Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2008, 22:51   #1
BHPian

TVS Scooty TEENZ (Electric) ...I bought it

My wife bought a new Scooty Electric. I thought I will write a review of that here, but my wifey has already put up one on her blog. So I will link to that here to save myself the trouble.

Read the blog here -> Let's Try It!!!: TVS Scooty TEENZ....I bought it

Below is the copy paste from her blog. If you need more info, I would be glad to provide it. I am sure you would be interested in my opinion of the vehicle too - me being 6ft and all of 90+ kilos.

Will do a photo shoot and upload the pics of the vehicle tomorrow.

Quote:
I got the vehicle home finally....after all pooja and all that....I am busy admiring it now....
So...let me tell you what I learnt about it...good bad.....both...

First thing to think was about my usage levels….. I would use it mostly only on weekends…my travel was about 20 to 25 Kms per day…
We had a choice between Yo Bykes and TVS….in fact the Yo Byke was a little better in specifications….but we all voted for TVS….because we have service centers close to home…we can replace parts if required….just the basic trust…
Then test drive…took quite sometime to actually get to see this vehicle in the showroom and take it for a small little ride.
They had three colours….red, black and purple. Always wanted purple…but they said that would take time for delivery…so I decided to go for red….had no intentions of waiting and spending any more time waiting for auto or any more money….
Specifications are like this…1 unit of electricity for 1 full battery charging (not really tested this.) ….even if you take it to be 2 units…it costs about 10 rs….
1 completely charged battery can take you upto 40 Kms (not really checked this too)…lets say 30 Kms….still….its very cheap compared to petrol.

One place where you need to be cautious….manual says maximum speed 40 Kms/hr….thats correct….but this is at low range ….
Meaning…..if you are traveling at 40Km/hr speed….then you will not get 40 Kms per full charge….
There is a switch which can be set to low medium or high. This is the range…..this is what tells you the maximum distance that can be covered per full charge.
The catch is here….
When you set this to low….the total distance you can travel per charge becomes less (donno how much….manual does not say anything)….but you can go upto a speed of 40 Km/hr…when you set this to medium…again the total distance traveled can be something less than 40Km…but a little more than how much you can go with the range as low….but what happens here is that your maximum speed now reduces to 30Km/hr…
When you switch to high…you can travel full 40 Km for the full charge….but the maximum speed drops to 20Km/hr…..

For people who are used to ripping and who love ripping …this is not the vehicle…
It is just not possible to rip….
You must always be at the left side of the road so that you are not clocking other vehicles..

Also…one must be very conservative….battery charge is used when you accelerate, brake, switch on head light, indicator….anything u do…u r using up battery…which effectively reduces the range you can go with the charge…

That was some reality about the vehicle…..let me say whats my opinion…..

I am loving it …..i am thrilled for many reasons
1. I finally have a two wheeler of my own
2. it cost me only 32400…compared to 4L that reva would have costed
3. its got plenty of space under the seat to hold lot of stuff
4. it looks cool….really girly
5. everyone at home really liked it and wanted to take a ride on it…I had thought it had too many things that they could not likie.
6. its slow…but suits me….its making me feel good about going out (I used to rip in a kinetic Honda….now I feel …why on earth was I being fast…its nice to go slow)
7. I will not anyway be using the bike at any time of emergency…hence its slow speed does not bother me too much
8. its for my use within the city to go to places near by (with 10KM range)…hence it serves the purpose
9. extremely low running and maintenance costs
10.service center…very very close to home…

I just got it 2 days back….taken it around for about 30 Kms….will keep posting my experiences with it…

Last edited by herculesksp : 7th September 2008 at 22:52. Reason: too many smilies
herculesksp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2008, 19:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase. I'm watching the vehicle closely since its on my to-buy list. The thing i hate is the body is of the old scooty and not the new one
Old 20th September 2008, 00:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'd like to know if indeed its able to do 40km on one charge.
Old 9th December 2008, 18:47   #4
BHPian

hi how much Kilometers would the battery last & what would be the cost of battery?
Old 9th December 2008, 23:35   #5
SYJ
BHPian

Congrats!! Nice to see some EV's on the forum, but isnt the 40KM range a lil too less for your avg daily commute??
Old 10th December 2008, 07:58   #6
BHPian

congratulation on the new buy. how much time does it take to charge full?
Old 10th March 2009, 22:57   #7
BHPian

Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I'd like to know if indeed its able to do 40km on one charge.
Not really, gives upto 30kms before stuttering, on Bangalore roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerama View Post
hi how much Kilometers would the battery last & what would be the cost of battery?
Dont remember the exact kms it will last, but from the calculations that we made, I remember that if we use it around 30kms a day, it will last 2 years. Cost of replacement is around Rs. 3000 per battery, and there are 4 batterys in the boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYJ View Post
Congrats!! Nice to see some EV's on the forum, but isnt the 40KM range a lil too less for your avg daily commute??
Its enough for in-city commutes, for shopping, visiting relatives places etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
congratulation on the new buy. how much time does it take to charge full?
Takes around 7-8hrs to charge fully. But we dont drain it completely. The moment we take it out and bring it back, we put it for charge. So takes about 4 hrs to top up after each trip. This is as per the advice in the user manual.

