Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 19:10   #1
BHPian

Got my Honda Aviator

Today, I got the successor to our Activa which served a good life for the last 7 years.

Like in the Aviator ads, I literally swapped the Civic for the Aviator of the same colour.Got my Honda Aviator-civic.jpg

The Civic which was my companion over the last couple of months was recently returned to the company.

Got my Honda Aviator-dsc00314.jpg

The Aviator had 25kms on the odo. The instructions given by the dealer were very obvious. You press this switch and the light will come on....You should put some petrol in here from the nearest fuel station.

Got my Honda Aviator-dsc00318.jpg

At the time of taking the vehicle, I noticed that the dim/bright switch had come off from its seating which is too bad for a new vehicle. The salesman who drove us through the whole process was very eager to get it pushed back in, but I insisted I take this picture before that.

Got my Honda Aviator-dsc00326.jpg
There is this mysterious hole in the meter console which the person explained was meant for the top model which has "DISC BRAKE" in a loud voice. I asked pardon for my ignorance and said that this is the top model with disc. then he looked at the front and commented that this is the hole for the "CALIPER". When I showed him the caliper around the disc, you should have seen the expression on his face. Any idea of what it is???
Got my Honda Aviator-dsc00324.jpg
Got my Honda Aviator-dsc00327.jpg

Got my Honda Aviator-dsc00315.jpg
There was this nasty sticker on the instrument pod which they had put on before PDI. I insisted to get this removed but the salesman said that it will go after some rains. I got angry at this. Luckily he didnt say the same about this sticker on the Visor of the helmet which I picked up from there.
Got my Honda Aviator-dsc00322.jpg

More detailed report will follow
Attached Thumbnails
Got my Honda Aviator-dsc00323.jpg  

Old 5th August 2008, 19:15   #2
BHPian

Hey Vivekji05,

Congrats on your aviator. Did you manage to get a answer for the hole in the meter console?

Regards,
Sajan
Old 5th August 2008, 19:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Whats this civic thing got to do with this scooter ?

i'm confused.
Old 5th August 2008, 19:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Whats this civic thing got to do with this scooter ?

i'm confused.
  1. He gave the Civic back to the company, and took an Aviator.
  2. The Aviator ad probably shows a car - Aviator swap.
Old 5th August 2008, 20:06   #5
BHPian

Congrats Vivek for the new Aviator. It is really surprising to see the high/low beam switch coming off even after th PDI.

The hole you are referring to is through which you can see the disc brake oil level. It is not easily visible, and you have to shed some light through it to see the level.

My friend is one happy customer of Aviator and I rode it many times. Lovely scooter.
Old 5th August 2008, 20:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
The hole you are referring to is through which you can see the disc brake oil level. It is not easily visible, and you have to shed some light through it to see the level.
or maybe you can use your finger if torch is not around.
Old 5th August 2008, 20:36   #7
BHPian

Congrats on the buy.It looks good.Is there any difference in the vehicle from the Activa apart from the aesthetics.
Old 5th August 2008, 20:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. It looks really cool & shiny in that color.
What is the mileage claimed by dealers?
Old 5th August 2008, 20:42   #9
BHPian

Yes, it seems very different from the Activa apart from the engine and switchgear. For one the Aviator is taller. Then they made changes to the air box and exhaust which has made it a tad more responsive at low speeds. Plastic quality has improved a lot while the paint job gets a beautiful sheen.

Then is the biggest change. New 12" front wheels on telescopic forks. The scooter is now more stable. And instead of the suspension setup in Activa which rises the front under braking, this one gets a more predictable dive action under braking. Disc brakes lack the bite that most of us are used to though.
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:57   #10
BHPian

vivekji05, how about a review till date? Will surely help the likes of me. Im planning to buy one.
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Vivekji on your new buy.. The color you have chosen looks very good with the sheen to the body paint. Waiting for a detailed review now on the selection and user experience.
Have fun with your new ride!
Old 10th June 2009, 12:29   #12
BHPian

Did the Sticker come off in the rains ? How is the fuel efficiency and the after sales experience of buying a Honda Scooter.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:49   #13
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!

I'm contemplating buying a gearless scooter for my wife. She currently drives a Scooty pep and want to upgrade to either Aviator or the new Activa. I would be interested in your views since you have had both (the old activa ofcourse).

Is height an issue for a lady of 5'4"?

Thanks and enjoy!
Old 10th June 2009, 13:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Even i've got the Aviator. Had bought it in Dec last year.It's better looking than most of them in the market. In fact, people always turn around and see which scooter it is cuz it's not as popular as the Aviator due to the steep price. The quality of materials is better than the Activa. The only difference is that the Aviator has got a fibre body with some touches of metal like in the front. While the Activa has an all metal body.

The thing that i dislike about the Aviator is that there is starting problem. It doesn't start at once most of the times. I have to pull the choke every time for the scooter to start at once. In my next service(which is due next week), i'll have to tell the guy to tune the engine properly.

Otherwise the engine is quite peppy and accelarates good. I have touched a top speed of 90kph and it was very smooth. The brakes do a good job too, even though mine has drum brakes. IMO disc brakes are unnecessary on this scooter. Every time you'd press the front brake, it comes to a jerky and sudden halt which is very uncomfortable. Even when i was booking the Aviator, the Honda guy advised me not to go for the discs.

Coming to comfort, it's not as comfortable as the activa cuz the pillion seat is higher. The side foot rests for the pillion driver is a good thing.

The only thing that is missing is the front glove box. It's very helpful when you're going to the market and wanna stuff everything in there. The hook given below the seat is useless cuz if you hang some bags there, it'll obstruct you're legs. When i contacted a Honda official to enquire if there is any front glove box available for Aviator, he said there is no space to fit one!

Anyways i'm loving this scooter cuz it turns a lotta heads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Is height an issue for a lady of 5'4"?

Thanks and enjoy!
I wouldn't recommend the Aviator in that case. Her foot wouldn't touch the ground cuz the height of the scooter is higher than most of them.

Last edited by theragingbull : 10th June 2009 at 13:22.
Old 10th June 2009, 13:28   #15
BHPian

Well said ragingbull. What colour is your Aviator, by the way?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks