Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2009, 16:55   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
I have got my circuit checked as well. All is OK. Definately a battery failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
520 bucks - UPS battery. The bherry best to use !
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
for an RX100 (non starter application) a UPS type battery costing 500-600 is VFM.
Please check your RR unit, battery dying out after a 220km run is a sign of overcharging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
how does a UPS battery (which is not ment for this application anyway) offer any advantage? Yes, it would be maintainence free... but any other benifit other than that?
Hi whitesquall, your RX100 is originally a 6V system modded to run 12V, and you've got a failed batt cell after a long high speed run. arpandiv is absolutely right, your rectifier/regulator is at fault here - it's not cutting out the charging current to your batt once it's fully charged, so the plates of one cell (the weakest) warped, and the battery went bust. In fact, all the cells are most likely damaged.

To check your electrics, you'll need to install a new battery, and also install a voltmeter and ammeter temporarily on to your handlebars. Do another long drive and watch these meters. If the batt voltage is above 13V and the ammeter still shows a continuous output, you've got your answer. You might save the batt to some extent by riding with your headlamps on when doing these fast long runs.

UPS batts are not meant for the hot, vibrating environment of a m/cycle batt box, nor can they tolerate the rapid charge at high amps from a bike's electrics. Go for regular two-wheeler batts, unless you use your bike in a very grandmotherly fashion .
Old 24th February 2009, 12:01   #17
BHPian

I replaced my bike battery with a new excide dry battery and I am yet to test how it bahaves on long runs. . .

@SS-Traveller: The Rectifier/Regulator is a new unit designed for 12V circuit and I have got it checked by qualified electricians quite a few times and all looks fine. I am still not clear why this happened!!
Old 22nd September 2010, 07:21   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Just an update.
I bought one last month for 1000.
Maintainance free, 60 Month warranty.

Warranty came in handy as the battery died and was replaced with a new one today.
This battery died in June this year. A service life of one year.
Threw it out and bought an Amco at 1050 yesterday.

I am never buying an Amaron for my bike ever again. Was not even interested in the warranty bit.

My old exide had lasted almost 6 years. When disposed it had a voltage of around 7 volts. But it still played the horns. This battery showed a voltage of 10 volts but no power to play the horns etc.

Horns are Roots vibrosonics.
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thats strange and sad... as I know MANY people who are using them without any issues. You didn't even claim warranty?? And btw, its not a good idea at all to use the batts that are as weak as you have described.

Last edited by Raccoon : 22nd September 2010 at 13:30.
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:53   #20
Team-BHP Support

Raccoon.

I bought the Amaron in Feb 2009. It died in May and was replaced. This replacement battery died in June 2010.

I was not interested in them anymore.

Why is it a bad idea to run a bike with low voltage battery?
My bike is a 2003, Thunderbird w/o electric start.
The battery is only for the rear light, parking light and the horns.
The horns are Virbosonics with a cutout.

None of the electricals are used with the bike engine off.
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well, look at it this way - you bought a product and are not at all happy with it. Now how would the company know that? Obviously if you claim warranty. I feel its a way to make them responsible for their products and even learn as to why the products fail when they do. If you simply throw it away in disgust, none of that happens. So even if you don't care about your money, its worth doing it, IMO.

2003 Thunderbird? Maybe thats why the battery failed. Probably your bike does not like VRLA batteries. I also vaguely recall reading such experiences online.

Anyway, sad that your battery failed, but at least it did not ruin your bike. The same cannot be said for Amcos and Exides as both these brands are of v poor quality and tend to leak acid and vent gas and ruin metal around them. If I were you, I'd keep a VERY close watch on that Amco.

Battery acts as a buffer in the circuit. If battery is on its last legs, then it can't do that job very well, and you risk blowing your electricals (RR, etc) or maybe even reducing their life.
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:45   #22
Team-BHP Support

For all the poor quality attributed to Exides and Amco's they do last long.

Quote:
Probably your bike does not like VRLA batteries.
I agree. This is the most probable reason behind this failure.
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:08   #23
BHPian

AMRON batteries are know for the defective batteries than their proclaimed 30+30 months warranty. But you should claim for the replacement and am sure that you will get a replacement without much hassles as its a normal routine work for them Its coming from the factory as pre charged and its ready to use at any time may be it can be one of the reason for the premature life cycle.

Am using a Amron 9AH Pro rider for the past 1.5 years and so far so good, but after that I've recommended to many of my friends and 4 of them got defective and duly replaced without much questions asked.

I would suggest to go for a sealed battery as the wet types are mostly leaking and the battery posts and other parts will get corroded due to the acid fumes. I've replaced my battery clamp and frame repainted just because of this wet types

Pls check the charging rates before going to use a new battery. RR can play a vital role in this.

Last edited by sajjt : 22nd September 2010 at 16:10.
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol, my experience is just the opposite! Many/most don't last half as long as other better batteries. Seriously, you should have tried Base Terminal or even Tata Green.

I'v had good things to say about Base Terminal batteries in the past, but last week the BT in my bike let me down. Turned out that one of the wires (+ or - ve , can't recall) had simply come off. Seems this happened due to corrosion where the wire is soldered to the terminal. I was pretty miffed, and quickly too the battery to the BT dealer. He said no problem they simply have to soldier the wire back to the terminal. Cost Rs. 30. Still to get my battery back.

