Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 18:31   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
No offence, but IMO seating postion is more of a personal thing. Some maybe built in a particular way that a certain bike suits them which might not be the case for others. Also, its also a about getting used to a particular postion, especially if one has been riding in different position for a long time.
While that may be true to some extent, it isn't the end. Getting into specifics- lets say the wrist part that I spoke about earlier. The angle at the wrist joint between the forearm and the palm decides how comfortable it would be over long hauls. A zero-degree angle means the forearm and the wrist in line with each other- while results in almost zero fatigue at that body joint. Although it is tough to attain such a position even on a pukka commuter bike, think for a moment about off-road bikes with extremely high (but straight, unlike custom cruisers) handlebars. They are comfortable while one is perched on the saddle, and are a necessity because they are mostly used with riders standing on the footpegs, placing enormous amount of stress on the wrists- they would almost be unrideable if they are strapped with regular bikes' handlebars.

Now as you start increasing the angle between the palm and forearm, the discomfort increases proportionately, since the wrist joint starts to bear a larger portion of your upper body weight as this angle increases. So if you are on a bike which has a low slung handlebar but not a proportionately low seating position, this angle will be close to the max possible (which is 90-degrees) and hence the discomfort will be more.
Contrary to this, if you are on a bike with a low slung handlebar but with a complementing low seating position, this angle will not be close to 90-degree but much lesser, leading to better ergonomics as far as the wrist-forearm portion is concerned.

The RTR fits the bill for the first example, whereas R15 can be taken as a benchmark for the second one.

And yes, to quote from your post, these factors do remain constant irrespective of one's build (or length of arms, whatever). Neither does getting used to one riding position matter... Human body is much more sensitive to change of environment, especially when it comes to discomfort. But having a extra-hefty built is a strict no-no for both these machines. One of my colleagues who is 6' 3" tried to ride the R15 almost crashed it at the first corner since even before full lock the handlebar was hitting his thighs. Man was he dissapointed...

Hope this clears it...

Last edited by doomsday : 25th August 2008 at 18:38.
Old 25th September 2008, 14:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Sammy I have made up my mind what about you
Old 25th September 2008, 14:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hey Techno, Congrats so what bike you finally going for?
I have had to postpone my purchase, have to redirect the money for some other needs :( butttttt u never know heh heh
Old 25th September 2008, 17:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Read My signature
Old 25th September 2008, 17:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Read My signature
Congrats!

So is it a Carb or Fi? And do you still have the ZMA? Is this a replacement for the ZMA, or does the ZMA stay for tours?
Old 25th September 2008, 17:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Techno!

Do post the pics when you get the bike!
Old 25th September 2008, 18:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

@praful: Sold of the zma last year. Since this time I needed a commuter & was on a budget I have selected carb RTR.

@Sankar: Sure man delivery is expected either on Monday evening or Tuesday Morning
Old 25th September 2008, 18:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@praful: Sold of the zma last year. Since this time I needed a commuter & was on a budget I have selected carb RTR.
Damn I missed that somewhere! Anyways, congrats nonetheless! You're moving from one excellent bike to another!

Do shower the forum with some pics!
Old 25th September 2008, 18:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

Yes will be posting a detailed thread
Old 25th September 2008, 18:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Read My signature
heyyy finally, congrats man. But any specific reason for going ahead with the carb over the fi? Will be waiting for the pics and a report .
Old 25th September 2008, 18:40   #41
BHPian

The newer FZ-16 is the best-looking street bike with exceptional handling. One can cut-through the traffic like no other bike in India currently (just got the bikeindia issue and read through the road test). 0 to 60 in 5.5 sec and 0-80 in 11 sec. The lower end and mid range grunt is of the best in 150cc class.

Those who are looking for a bike for city riding, could consider this bike.
Old 25th September 2008, 18:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

@Ravi - You have a point, but then I have heard that the pillion seat on it is a joke.
Can someone clarify this because a lot of the users are likely to have a partner with them.
Old 25th September 2008, 18:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Well its priced 9k over carb here in Pune & at that price I would prefer a P200 which is 1k less that RTR Fi. Also since the bike would be used for 90% commuting & 10% weekend rides I didnt want to spend much.

I hope this clears
Old 25th September 2008, 18:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
@Ravi - You have a point, but then I have heard that the pillion seat on it is a joke.
Can someone clarify this because a lot of the users are likely to have a partner with them.
If the pillion sit astride, not much of problem. One side sitting is strictly uncomfortable.
Old 25th September 2008, 19:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well its priced 9k over carb here in Pune & at that price I would prefer a P200 which is 1k less that RTR Fi. Also since the bike would be used for 90% commuting & 10% weekend rides I didnt want to spend much.

I hope this clears
Oh yeah makes sense. Best of both worlds. Good decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
If the pillion sit astride, not much of problem. One side sitting is strictly uncomfortable.
heh heh, yeah I cant imagine anyone being able to sit facing the side unless one travels with a circus performer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks