Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:11   #1
BHPian

Bike Purchase Dilemma

1)Could you guys help my friend out with the current prices of some bikes? More specifically:-
Apache RTR Fi
Pulsar 150/180/200
Honda Unicorn
Yamaha R15
Yamaha Gladiator
and any others that you might have knowledge about.

2)Some recommendations would be greatly appreciated. His criteria is resonable price/performance/economy ratio but with a focuss on performance.

Thanks to all of you in advance

Last edited by Amien : 23rd August 2008 at 20:13. Reason: added point 2
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

For prices and other information check out INDIABIKE.COM - Buying/Selling Two Wheelers, Bike Finance, Prices, Auto Industry News & Reviews.
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think he sounds like a regular average joe (no disrespect meant). We can here or on xbhp go blue in the face, but its best for him to go take a TD of each. His heart will tell him the answer. Except ZMA/p220/r15 - none will break the bank.
Old 23rd August 2008, 23:29   #4
BHPian

@straight6
thanks a ton , that website is immensely usefull. .Although, prices for the R15,RTR and a few more are not available :(

@phamilyman
He's actually very interested in motoring with a good understanding of technical specs but has never owned a bike before. Also, he doesn't want to TD them for lack of time apparently, and me TDing them on his behalf makes no sense, nor is it something i want to do. its a little wierd, simply put, he will buy what sounds best on paper, so some figures/first hand experience/comparisions would be nice(from the members).
Again, many thanks!
Old 25th August 2008, 10:29   #5
BHPian

What would be dialy usage in terms of kms ? does he intends to take the bike on long rides. most importantly is he a concerned more about fe or is he a powerfreak minded person.
Old 25th August 2008, 10:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Okay, if performance is the criteria then go for either R15 or RTR-EFI depending on the budget. The difference in the prices of the two is around 30K.

Last edited by safari_lover : 25th August 2008 at 10:46.
Old 25th August 2008, 10:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

RTR Fi is the way to go as of now
decent balance of power and economy
Old 25th August 2008, 10:46   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien;950415 he will [B
buy what sounds best on paper[/b], so some figures/first hand experience/comparisions would be nice(from the members).
Again, many thanks!

Is it only me or does anyone else find this line very funny.
Old 25th August 2008, 10:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well first things first, whats the max budget?
Next, wats the kindda average ur buddy is looking at? Also what would be the primary purpose of the bike (office/college commuter, weekend fun, etc)?
Old 25th August 2008, 10:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

+1.

To give you an understanding. It was my spec TD that helped my bro to buy the Indica Xeta (what torque) - what we missed was the quality and A.S.S experience
Old 25th August 2008, 11:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
1)Could you guys help my friend out with the current prices of some bikes? More specifically:-
Apache RTR Fi
Pulsar 150/180/200
Honda Unicorn
Yamaha R15
Yamaha Gladiator
and any others that you might have knowledge about.

2)Some recommendations would be greatly appreciated. His criteria is resonable price/performance/economy ratio but with a focuss on performance.

Thanks to all of you in advance
I would like to add the HH Hunk here. The bike is a slow seller but commands good ride comfort, amazing handling, decent fuel economy and stylish looks.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:35   #12
BHPian

@praJEEP
He's thinking of a bike cause of rush hour congestion and parking hassles. It will be used daily for college etc.

@safari lover
Yup, considering those two , although the R15 costs a little more than he would want to spend on a bike.

@akshay4587
Leaning towards the RTR myself

@bblost
I found it funny while typing too :P

@praful
max budget is actually not decided yet, i mean he's willing to spend around a lakh provided its good value for money, if it can be done for less then all the better. Bike will be used daily(maybe 5 days a week) within city limits.

@amtak
I suggested hunk but he said no cause he doesnt like the name @_@

As before, thanks a ton for the replies guys.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ok, as per what you say...these are my input based on the bikes you have shortlisted.

Apache RTR Fi
The best part of this bike is its blistering performance, its got enough midrange grunt to keep up with the big boys and still get a decent fuel economy. Plus the eFi giving a smoother character over its carb sibling. Plus TVS engineering has pretty high standards of quality, so thats one aspect you definitely would'nt have to worry about.
It will definitely not dent your budget too much, plus it won't be a fuel drinker and above all its got superb handling and performance. This is definitely my #1 choice.

Pulsar 150/180/200
Between the Pulsar I'd say you always have better options in market, unless you are specifically looking at the 220/200.
Why not to buy a pulsie? Well every tom, dick and harry has it. Plus they aren't that great when it comes to overall quality, and they definitely don't have class leading performance, neither are good handlers. Still they sell like hotcakes....gawd only knows why! Absolutely not recommended.

Honda Unicorn
You can't go wrong with a Honda. The bike is very very comfortable, the engine is one of the most refined ones around. And it aint that expensive too...plus it gives great mileage too. If one's looking at commuting in the city, plus a lil touring here and there and doesn't give a damn about a few seconds difference in 0-60s and 0-100s then this is definitely the bike to buy. My #2 recommendation for you.

Yamaha R15
Ah, the king of the track. But sadly does'nt translate that might on the road that much. The bike definitely performs as much as the 200cc+ boys, but it needs to be ridden with surgical precision to get the max out of it. There is hardly any power under 7K RPM and that something really important in the city. The 6th cog is practically useless inside the city. The speedo has errors on the higher side. But nothing in the country can match the feel of this bike. It is the most refined bike in the country, and I'd say its an amazing tourer despite the sporty stance. The only issue with buying this bike would be the 1Lakh+ gandhi's you'll need to shell out for this baby. Its definitely worth its money, but not for someone who like to get a kick in the family jewels once you ring the throttle.
Go for it only if you wanna spend that much money and are aware of the few shortcomings of the bike.

Yamaha Gladiator
A 125 and still manages to look better than most bikes around. The large size gives it a big bike feel and its cheap plus will give you great mileage too. The performance is decent for a 125 too. If one is too power hungry then definitely go for this to save on money.

But at the end of the day, no matter how busy your friend....I would still suggest that he take a TD no matter what. Nothing replaces first hand experience.
Old 25th August 2008, 18:24   #14
BHPian

@praful
This post has been immensely usefull, things are much clearer now
I was always worried a bit about the low-end of the R15. And i second your thoughts on test driving them, i guess i will drag him to TD the RTR and the Unicorn when possible. It looks like it'll be one of these two.
Many thanks.
Old 26th August 2008, 10:05   #15
SuperSyn

Honda Unicorn. I detest the HMSI dealers (all lowlifes, all the time) when it comes to service. But the bike itself is great. The all-rounder 150cc, in my opinion.

Most Viewed