Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:32   #1

Mods for RTR

Hi all,
This being my first post, let me give out a few details.

I own an Apache RTR, bought last Aug 2007. I have clocked a decent 12500kms on my bike. This past 1 year on the bike has been quite a satisfying journey. Apart from small falls and small niggles (I had a jammed accelarator which ensued in a fall and a small fracture - thats the smalles ). But the joy and pleasure that i have had while riding it has just been worth it.

Now for the reason of this thread:
I have been scouting across threads and forums for some suggestions. I am looking at modding the RTR the following way:

1) New BS29 Carbs and upjetting.
2) Is a new AirFilter like a UNI needed, are there proven benefits - The universal doubt across all indian bikers.
3) New rear tires - looking for IRC brand as the R15 ones are not available yet and even if they are rim sizes differ.
4) If possible someone who can make a good free flow exhaust.. not dabba cans or other ****.

With all these mods, what is the benefit i can expect - around 15 -20%??
If anyone knows a good mechanic for this in Pune - please advice.

Cheers
Naren
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Naren,

Congrats on a happy journey with your RTR. I also owned for nearly 5500 kms and then had to part with it due to a hand injury. All good things come to an end!!! :(

Well coming to modding the RTR, I dont know if you have come across this article on the net where TVS Racing themselves have developed a racing kit for Carb-RTR's costing around 8000 bucks. This includes new carbs, free flow exhaust & air filter & a few more things i cannot recollect. I am sorry i dont have the link book marked and am not able to provide it to you.

These kits are supposed to be available in the showroom. The BHP of the bike is claimed to be 20.5bhp after installing the racing kit. But TVS says that these are not legally approved kits and only used for Racing. There are all the chances that if caught by the police when riding with the kit, you might be fined for it. This holds true even if you mod your bike locally by any other mechanic so dont think it should be much of a bother for you.

So if you approach a TVS dealer and check with him, you will have a legit racing kit developed by TVS Racing in your bike and you will be able to satisfy your need for speed as well without having to worry about the authenticity of the mods.

Hope this helps and have a nice time with your RTR!!!
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Hi Naren,

Congrats on a happy journey with your RTR. I also owned for nearly 5500 kms and then had to part with it due to a hand injury. All good things come to an end!!! :(

Well coming to modding the RTR, I dont know if you have come across this article on the net where TVS Racing themselves have developed a racing kit for Carb-RTR's costing around 8000 bucks. This includes new carbs, free flow exhaust & air filter & a few more things i cannot recollect. I am sorry i dont have the link book marked and am not able to provide it to you.

These kits are supposed to be available in the showroom. The BHP of the bike is claimed to be 20.5bhp after installing the racing kit. But TVS says that these are not legally approved kits and only used for Racing. There are all the chances that if caught by the police when riding with the kit, you might be fined for it. This holds true even if you mod your bike locally by any other mechanic so dont think it should be much of a bother for you.

So if you approach a TVS dealer and check with him, you will have a legit racing kit developed by TVS Racing in your bike and you will be able to satisfy your need for speed as well without having to worry about the authenticity of the mods.

Hope this helps and have a nice time with your RTR!!!
Oh that one, that has been in news since the time of RTR's launch. I hope they do get it - it is supposed to have the following ingredients - new sparks, new head and a free flow exhaust - 18.5bhp.

The 21 bhp version is the RTR Tvs uses for its Group D races i think.

But then i have waited long enough, so want to know if there are things that can be done by a good mechanic instead of waiting for a company's PR news

Cheers
Naren
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenr_nair View Post
Hi all,
Now for the reason of this thread:
I have been scouting across threads and forums for some suggestions. I am looking at modding the RTR the following way:

1) New BS29 Carbs and upjetting.
2) Is a new AirFilter like a UNI needed, are there proven benefits - The universal doubt across all indian bikers.
3) New rear tires - looking for IRC brand as the R15 ones are not available yet and even if they are rim sizes differ.
4) If possible someone who can make a good free flow exhaust.. not dabba cans or other ****.

