therefore, if there are any scratches on your car/bike first have a look at it, then feel bad that there is a scratch and then smile afterwards as almost all cars will have these kind of things and your's is not the only vehicle.

Quote:

GTO : a wax job every 3 months, a touchup job every 2 years and focus on maintaining her to mechanical perfection.
That's the best suggestion you could have got. Not practical to try keeping things scratch-less, always.
Quote:

straight6 : When I started abusing him, he had the audacity to say "boss, please mind your language, I have a girl with me"
Was she his body guard ? :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 909139)
Was she his body guard ? :p

If she was, she was useless, because he got hit anyway :D.

I knew this was bound to happen, so bought a white indica. scratches dont show up much, and even if they do, are damn cheap to fix :D