Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2008, 19:37   #1
BHPian

Electra 5S Modification

I am thinking about buying a new ELECTRA 5S. I want to know if I can perform some modifications on it so that it looks like the Interceptor 750.

I dont know much about bikes technically so I want to know if these changes are possbile and how will it affect the bike.

- Can we reduce the distance between the rear tyre and the rear mud guard. I dont mind getting a custom made rear mud guard made.
- Remove the stock seat and make a flat seat which will furthur reduce the height.
- Changing the stock handle bar.

The end result should look something like this:
Electra 5S Modification-royal-enfield-interceptor.jpg
Electra 5S Modification-royal-enfield-interceptor1.jpg
Old 3rd December 2009, 23:37   #2
BHPian

Its strange and a shame that no one replied to your post and i dont know if its of any relevance now since its been over a year but i would still go ahead.

Such a mod job is very much possible.
1. Distance between the rear wheel and fender can be reduced by simply getting smaller height rear shocks and/or modifying the stock Electra rear fender mounts.
2. Handle bars and seats can be custom made without any problems.
3. The Exhaust pipes needs to be custom fabricated.
4. Double bore heads, basically head with two exhaust ports are also available easily. Performance would drop though.
5. Meter console can be borrowed off a RD.

What you wont get is the size of the head and cylinder block(externally/lookwise) as the Interceptor was a 750cc mill, but ofcourse our 350 and 500 CI blocks in no way look punny.

This would be a fairly simple project as compared to building a Clubman as no parts have to specially fabricated like tank, rearsets etc.
Old 3rd December 2009, 23:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rear height:
Best option: Set the shocks to the lowest settings.
Alternative good option: Modify the mounting points of the mudguard.
Extreme option: Get a new frame and/or mudguard fabricated

Exhaust:
Best and only option: Get a Goldstar and upsweep it at a fabricator.

Handlebar & Seat:
There are so many seat makers who can help you with this. The Bullet seat base may not do. You might want to use another seat base from another bike and make mounting points to suit your bike. Quite an easy job. Same goes for the handlebar.
Old 4th December 2009, 11:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Its strange and a shame that no one replied to your post and i dont know if its of any relevance now since its been over a year but i would still go ahead...
Oh C'mon, we have so many Bullet mod threads here that some go lost. for bringing it up.
Quote:
...Such a mod job is very much possible.. ..5. Meter console can be borrowed off a RD...
May be that's a reason for null response. Try for Triple clamp of Bullet Superstar/ Mini bullet at scrap yards. Some Delhi custom part maker has new similar RE specific items. search Clubman threads.
Quote:
..What you wont get is the size of the head and cylinder block(externally/lookwise)...
&The Interceptor performance as well

EDIT: any one PM thread starter remcy007 for an update ?

Last edited by Rennjit : 4th December 2009 at 11:23.
Old 4th December 2009, 11:34   #5
BHPian

I dont think this will look good on the electra 5s. Both the Electra and the Interceptor has nothing in common. Not only that, the Interceptor has a big 750 twin motor and the 350 single motor of the electra is no match in the looks you have for an Interceptor. So whats the point in making it look like an interceptor?
Old 4th December 2009, 18:40   #6
BHPian

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the replies after a year.. wow this is amazing...

I brought my RE last year and did manage to get a custom made handle bar and seat.. the other mods are still pending because of time constraint.

But thanks to all for replying...
Old 29th May 2014, 16:24   #7
BHPian

Royal Enfield Electra 5S Mod Queries

Hello! I have a 2009 Royal Enfield Electra 5S (350, CI engine) and recently started working on my Bull. I'm thinking of doing a few mods and would like to know the following for now:

1. Has anyone used the Bellmouth air filters with the stock Micarb VM24s? If yes, what's the engine response been like? I'm guessing it harms the engine more than the others (since they're more "open"), but to what extent?

2. Which model of the K&Ns would fit best on my bike? I'm confused between the R1100 and the R1060. Or am I just ill informed and are there other models I have no clue of? How are S&B cone filters when compared to K&N?

3. What jets would I have to (re)fit on my carb for each of the above mentioned options (including the Bellmouths, if anyone has an idea)?