With all these mods, what is the benefit i can expect - around 15 -20%??
If anyone knows a good mechanic for this in Pune - please advice.
1) I got no knowledge about this
2) The KnN/UNI filters though FF (free flow) in nature, they don't offer too much of a gain in performance for the money invested. Better just stick to stock. There's is another consideration of taking in more dust, but there are ways and means of getting around this to a certain extent.
3) Whatever you do, don't upsize the tyres. As far as IRC is concerned. It is a soft compound tyre and will wear out pretty soon 10K tops. So keep that in mind. Or I maybe wrong if they have different compound tyres in their range too.
4) Keep the FF exhast as one of your last mods, first try whatever you can extract with just engine mods. Simple reason being, that FF is cop trouble and it is an added overheard of a lot of expenses too. Plus you might just end up being satisfied with what you can get out of engine itself.

PS: For any RTR mods, Joeljoe is the best person to get info from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

The Performance Kit is yet to be released from TVS. They have putting this on hold for quite sometime now. And the info I heard, put the cost of this 'Kit' upwards of 12K.
Plus the 20.5Bhp claimed bike is actually the Race Prepped RTR and not the RTR+PEK (Performance Enhancement Kit). The PEK RTR is claimed to put out somewhere around 17-18 PS.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
1) I got no knowledge about this
2) The KnN/UNI filters though FF (free flow) in nature, they don't offer too much of a gain in performance for the money invested. Better just stick to stock. There's is another consideration of taking in more dust, but there are ways and means of getting around this to a certain extent.
3) Whatever you do, don't upsize the tyres. As far as IRC is concerned. It is a soft compound tyre and will wear out pretty soon 10K tops. So keep that in mind. Or I maybe wrong if they have different compound tyres in their range too.
4) Keep the FF exhast as one of your last mods, first try whatever you can extract with just engine mods. Simple reason being, that FF is cop trouble and it is an added overheard of a lot of expenses too. Plus you might just end up being satisfied with what you can get out of engine itself.

PS: For any RTR mods, Joeljoe is the best person to get info from!

The Performance Kit is yet to be released from TVS. They have putting this on hold for quite sometime now. And the info I heard, put the cost of this 'Kit' upwards of 12K.
Plus the 20.5Bhp claimed bike is actually the Race Prepped RTR and not the RTR+PEK (Performance Enhancement Kit). The PEK RTR is claimed to put out somewhere around 17-18 PS.
Thanks Praful, I dont plan to upsize - the size stays the same, but want a better grip. The showrooms still say the PEK is on its way.. no one knows when!

If all this is too complex, i might as well think gettin a RX135 n modding it. To get it to good speed including the bike i dont think should cost more than 25k - a good street mod.
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

One can do wonders with just upjetting and proper tuning on the RTR. Do get in touch with Joel, atleast he's the best I know there is with the Apache family!

All depends on what you want to achieve at the end of the day!

Well getting a decent Rx these days is pretty rare as most owners thrash their bikes to the max. You'll be lucky if you find some uncle who rides below 50 all the time is ready to sell his bike. Then even with the Rx there so much one can do....its all about how far one is wanting/willing to go!
Old 22nd August 2008, 18:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenr_nair View Post

If all this is too complex, i might as well think gettin a RX135 n modding it. To get it to good speed including the bike i dont think should cost more than 25k - a good street mod.
This is a better option in my opinion. You can get a really good mechanic to perform a street mod for the RX135 and you will get a superb performer of a bike for about 25-30k including the mods.. Kudos and do let us know what you do!!

Coming to the PEK, I was not aware that it is still being postponed by the company... Apologies for my ignorance on that front!!
Old 27th August 2008, 21:26   #8
BHPian

The BS 29 will be a bad idea,and group D bikes are stock class,just chop the head for more compression.About 0.5 mm,and see a big difference in power.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks