Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2008, 14:21   #1
Team-BHP Support

Bajaj Auto to launch LPG bike

Quote:
NEW DELHI, MAY 4 : The country’s first LPG-run motorcycle is around the corner with Bajaj Auto giving the bi-fuel bikes, built on its Platina model, to customers in cities like Sangli and Ahmedabad for testing.
The LPG bike is being tested and sports a 4-litre LPG cylinder apart from having a 10-litre tank for petrol, a company source told FE here. ‘‘We have given the LPG-run bikes to customers in Ahmedabad and Sangli and the response from them is very good, especially as it increases the operating cost of the vehicles by as much as 35-40%,’’ the source said.

The movement to bi-fuel platform is something what the company has been talking for some time and Bajaj is now working on tuning the price of the vehicle before it is made commercially available in cities that have auto LPG-fueling centres. The 4-litre LPG cyclinder gives a mileage of 200 kms at one go, making it an adequate vehicle for in-city driving.
‘‘As per our cost structure, the overall cost of the vehicle goes up as much as Rs 9,000 if an LPG engine is offered on the bikes. However, the market feedback that we have got is that the price should not be higher than Rs 5,000-6,000,’’ the source said.
Bajaj Auto, which is believed to be sourcing some of the components for the LPG kits from Italian suppliers, is negotiating with the vendors to rationalise costs, especially as the demand for the vehicle may increase once it is commercially available.
‘‘Price rationalisation is something that we are working on,’’ the source said.
The source said the company had incorporated ‘‘requisite safety features’’ in the LPG bikes, especially to take care of issues like leakage of gas or cylinder overheating.
Bajaj Auto to launch LPG bike

and also

AutoIndia.com - Bajaj Is Getting Ready To Launch CNG/LPG 2-Wheelers

This is going to be very interesting.
Old 1st September 2008, 20:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why haven't they released pictures? I'm sure the tank will look weird.
Old 2nd September 2008, 09:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Why haven't they released pictures? I'm sure the tank will look weird.
I don't think so as it is just 4 lit tank rest is petrol. I am not sure if LPG and Petrol tanks can be fitted side by side.It can be dangerous. Also how safe it is if bike meets accident and tank burst.
Old 11th October 2008, 21:43   #4
BHPian

i agree with you aka iitd. there is already so much risk in riding a two wheeler. i dont think it is wise to take so much risk in a two wheeler to keep petrol and lpg tank beside each other. might be dangerous
Old 11th October 2008, 22:04   #5
BHPian

I am sure a company like this would have thought about all the downfalls and risks before coming out with a bike like this. With the gas cylinders going through so much of abuse in an autorickshaw, Im sure it will do good on a motorcycle. The only thing Im worried about is the cylinder being exposed directly to sunlight but Im sure it is strategically placed.

-pat-
Old 11th October 2008, 22:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am sure they will launch this bike just after they launch the Ninja 250 , thats uh ..2050
Old 11th October 2008, 22:20   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I don't think so as it is just 4 lit tank rest is petrol. I am not sure if LPG and Petrol tanks can be fitted side by side.It can be dangerous. Also how safe it is if bike meets accident and tank burst.
Family jewels would be scattered all over the place Well.. er.. actually that might be the least of the rider's concern in such a scenario!

SOme time back i remember seeing aftermarket gas kits installed on some bikes and the one i remember was installed on a Bullet. The LPG tank used is similar to the ones used as portable stoves or lanterns. It's mounted to the side of the bike and the contraption looks very very unsafe.
Old 11th October 2008, 22:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

The last I heard about this was when the LPG Platina bikes were sold ( or leased, I dont remember perfectly ) to area around A'bad to gauge a review. Then came the news, tank is small, safety, etc and then no news about the bike.

Seriously they must be in the market by now if Bajaj was so sure about these bike's success. But with the petrol pricies not stable, nobody can perfectly say if the bikes with LPG will be commercial success or not.
Old 12th October 2008, 06:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The last I heard about this was when the LPG Platina bikes were sold ( or leased, I dont remember perfectly ) to area around A'bad to gauge a review. Then came the news, tank is small, safety, etc and then no news about the bike.

Seriously they must be in the market by now if Bajaj was so sure about these bike's success. But with the petrol pricies not stable, nobody can perfectly say if the bikes with LPG will be commercial success or not.
i sumhow did not hear about lpg platinas. post some pictures of the bike if you have any. must be a sight to spot such a different bike
Old 14th October 2008, 14:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
.... ‘‘We have given the LPG-run bikes to customers in Ahmedabad and Sangli and the response from them is very good, especially as it increases the operating cost of the vehicles by as much as 35-40%,’’ the source said.....
How can increase in operation cost by 35-40% be a good thing for the customers! Seems a typo.
Old 17th October 2008, 12:09   #11
BHPian

I had a Samurai fitted with a LPG tank in my native.
The LPG tank was on the right side where they usually have the boxes installed for carrying luggage.
The tank was 4kgs wait and used to last until 250-300kms.

Most Viewed