Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2005, 18:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Brake switch?

hey guys iw as just riding my bike the other day when my friend sitting behind asked me if it was possible to chenge the location of both the brakes. i mean on a bike the left hand controls the clutch and the right hand controls the front brake and the right leg controls the back brake so he wanted to know if it was possible to make the right HAND the BACK brake and make the right LEG the front BRAKE..
Old 20th March 2005, 03:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

i dont think.it is placed like that because of ergonomics.
still if u try it will be easy to take the rear brake up on the RHS leaver because it is cable operated but it will be difficult to fit the oil chamber for the front brake(disc) so far below at the back.drum brake would be easier.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 20th March 2005 at 03:28.
Old 20th March 2005, 04:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
on a bike the left hand controls the clutch and the right hand controls the front brake and the right leg controls the back brake ..
Well, it is designed so because the leg is capable of exerting more force on the brake pedal which is required to bring the rear brake into action and hauling the mass of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
if it was possible to make the right HAND the BACK brake and make the right LEG the front BRAKE..
Now, if you swap the brake levers as your friend wants it to be!!! Here's what will happen, as evolution has it, the hand is more developed and sensitive than your leg hence, the pressure you are exerting from the foot will make the bike topple or unless you're good at stoppies you can try swapping the brake levers.
So, the hand being more sensitive is capable of exerting the required pressure hence it controls the front brake lever.
Hope that clears your doubts and realize the reason behind the placement of the brake levers.
Old 22nd March 2005, 01:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

yeah i got that but before the bike he used to ride a scooter which didnt have a leg brake so he is not used to the leg brake and thats why he wanted to know ifthe shift was possible..
Old 25th August 2006, 13:20   #5
BHPian

If its a bike, then changing brakes will be difficult, becuse the back brakes are down by a rod link and not a cable link. However, if the braking is not done via rod, and its a scooter kind of vehicle, then may be its possible to try to get an alternate arragnement done.

However this is not really a good idea because right leg braking is one of the best way and it also allows for good control than a hand lever. Its a good idea to drive in slowly and get used to the vehicle before trying hard driving requiring more often use of brakes.
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

re: Brake switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
hey guys iw as just riding my bike the other day when my friend sitting behind asked me if it was possible to chenge the location of both the brakes. i mean on a bike the left hand controls the clutch and the right hand controls the front brake and the right leg controls the back brake so he wanted to know if it was possible to make the right HAND the BACK brake and make the right LEG the front BRAKE..
Theoretically it is possible. It would not be too expensive either but there are complications.

One is you cannot have a rod actuated brake from the leg, as there is at present for the back brake as the front wheel does not stay stationary. Therefore it will have to be cable actuated and it is critical that the cable runs in such a way that it does not interfere with the front wheel in any way. Which probably means run it up to around the handle area and then run it down the way the regular front brake cable runs.

Secondly, it is harder to judge our braking with our foot, especially in an emergency. Therefore you need to be careful when braking.

Thirdly, the foot brake pedal will probably need to be turned around and facing forwards instead of backwards. The space and location for this needs to exist. If you keep the same setup, then you will need to run a cable from the back which does an U turn and that is not good at all. Stress points may make the cable snap over time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks