Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2008, 13:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

How to detect Karizma's cam tensioner problem?

i have heard about the this problem many times on other forums as well on Team-bhp. can someone tell me how to diagnos this problem. what are the symptoms, because my bikes warranty will be over soon
Old 8th September 2008, 19:58   #2
BHPian

I think there is some clicking sound from the block. Even I am still to exirience it.
Old 8th September 2008, 20:07   #3
BHPian

its simple.....you will hear a thak thak kind of sound from the engine,more so when u rev it slightly and leave it......its very common in karizma,a cheaper solution is to use the cbz tensioner.
Or u can remove the centre scre from the tensioner and instaed of that fix a small bolt and use a lock nut,cut the rest of the bolt or else ur starter wont fit,the bolt will basically stop the tensioner from releasing backwards...am currently running it on my bike for last 2years after changing the tensioner previously 2times.
Old 8th September 2008, 20:26   #4
BANNED

How good is the CBZ tensioner? If CBZ tensioner works then why are you using the bolt method?

Even i have heard about this Karizma problem from many different sources and am keeping an ear out for strange noises from the engine.

Btw my Karizma started pinging (knocking) from this evening. It will ping when i give throttle in first & second gear like i used to normally, it never used to ping before. I have filled the fuel from the same petrol bunk as i always do and i fill xtrapremium. What could be the reason for this happening all of a sudden?
Old 8th September 2008, 22:52   #5
BHPian

@sankar
The reason for usuing the bolt method is coz its even cheaper then cbz tensioner,infact almost free,all you need is a bolt and a lock nut(hardly rs.10).

Knocking in karizma could be basically only for two reasons.1)adulterated fuel or 2)due to excessively lean mixture(karizma is way too lean jetted from the factory).I am currently running on main jet with a size of 130 on stock filter,and the bike is much better,infact just today i changed my jet to size 140 the performance of the bike has changed dramatically,the bike just pulls in just abt every gear at low speeds........knocking is non existent at the moment..however i feel 140 on stock filter is a little way high.....ill try size 135 tommorow.....

I would suggest that you upgrade ur main jet to a minimum size of 130....
Old 8th September 2008, 23:10   #6
BANNED

Sorpian, where can i source Keihin mainjets of size 140 and 135 locally? Mikuni Jets won't fit right? I haven't yet opened the carb till now.
Old 9th September 2008, 05:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
i have heard about the this problem many times on other forums as well on Team-bhp. can someone tell me how to diagnos this problem. what are the symptoms, because my bikes warranty will be over soon
There will be Loud Knocking/Ratlling sound at Idling(you might experience this even after warming up the engine in case the tensioner is completely Kaput).
This noise can be easily noticed at cold starts,once warmed up the noise usually goes away.
Old 9th September 2008, 06:37   #8
BHPian

@Sankar.
You hit the nail straight on the head.......sourcing or even finding keihin jets is a remote possibilty.
Infact abroad we have dynojetand also just abt everything of the keihin carbs available,but in india there is no support at all,the only method is cut and try method.I managed to get some of my jets from mumbai just by accident,they are not keihin but the guy claimed that he has a jet rimmer which he showed me with sizes starting as low as 90 to sizes as high as 220,i got my jets from him,unfortunately the old man is no more and i am just left with a jet of each size namely 130/135/140.i paid around 300 for each.
I too am looking out for orignal keihin jets but i really cant find a way of soursing them,you guys have been here much longer then me,try to source a few thru friends abroad,am sure there are loads of guys wanting the same.
Old 9th September 2008, 08:48   #9
BHPian

scorpian, the zma has a keihin or mikuni carb?
also how do you get the oversize jets? You can get it custom made or purchase from abroad?
Old 9th September 2008, 09:21   #10
BHPian

I am having the same problem in my Karizma even after changing the cam tensioner. I dont know whether it is related to this problem or not but when the bike is accelerating or in top speed ther "cut" sound and suddenly it feels as if the revs have been interupted or something is holding back the revs.
Old 9th September 2008, 13:37   #11
BHPian

@bmw
Karizma comes with a keihin Constant vaccum with a throttle sensor mounted on it.We can get it locally made but we need to be absolutely sure that the orifice is as per keihin,even the height of the jet is important and has to be same........
Abroad its very easy to get just bout every size of keihin jet,
@Redrage
I tink its time to check your camshaft
Old 9th September 2008, 15:18   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
I too am looking out for orignal keihin jets but i really cant find a way of soursing them,you guys have been here much longer then me,try to source a few thru friends abroad,am sure there are loads of guys wanting the same.
Yep if all fails i'm sourcing few jets from abroad.

To be really hones i'm not too keen to use the Keihin CV carb. I'm very tempted to plug in a Dellorto 28mm roundslide that i have with me. Only thing holding me back is the TPS activated variable curve ignition. What will i do about this TPS if i switch to another carb?
Old 9th September 2008, 16:37   #13
BHPian

i have had this problem atleast3-4 times cant remember the exact but enough to have spent a large amount fixing this. the engine makes huge rattling sounds
it starts reasonably large enuff to hear a tak tak tak sound which keeps increasing.
i can find a better way to describe the sound than the above mentioned sound effect

tak tak tak

this cv carb is too complicated. once i got a bigger carb from a 250ccsuzuki atv and replced my zma s carb the bike started behaving like a splendour. it lost all its pickup.
i dont think replacing the carb is a wise option.
getting a kn filter and bigger jets is the best option for more power. the only problem is sourcing the jets.
Old 9th September 2008, 16:49   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_mustang View Post
this cv carb is too complicated. once i got a bigger carb from a 250ccsuzuki atv and replced my zma s carb the bike started behaving like a splendour. it lost all its pickup.
i dont think replacing the carb is a wise option.
getting a kn filter and bigger jets is the best option for more power. the only problem is sourcing the jets.
The carb isn't much more complicated than a Mikuni BS carb. The circuits are identical, Keihin is more efficient though.

In your bike's case I can safely assume that it's the TPS that made the bike behave the way it did. This Keihin carb have a throttle position sensor (nowadays std on many new bikes) which activates a different ignition curve for different throttle openings. The Suzuki carb might not have had TPS or if it TPS was present it may not have been connected or the resistance values of the TPS may have been incorrect leading to incorrect use of ignition maps.

I would really like to know if anyone has bypassed the TPS or have found any alternate soltuin for this.
Old 9th September 2008, 16:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

thanks guys for all the information but till now i haven't faced any abnormal sound from engine and hopefully it will remain the same after warranty is over lol ..... i have done 19000kms in past one and half year

@sankar wat is the jet size for stock ZMA ? even i feel that the bike is running too lean

Last edited by Rahulkool : 9th September 2008 at 16:58.

Most Viewed