4. How are the NGK Iridium SPs? Read somewhere that they work best (and only) with the splitfire cables. Is it true? Also, how exactly would the new Iridium SPs affect the firing?

5. Has anyone used the Lithium I(r)on batteries (Shorai, Moty, Ballistics, Braille, etc.) on a Bull? What's the response? Can they be charged on the usual Lead Acid battery chargers?

6. Also, are there any chances of harming the electrics if an 8-cell Lithium Iron battery is used and the output power exceeds the maximum needs of the Bull? I had read somewhere that a 4-cell is enough for a kickstart-only Bullet, but since mine's a 2009 Electra 5S, it's equipped with ES as well. Hence the confusion.

7. How can I convert my Bull from ES+KS to KS-only? There's a conversion kit available on Hitchcock's. But I'm looking for DIY options.

Cheers.
Old 29th May 2014, 22:07   #8
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Electra 5S Mod Queries

Brother, other than the spark plug ( Iridium ) idea, everything you have written seems completely needless.

My 1st reaction was: Why does he ride an Enfield, and not a KTM or something? Sorry for the unfavourable reaction but putting lipstick on a pig leaves you with a pig and nothing more.
john doe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 23:54   #9
BHPian

Re: Electra 5S Modification

Well John Doe, I love the Bullet and have been riding it stock for the past 5 years. But what I don't get is why people have to be so staunch about calling it "not just a bike". I mean, it's a beautiful machine, yes. But don't we all ride for the love of riding? If we start discriminating on the basis of the vehicles we owned, we would be doing the same thing automotive-wise what the religious fanatics have been doing over the course of Indian history.

I feel like working on all those mods I just posted queries for, because I want to experiment with my ride. Explore my ride, you know - get to know it more. Is that so blasphemous? Why do people have to be so uptight about keeping their Bullet the way it is? If you want to be so, go ahead, man. But with all due respect, brother, try not to impose it on others.

When I ride, the wind on my face keeps me thrilled - not the fact that I own a Bullet - although that doesn't mean that I'm not proud of owing one.

PS : If you can answer my questions and help me out, I'll be more than grateful.

Cheers.

Last edited by aah78 : 31st May 2014 at 01:02. Reason: Post edited. Removed reference to alcohol & additional smiley.
rbppt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 05:20   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

rbppt
Some people think, "If it's not broke, don't fix it."
Others like you want to try to improve things. Depending on what the final outcome this can be for good or for bad. If your happy with the results, that's all that matters when all is said and done.

As for your revisions:

Inlet bell mouths look cool! No doubt about it. They give the engine a racy look.

Many of the Bell Mouth inlets are little more than a screen that will keep out small rocks. The dirt that enters the engine will rapidly wear out the piston rings and cylinder wall.

Others, have fairly good filter elements that will remove most of the dust one encounters.
Others have very fine filters but these can be as restrictive or more restrictive than the existing stock air filter system.

The reason some of these are more restrictive is due to the volume of air between the filter element and the throttle plate in the carb.

The large single cylinder engines gulp a large quantity of air during the intake stroke.
If there is a restrictive filter between the throttle plate and the outside air the cylinder will try to breath most of its required air thru that filter in one big gasp. The restrictive filter element will prevent some of this air from moving thru it, so the net result is the engine can't breath properly.

How to solve this good air filtering and also give the engine all the air it wants?

Put the air filter into a container that has the necessary volume to feed the cylinder the air it wants. The container is called a plenum.
My Royal Enfield uses this method and it works well. The volume in the air plenum (filter housing) is enough to feed the engine during the intake stroke and during the time period when the inlet valve is closed, air continues to pass thru the air filter to refill the space so it is ready for the next intake stroke.
It doesn't look racy but it does work.

The bellmouth replacement you choose will determine if the carburetors jets need to be revised.

The Iridium spark plugs will do nothing for your engines performance that a good brand of regular spark plug won't do.
I had very poor luck with the Bosch double electrode spark plug that came with my Royal Enfield. Misfires were common and the idle speed was erratic.
Replacing the OEM plug with a old fashioned, low priced metal tipped NGK spark plug fixed everything at a very low cost.