Sorry, for the late replies, I hadnt subscribed to this thread somehow. Its now 6 months and we have covered over 1000kms. Its been pretty good and has stood torrential rains and blazing suns. Only that the power meter is very faulty and doesnt indicate the charge correctly. So we consider the distance travelled to check the charge remaining. 30kms on full charge is a safe bet considering the speed breakers, stop and go traffic, ups and downs of bangalore.

The original link doenst work. So please use the following links to read about the teenz on my wife's blog.
Go Green | Dont just see and read... share and converse!

The top 5 posts are her opinions about the Teenz.
herculesksp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2009, 19:25   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice review. I read it with great interest. A 30 km range is too limited, and would kill the deal for most prospective buyers. Plus, my understanding is that performance in the final 5 - 7 kms would be dismal and that range would only detereorate as the battery gets older.

Quote:
When you switch to high…you can travel full 40 Km for the full charge….but the maximum speed drops to 20Km/hr…..
That is so slow that it borders on dangerous! What is the service experience, cost and part availability like?

P.S. Your wife seems to be a pretty regular blogger!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2009, 21:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice review. I read it with great interest. A 30 km range is too limited, and would kill the deal for most prospective buyers. Plus, my understanding is that performance in the final 5 - 7 kms would be dismal and that range would only detereorate as the battery gets older.

That is so slow that it borders on dangerous! What is the service experience, cost and part availability like?
Yup, last 5-7 kms gives you a feeling of stop and go traffic. It starts jerking and you have to gradually rev the accelerator so that you can move forward smoothly.
20kms is very slow indeed and thats why we keep it charged always. Even when she rides 10kms to her mom's place she puts it for charge there.

Service has been pretty good the first 2 times we gave it. The 3rd time we went there, the TVS showroom had shut shop. Prolly the effects of recession. :P

Of course, there is nothing much to service as it has no moving parts except for a DC motor. So its totally maintenance free. They just kept charging it and checking if the 'fuel' meter was working fine. The regular stuff like tyres, lights, body etc are regular scooty parts so spares are pretty cheap if a need arises.

The thing is, that among electric scooters, this advertises the maximum mileage. Others say only 20-30kms on full charge. There is one more non-regular brand that says 45kms, but thats it. Further the ones with larger mileage give a max speed of 20kmph. TVS was the most well balanced one.
Actually, if one is open to goofing around, then one can plug in 2-3 more SLA batteries in the luggage area and that would just about double your mileage. 40kmph is good enuff in Bangalore if you ask me, except during overtaking maneuvers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
P.S. Your wife seems to be a pretty regular blogger!
Yup, both of us enjoy our blogging and thankfully we have different interests and specializations.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th April 2010 at 17:29. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

This is a very old thread but still I would like see some photo's of this bike. Can you post? Put speedometer photo as well.

Thank you.
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:26   #11
BHPian

I also want to know if your battery lasted this 2 years. Did you replace it. How much did it cost you.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:14   #12
BHPian

I was planning to buy an electric scooter and called the tvs showroom here to enquire. But to my shock they said the production of tvs electric has stopped! But , their website is still there!

Scooty Gals
Old 12th July 2010, 10:22   #13
BHPian

TVS stops producing electric vehicles due to low demand

TVS Motor Company says it has put its electric vehicles production plans on hold due to lukewarm response from the market.

The company has shelved plans to launch electric three-wheelers and stopped production of battery powered Scooty Teenz scooter.

"We have an electric three-wheeler, which we had planned to introduce but there is no market for such products. So we don't have any plans to launch it now," TVS Motor Co Marketing President H S Goindi told PTI.

Also, it has no immediate plans to resume production of its electric scooterette, Scooty Teenz Electric, which it stopped manufacturing since May 2009.

"The market is not good for electric two-wheelers. So we are concentrating on our regular scooters and motorcycles," Goindi said. He, however, said some dealers could still be selling company's electric scooterette from their old stocks.

TVS had launched the 'Scooty Teenz Electric' in April 2008 with high hopes of selling around 40,000 units per year.

However, the electric scooterette with an ex-showroom price of Rs 29,900 at the time of launch failed to meet expectations.

Source - Economictimes

So what do the Electric Scooty owners do now ???
yogesa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks