Team-BHP - Disk Brake to normal brake change?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Disk Brake to normal brake change? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/43628-disk-brake-normal-brake-change.html)

Hi all,
My TVS Fiero F2 is a Disc version and lately i've found the disc is bent. I asked the dealer to remove the bend or what to do. He said its better to put a normal brake with brake pads which costs as much as new disk replacement which i need to do. So is good to replace a disc, or repair the disk or go for normal brake having brake pads? Does anybody repair disk bend near Rajajinagar, Bangalore? Please suggest me.

Thanks,
Ramki.

don't even think of that!!

I don't quite get u, if converting to drum brake setup costs as much as getting a new disk, why bother with a drum setup? Just change the disc rotor and u'll be fine. The difference between the two setups is huge.

Having used a Splendour without disc(of course) and now riding a tBird for a litle over 5 years with a disc.

Get your disc repaired. The advantage of a disc over drums is HUGE.
If spares are not available for a Fiero try retrofitting from any other similar bike.

Don't even think of doing that.Disc is anytime better. I don't think converting to drum will be cheaper cause you will have to change the wheel to accomodate the drum assembly. Stick to the disc dude.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramki067 (Post 929536)
Hi all,

So is good to replace a disc, or repair the disk or go for normal brake having brake pads? Does anybody repair disk bend near Rajajinagar, Bangalore? Please suggest me.

Dont go to the normal durm brake setup.
Replace the disk and nothing else. If the pads are worn out, then replace them also. But dont try to go in for the drum brake setup.

well there are people who do the rim bends straightening, and they might be willing to try out a hand at the disk too, it will depend on the amount of disk bent.

well i got this done once on my uni's stock disk, there was this sqeeling noise and a tik tik when braking at speeds above 40kmph i mean it was more audible and i could feel the shudder on the brake lever, so i got the bike water serviced, just to make sure there no sand or mud causing it.

the took it to this shop located at malakpet in Hyderabad, it quiet a big shop for this work and was very famous too. They too out the disk simply used a rubber hammer and straightenend it out and it was done! and i was happy to pay him 100 bucks for it.

you can give this a shot, before changing this, go to a reputed shop like this one that has some experienced guys, and give it a try.

you have nothing to lose any way at the most you will have to buy a a brand new disk!.

if you change the disk i strongly recommend you get a set of new pads too no matter when you changed the pads, this would ensure the new disk would grind uniformly.

all the best for the same hope its works good for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayD (Post 929929)
I don't quite get u, if converting to drum brake setup costs as much as getting a new disk, why bother with a drum setup? Just change the disc rotor and u'll be fine. The difference between the two setups is huge.

+1 if the cost is same then why should you move to drum.

Stay with your current Disc setup. Repair it and forget everything else.
It doesn't make any sense to go back to drums when the whole world is trying the opposite.

Why would you do that if thats costing you the same? Disc brakes are so much superior to than drums,ive seen people plan for a rear disc and you want to go the opposite way.

while i am thinking of moving from drum to disc for my bullet, you are looking for a demotion?:Shockked:
anyway, pals, could you advise me as to the cost and where to get the change from drum to disc done for my royal enfield? thanks. i do not see any pre-existing thread for this for bikes.