The precious metal tipped spark plugs work well in a modern high speed engine but they really don't offer any real improvement in a slow reving engine like the RE has.

The only real benefit of a Lithium battery in a Royal Enfield is the weight savings.
Some of them are fussy about the charging rate while others are more tolerant.

The electric system of the RE is designed for 12 volts. It can run happily at 14 volts because that is the voltage the alternator and RR supply to recharge the lead/acid battery.
If the battery your considering supplies over 14 volts, IMO, the 14 volts provided by the RE's alternator will not be enough to recharge the Lithium battery.
If the Lithium battery your considering supplies 12-13 volts, it may work fine but again, IMO, the high cost of these batteries is a lot to pay to loose a few pounds of weight.

With your electric starter, whatever you choose to use as a battery must be capable of providing 12 volts while it is producing a very high current (amps) load for a 14 AH rating.
If the battery can't produce this your asking for a quick destruction of your sprag clutch in the engine.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 31st May 2014 at 05:24.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 11:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbppt View Post
Hello! I have a 2009 Royal Enfield Electra 5S (350, CI engine) and recently started working on my Bull. I'm thinking of doing a few mods and would like to know the following for now:

My suggestion,
Get a second hand twin spark 350/500 and do the above, it will actually result in changes your are looking for.
The Electra 5S, my opinion would be to leave it as it is . The mod's you listed will hardly make any changes apart from in your wallet.

Saying this since, I have tried open filters, exhausts, jets. They all just make a very very small improvement and you will feel the stock set up is the best on the old CI 350 engines.

The ES can be disconnected fully. Remove the sprag clutch. It will also free up the engine a bit.

I can suggest a mod which can make your 350 more fun to ride, which I had done on a friends 08 Electra.
Fit the old intake/filter box, that came on the pre 2002 Bullets.
Old 31st May 2014, 23:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
My suggestion,
Get a second hand twin spark 350/500 and do the above, it will actually result in changes your are looking for... ....
Okay, i might be a bit off topic but, would moving onto an Avl top end or even the uce kit be interesting? Hope it isn't too complex a job as avl-uce hybrids are already made. I've been resisting such hack to my commuter though.
Old 15th August 2014, 23:42   #13
BHPian

Can someone tell me how much one can get the yoke plate for the front fork assembly for? I need to buy one and the dealer here tells me the non-threaded TB yoke comes for about 2400/- (the threaded ones for the newer models come for 1200/- he says). Is that right? Or can someone suggest a better store(preferably Pune/Bangalore/Goa)/site I can get one at a cheaper rate at?
Old 16th August 2014, 17:40   #14
BHPian

2400 sounds a tad bit much.

Just happened across this thread.How are the mods on your motorcycle going?

When you say dealer do you mean the authorized spares dealer or did you enquire at the RE showroom?

http://images.royalspares.com/part_m...E-Thunderbird/

If you could tell me exactly which part.I can enquire about it.
Old 16th August 2014, 18:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
2400 sounds a tad bit much.

Just happened across this thread.How are the mods on your motorcycle going?

When you say dealer do you mean the authorized spares dealer or did you enquire at the RE showroom?

http://images.royalspares.com/part_m...E-Thunderbird/

If you could tell me exactly which part.I can enquire about it.
Part 16 in the below link. I guess the name varies from place to place. I'd picked up "yoke" from Hitchcock. Head bracket sounds better in a way. Anyway, I didn't ask the RE showroom guys. I'd asked an auto spares dealer (Saini Auto Spares, Margao). I'm also interested in the handlebar clamps and the headlamp holders (parts 13 and 17+18).

http://images.royalspares.com/part_m...erbird/027.jpg

Mods are going slow as I don't have another vehicle and I have a day job (so I have to ride it back every evening). But the good thing is, my office has a small workshop space (with tools) that I keep using to fiddle around with my Bull. At the moment, I have a slightly modded tank and a newly made scrambler seat.

Also, I'm looking for a slightly smaller headlight to replace the stock bulky assembly (which is why I need the head bracket). Any suggestions?

Most Viewed