Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 13:37   #1
NitinGirish

Yamaha RX100 6V Battery.

Yamaha RX100 6V Battery is available in Vijaynagar, Bangalore. For those of you who know the area, the name of the shop/store(its not a service center) is Hegde Motors and is few steps away from Gurushree hospital. I got one couple of days back (AMCO).

Not trying to advertise here. I was told here in Hyderabad that 6V battery is not available and the solution is to get a 12V system done. Thought this piece of info might be of some use to other RX100 fans.

Old 18th September 2008, 15:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

One does not need to get a 12 Volt system done if their 100 is on a 6Volt. putting in a 12 volts would just do fine. i was using it for almost 2 years with a SF battery
Old 18th September 2008, 17:18   #3
NitinGirish

Ofcourse not!!! Why would one have 12V system if they have 6V battery?

What I meant was, I was told 6V battery is no longer available. Since, one cant put a 12V battery without changing everything else with the electricals, the only option is to get a 12V battery, wiring, etc. So, just thought it might be of some use to let the RX100 enthusiasts know that 6V battery is still available and they dont have to go through the 12V, rewiring and all that grind.

Old 18th September 2008, 23:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

My mech once told me the only things you have to change toconvert to 12V is the battery, bulbs and the RR unit. if thats true, why not go 12V?
Old 19th September 2008, 11:19   #5
NitinGirish

@Sunnyboi

They quote anywhere between Rs.1500-3000 . Why spend so much whenyou can get it done in Rs.700 Besides, reliability may be an issue. Dont know how many people have trouble free experience with it.

Old 19th September 2008, 12:42   #6
BHPian

I just changed my 6v 3 pin RR unit to a 12v 3pin RR unit without changing anything else of the wiring.Everything is working fine.The RR unit costed me only 200 bucks.
Old 19th September 2008, 14:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinGirish View Post
Ofcourse not!!! Why would one have 12V system if they have 6V battery?

What I meant was, I was told 6V battery is no longer available. Since, one cant put a 12V battery without changing everything else with the electricals, the only option is to get a 12V battery, wiring, etc. So, just thought it might be of some use to let the RX100 enthusiasts know that 6V battery is still available and they dont have to go through the 12V, rewiring and all that grind.
Sorry to say please read my post above , or here it is I had been running a 6v setup same Bulbs, RR units and ever thing else for 2 years and at that time i HAD A 12 V SF battery on the bike, no problems are all so its just a missconception that one has to change the system to a 12 v to Run the 12 V battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
My mech once told me the only things you have to change toconvert to 12V is the battery, bulbs and the RR unit. if thats true, why not go 12V?
Sorry but thats not true thats again just a work around and the setup is not proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinGirish View Post
They quote anywhere between Rs.1500-3000 . Why spend so much whenyou can get it done in Rs.700 Besides, reliability may be an issue. Dont know how many people have trouble free experience with it.
Again 700 is what you paid for a 6v Battery, you could have got a 12 V for the same money or a little bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonvaz View Post
I just changed my 6v 3 pin RR unit to a 12v 3pin RR unit without changing anything else of the wiring.Everything is working fine.The RR unit costed me only 200 bucks.
Every thing certainly woud work fine till the time you run every thing stock, I recently got a RDD CDi for my RX, the CDI would not work for a setup simmilar to you. so we had to change the maggnet and the coils aswell to get the proper out put and it works wonders after that.
Old 19th September 2008, 23:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Sorry but thats not true thats again just a work around and the setup is not proper.
Okay, so what is the correct procedure and what all parts are needed?
Old 20th September 2008, 01:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Okay, so what is the correct procedure and what all parts are needed?
Its up there in the last post but let me give you a list any thing missing would be added latter on

i used the 12V setup from the RX135 cause the wirring harness of the 12V rx was not a dirrect fit for thr RDD CDI,

- Wirring.
- Magnet.
- Main Coil (Pulsar and HT coil can be retained.)
- RR unit.
- Oh the Bulbs and if wanted the Horn aswell.

(Bulbs do tend to fuse, i know because i did not change that when i did the 12v setup and had to lose on the Main head lite that apparently had the original Bulb, means 15 years old. i dont know how it was there. but even i dont remember ever changing that in last few years till the time my memory can run)

Sunny would like to add on. According to me if you are not going to run any kind of mods or any thing on the bike then the way your mech told you
Quote:
This would be fine cause the conversion takes some what around 3K.

Last edited by desideep : 20th September 2008 at 01:01.
Old 20th September 2008, 07:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

I was also in doubt, since all the 12V RX100s i've seen had a new swiss wiring loom. Thanks for clarifying
Old 20th September 2017, 21:52   #11
BHPian

Re: Yamaha RX100 6V Battery.

My friend has recently bought a Yamaha RX 100 of 1995 model. Currently there is a 12 volt battery which is not functioning and needs a replacement. However, the discussions in the forum mentions the use of a 6 volt battery. Can anyone confirm whether the last phase of RX 100 produced came with 12 volt battery instead of 6 volt?
Old 21st September 2017, 06:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan View Post
Can anyone confirm whether the last phase of RX 100 produced came with 12 volt battery instead of 6 volt?
I don't know from when, but for sure 95 models were 12V battery & wiring kit.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I don't know from when, but for sure 95 models were 12V battery & wiring kit.
awakening an old thread !

are there any external indicators to differentiate between original 6v and 12v RX100's ?
I had RX-100, IIRC in late of 1994. I remember that delivery as delayed a bit saying that newer 12v system was coming-up. So finally I got a 12v model, it has the red + white cross strip on the tank.
Also mine had the small plastic tool box (black) under the air-filter panel : was this box originally in previous 6v models ?

thanks,
Pranav
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
awakening an old thread !

Also mine had the small plastic tool box (black) under the air-filter panel : was this box originally in previous 6v models ?
That box didnt come in earlier models. Also as far as i know bikes before 94 were 6v.
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
are there any external indicators to differentiate between original 6v and 12v RX100's ?
Yes & No; Yes if you're able to see the RR unit it's possible to identify if its 12 or 6V; No, because the RR unit is located under the tank, so unless the tank is removed it's not possible to identify
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks