Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 15:27   #46
BHPian

You already decide to buy electra, then what confusion you r in still. Go and get it. It got good thumps as somebody already mentioned in this thread.
Old 18th August 2010, 09:41   #47
BHPian

Advice required

Hi guys,
I have been on the lookout for an used bull for quite some time now. Not that there is a dearth of bikes in the used market, but either the price would be too high or the bike wouldnt appeal to me.

Yesterday, came across an Ad for an Electra 5s, 2007 model. Spoke with the owner and it seems he bought the bike, ran it for a few 100 kms and then went abroad. It has been unused for almost 2 years. The owner is back now, and told me he is again leaving abroad shortly. This time he wants to sell off the bike. The bike now has 1700 kms on the odo.

What are the cons on going for such a bike? Or is it worth going for it at all? Btw the price quoted is 83k, which is high as well.
Please drop in your suggestions.

Thanks
Old 18th August 2010, 10:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Hi guys,
I have been on the lookout for an used bull for quite some time now. Not that there is a dearth of bikes in the used market, but either the price would be too high or the bike wouldnt appeal to me.

Yesterday, came across an Ad for an Electra 5s, 2007 model. Spoke with the owner and it seems he bought the bike, ran it for a few 100 kms and then went abroad. It has been unused for almost 2 years. The owner is back now, and told me he is again leaving abroad shortly. This time he wants to sell off the bike. The bike now has 1700 kms on the odo.

What are the cons on going for such a bike? Or is it worth going for it at all? Btw the price quoted is 83k, which is high as well.

Thanks
Its good that the bike isn't run that much but i think the price is too high. There are no cons as such, you just have to see the bodywork and all.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:59   #49
Team-BHP Support

No idea on the price. But if you do buy the bike, take note of the following.

1. Change all fluids.
2. Drain out the unused petrol if any in the tank. Fill the tank the first time.
3. Check the condition of the tires. Esp the part that was in contact with the ground. It would have gone hard and sidewall weakened by now.
4. Insurance would have elapsed.
5. Verify if the owner indeed go abroad and the bike does belong to him.
6. Check all rubber parts on the bike. Including the seals and wires. The manifold etc could have cracked if it was exposed for a long time in the sun.
7. Check for fading paint.
8. The rubber in the seat may have also gone hard.
Old 18th August 2010, 12:55   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post

Thanks
Don't know much about Bullets, but based on whatever I read on this forum, the Electra 5S is a good balance between the old & new. Price is high, IMO.

I am in same situation. Electra 5S - 2009 model -2500km and owner has gone abroad. His family wants 90K for the bike. I thought used Electras were supposed to be cheaper than the STD Bullets.
Old 19th August 2010, 10:44   #51
BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys. Will keep in mind the tips.

Cheers
Old 20th August 2010, 18:30   #52
BHPian

Dont Know about the prices down South But In delhi This bike wouldnt sell for anything above 55k tops depending on condition. 2 of my friends have each sold 2 electra 4s in the past 2 months which were in good condition One went for 45k as that was sold to a friend The other one went for 52k. In the end its your Call.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:55   #53
Senior - BHPian

Bullet For Dummies

i've got a '76 Bullet which has been lying unused for the past month or so.before you all scold me for treating her so, let me clarify that i am not be blamed.*FLASHBACK*.around six months back my uncle got her and within a month he went back to saudi leaving the keys with my elder brother.now my elder brother, who loves the thump, used to ride it untill she broke-down.it was because of some problem with the battery.got it fixed and it broke-down again.....and again....and again.
hence the bullet has been lying unused for the past month as nobody had the time (and patience) to look after her.now that my exams are over, i've decided to get her up and running.
one of the local mechanics told me that the battery is to be replaced.it is supposed to be very hard to find and costs 1500 bucks.
so all i want to know is what particular brand/model should i be looking for? and any other advise (particularly from the HYD bhp-ians) would be highly appreciated.

PS:this is my first experience with a bullet and i love the THUMP!
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help on buying a Bullet-h.1176.jpg  

Need Help on buying a Bullet-h.1177.jpg  

Need Help on buying a Bullet-h.1178.jpg  

Old 26th August 2010, 21:30   #54
BHPian

This being a '76 bull, guess its 6v.
You can get an EXIDE 6v battery -- they still make it. Checkout a dealer near your place. Or call up justdial.com or any local search for the contact number. Might take a couple of days, but pretty sure that they do make it.

It was available when I searched for one in march. But what I did is a 12v upgrade from Sudhakar Anna's workshop. Costs 5k including the battery, but worth it.
You may consider that too. From my experience, suggesting sudhakar anna's garage in Ranigunj. What would be better is to get it charged up completely and take the bike there to show it.
Old 27th August 2010, 12:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
This being a '76 bull, guess its 6v.
You can get an EXIDE 6v battery -- they still make it. Checkout a dealer near your place. Or call up justdial.com or any local search for the contact number. Might take a couple of days, but pretty sure that they do make it.

It was available when I searched for one in march. But what I did is a 12v upgrade from Sudhakar Anna's workshop. Costs 5k including the battery, but worth it.
You may consider that too. From my experience, suggesting sudhakar anna's garage in Ranigunj. What would be better is to get it charged up completely and take the bike there to show it.
what exactly is the advantage of a 12V upgrade? i guess the normal(6V) battery costs around 1500 bucks, right? and you just said that the upgrade costs 5000 bucks, so is it worth all that money?
PS: try to keep the explanation as simple as possible 'coz i'm kind of technically-challenged as of now
Old 27th August 2010, 19:59   #56
BHPian

To start with you have more light at night .
A 6v battery would not stand any more accessories, so in case you tour and need an additional lamp or a bigger horn etc, you might like a 12v 14 AH battery.

I intend to keep my bike for as long as it would run so a 12v upgrade is inevitable someday, if I want to ride at night on highways. Just thought i'll do it now when my old 6v went kaput. Advantage is simple, you might inevitably convert to 12v in 5 years(if you ride as long), why not do it right now when you have to get a new battery.

Last edited by ashokrajagopal : 27th August 2010 at 20:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks