Team-BHP - Gonna buy a new Thunderbird - Pls suggest engine oil
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Gonna buy a new Thunderbird - Pls suggest engine oil (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/45300-gonna-buy-new-thunderbird-pls-suggest-engine-oil.html)

Guyes... After a long wait for a good deal for aquila ,Finally i have made up my mind that i am going for the Thunderbird 350.Company is claiming the average of 45 km/liter.I was very pleased to know that.But also came the news that the royal enfield has recommeded one specific engine oil which cost 700 per litre.so for every service i have to spend Rs 1400 just for the oil.Please suggest me some engine oil that is cheaper than that but effective..

congrats on your purchase

i had one of the earliest t birds in hyd and ive never recieved more than 35kmpl on it.
700 rs for a litre of oil man must be some gimmick find out what it is excatly

dude, that must be some excited biker friend. 700 bucks a liter is the cost of synthetic. All bullets run normally on regular sadaa 20w40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhishekjp (Post 966238)
But also came the news that the royal enfield has recommeded one specific engine oil which cost 700 per litre.so for every service i have to spend Rs 1400 just for the oil.Please suggest me some engine oil that is cheaper than that but effective..

Dude relax I Just went to Get my Bike serviced 2 months back at the workshop and they had just off loaded a 200 Lt Engine oil drum from a tempo specially for the UCE T BIrd the Oil Was MOtul 3000 4T,which is a regular mineral oil so i dont know about other places but atleast in delhi thats whats going to be put in the new T Birds.

And be rest assured Motul 3000 4T is not more than 200/rs a lt

dude, like b2bw says, dont worry. in bangalore the tbts motul oil costs 190/- a liter at the dealer service center.

700 Rs/L would be the price of a synthetic oil.

I have a TBird for 5+ yrs and have never filled in the synthetic oils. I always use Castrol GTX. Normally engine oil changes are done every 4K kms (thats what i do). The synthetic oil is good for almost twice as many kilometres and costs slightly more than twice the normal oil.

A very good friend of mine and a TBHP member, bblost, uses the synthetic oil on his TBird. He claims much smoother engine performance when compared to the normal oil.

Here is what I would recommend you to do ( only if u are too keen on the synthetic oils) :
- Fill in normal oil for the first 3 services ( when the recommended oil change frequency is higher)
- Once you get to the normal service interval state(after your bike has done 5-7k kms), try the synthetic oil.

The mileage one gets from his vehicle depends upon a LOT of factors. So, slightly lesser or higher mileage is no big deal IMO.

My bike's mileage is 37-40 in the city depending upon the traffic conditions etc. I would want to believe in the company's claim of 45km/l for the TBTS.

Want the best available as of now in India? Try Motul 300V. Yesh, it cost abt 600+ for a litre.

Guyes

I just confirmed with the dealer abt the engine oil for new twin spark plug Thunder bird.The company has recommended to use MOTUL 15W15 oil which costs Rs 700 per litre.They also insist not to to use any other oil to match the new engine requirement.Rs 1400 for every service,just for an oil is just too much for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhishekjp (Post 970463)
Guyes

I just confirmed with the dealer abt the engine oil for new twin spark plug Thunder bird.The company has recommended to use MOTUL 15W15 oil which costs Rs 700 per litre.They also insist not to to use any other oil to match the new engine requirement.Rs 1400 for every service,just for an oil is just too much for me.

the dealer is ripping you off. report to the company and just watch what happens!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan (Post 972829)
the dealer is ripping you off. report to the company and just watch what happens!

Hollywoodhogan is right, some of my friends own the TBTS, i myself booked one couple of weeks ago Rs.700/ltr is absolute ripoff. The Motul3000 4T that most suggested is a standard oil that is used and it wouldnt really make a lot of sense (atleast to me) to put in synthetic oil at 700/ltr just for a bit of extra performance. But I guess its ones own choice. So make yours :thumbs up

After using a lot of different oils, which include shell, mak, castrol, MOTUL and all i have finally found that VEEDOL turbo star is the best out of all. thats what i would suggest but you may not get it easily.

You will get MOTUL in all the RE service centers. If you need other brands, you need to buy yourself.

I am comfortable with MOTUL in my TBTS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 966379)
dude, that must be some excited biker friend. 700 bucks a liter is the cost of synthetic. All bullets run normally on regular sadaa 20w40

Enfield recommends 20w50 oil for the Cast Irons, LBs and AVLs. IMO 20w40 would not be a very prudent choice.

Synthetic (Castrol GTX Magnatec) is what bblost and I are using. The bike runs smoother and It just takes you a few minutes for the better riding feel to sink in. The downside is that its a bit thicker than standard 20w50 and hence your bike has this stalling tendency for the first few minutes of winter mornings. Once you warm her up a bit, Magnatec provides ample justification for the greater cost.

The TBTS UCE engine is an Austrian engine and technologically different from any of the other Enfield engines. That notwithstanding, 20w50 oil does perfectly well for a TBTS...until you have tried her on synthetic that is ::D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhishekjp (Post 970463)
MOTUL 15W15 oil

Thats not even recommended grade. Go to a different dealer for service.

And if possible learn to change the oil yourselves. Its very easy. Overtime the bike will teach you to maintain her.