The battery is now maybe 19 months old. Till date the battery itself has been really good and seems the sel-discharge is low as I have never found it weak even after sitting unused in my bike for 2-3 weeks at a stretch, several times. No trace of leakage or even vapour/gas. But this incident of wire coming off does tarnish its image as an entirely trouble-free performer.

Still, an Amco or Exide would have belched acid and gas and ruined my bike quite a bit by now. And repainting will not make you forget the issue, as the acid is strong enough to eat into and disfigure any bike. Also, you cannot really match the paint quality done at the factory. Not to mention its too much of a hassle. So such pathetically low quality batts are always a big risk for your bike. Not to mention that if they loose electrolyte like that, the batteries will not last much.

Last edited by Raccoon : 22nd September 2010 at 16:51.
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:51   #25
Team-BHP Support

I will keep you posted on how the Amco in my bike behaves itself.

Did you not apply some petroleum jelly on the battery connectors?
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

^^^No, its not required on the kind of batteries that have wires coming out of the terminals. You need petroleum jelly only for the type where the bike's wires connect to the terminals using a nut and bolt.

And btw, I have always covered the terminal + nut & bolt with plenty petroleum jelly (not Vaseline - its too thin!!). Goes without saying that drain pipe is always attached correctly and electrolyte is never above MAX. But still the corrosion and leakage can be so heavy that not only can it cause major damage to the bike, but once the nut and bolt itself was so badly corroded that small pieces of it would just break off when I tried to remove it!! In fact I could not remove it myself, and had to take it to the Hero Honda ASC. Apparently the mechanic there was also not able to remove it properly and ended up breaking the battery grounding wire connector. He told me it was heavily corroded itself, but I doubt that as its made of copper. He even ended up damaging the terminal a bit too. But I'm not sure how much I can blame him, as the corrosion was THAT heavy. And note that all this happened in just about a couple of months!

So to summarise, the Amco has spolit my swingarm, the battery cage, paint and metal around it, corroded 3 nut + bolts, and now even destroyed the grounding wire. And none of the HH ASC's have one in stock. They have placed an order with HH, but meanwhile I cannot use the bike. And its gonna take a long time to procure it.

Thats the material loss I'v experienced with my new bike. Time and other losses can't even be quantified. So what do you think about Amco?

Last edited by Raccoon : 22nd September 2010 at 17:10.
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:11   #27
Team-BHP Support

Raccoon.

I have had these batteries in a Splendour(1999-2002) and in my current bike RE (2003-2009) without any corrosion issues.

Petroleum jelly on the terminals, the exhaust pipe connected. Never faced this corrosion issue.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd September 2010 at 17:12.
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised to read about some people experiencing poor quality of Amaron batteries. According to online hearsay, they are some of the best out there.
Anyway, I was also looking out of replacing my stock Pulsar Exide with an Amaron, but difficulty in procuring one made me go for an Exide Freedom.
Shortly afterwards, last sunday to be precise, my bike ran out of electricity.
Checked the fuse, seemed okay, so I collected my battery warranty card and stormed off to the shop that sold me it. All the time berating myself for not getting an Amaron instead.
As it turns out, the issue wasnt with my battery, which was fine, but it simply wasnt charging because of a faulty regulator.

EDIT : Its not an Exide Freedom, but an Exide Bikerz battery. Cost 1550 bucks.

Last edited by sajo : 22nd September 2010 at 17:34.
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I agree. This is the most probable reason behind this failure.
Quote:
Raccoon.

I have had these batteries in a Splendour(1999-2002) and in my current bike RE (2003-2009) without any corrosion issues.

Petroleum jelly on the terminals, the exhaust pipe connected. Never faced this corrosion issue.
Yes, I know that not all users of these brands experience these problems. But a LOT many like me have. And its not just me, have experienced this in other bikes too. Even at workshops. A lot many users on tbhp have also posted similar experiences elsewhere. So question is - are these 2 awful brands worth the risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I am surprised to read about some people experiencing poor quality of Amaron batteries. According to online hearsay, they are some of the best out there.
Anyway, I was also looking out of replacing my stock Pulsar Exide with an Amaron, but difficulty in procuring one made me go for an Exide Freedom.
Shortly afterwards, last sunday to be precise, my bike ran out of electricity.
Checked the fuse, seemed okay, so I collected my battery warranty card and stormed off to the shop that sold me it. All the time berating myself for not getting an Amaron instead.
As it turns out, the issue wasnt with my battery, which was fine, but it simply wasnt charging because of a faulty regulator.

EDIT : Its not an Exide Freedom, but an Exide Bikerz battery. Cost 1550 bucks.
Yes, before we blame batts, we have to check that the charging system is upto the job. So in bblost's case, we don't really know if its Amaron that is at fault.

Btw, as I'v mentioned - its not really difficult to procure whatever brand you want. Just try finding a dealer/distributor/company helpline/head office number on the net and call them. Most will be more than willing to home deliver or at least tell you the nearest place where you can find their products.
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:10   #30
Team-BHP Support

In my case I am very sure its the Amaron battery that is at fault. I had the entire wiring checked and verified by my trusted electrician. The voltages generated in the bike, while running etc were verified.

Maybe th Amaron's are good for modern bikes. But I will stick to the Exides and Amco's for my bike and will continue to avoid the Amaron like plague as far as bikes are concerned.

2 batteries dead between Jan 2009 and July 2010. No thanks. I don't need Amarons anywhere near my bike.

Interestingly I have an amaron running quite well in my car.

Most Viewed