Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 16:14   #1
BHPian

White lighting & wider rear tyre for Pulsar 220

Hi guys

One of my close friends has just bought a blue Pulsar 220 last month and after seeing the HID kit on my Avenger 200, he’s pretty much attracted to the white light and wants to go for a white lighting system for his bike too.

However I have told him that the Pulsar 220 has excellent lighting already, with projector headlamps which is a first for any Indian bike. Also, as per my knowledge I have informed him that since the Pulsar 220 uses a projector type lighting system, the bulb type may be different compared to a normal H4 which is used in bikes like the Avenger 200 and cars like Santro, Cielo etc.

I told him that I would post a message on Team BHP to get some information on this, so here I am with the message being posted.

I’ve clearly told my friend that HID is not required for his bike since the lighting is already very good with excellent focusing, brightness and beam spread. However comparatively my HID’s brightness and beam spread are better. But I’ve advised him against fooling around with the Pulsar 220’s electrical system since it’s already more advanced than any other Indian bike. Plus the bike itself has been an expensive one – I think he’s paid around 93k on road in Chennai for the Pulsar 220.

Well, now it’s up to you guys to suggest what would be best for my friend.

He seems to want only the white lights – not HID. So for the projector type lighting in his Pulsar 220, maybe if we could get a white light bulb which is a direct fit like a Philips Vision Plus or Philips X-Treme Power etc (but a type which would be compatible with the lighting system in the Pulsar 220), it would suit him.

Anyhow, we look forward to your suggestions on this guys.

And he would also like to fit a wider rear tyre on his Pulsar 220. Which is the maximum size that can be fitted without any modifications ? I think right now it has the stock 120/80 MRF tubeless tyres.

So 2 things we need your inputs on:

* White lights for the P-220
* Wider rear tyre for the P-220

Look forward to hearing from you all on the above soon.

Thanks and warm regards,
Venkat
Old 18th September 2008, 16:18   #2
BANNED

Sound more convincing to him.

Your friend just wants to show off. Next he will be asking for the fairing of the R15. I think this thread is useless.
Old 18th September 2008, 16:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Sound more convincing to him.

Your friend just wants to show off. Next he will be asking for the fairing of the R15. I think this thread is useless.
No SpitFire, he doesn't want to show off. He's quite a simple person and has been saving up for quite a long time to buy this P-220. He bought it with full cash. Not even on EMIs. He likes riding and enjoys the engine but never shows off. That's the kind of person he is.

Somehow he's attracted by those white lights, even more after seeing the HID on my Avenger 200. Me being a person who doesn't advise people if I know myself that I'm not knowledgable enough to do it, I decided that Team BHP would be the best place to get more info on this. And hence this post.

Looking forward to your inputs guys.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 18th September 2008, 16:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

fitting HIDs on P220 is a bit tricky as in you would need to put a 55w HID set(if they are available in bulb type that P220 uses). The normal 35w ones will simply not work & will need to be routed directly from Battery which will void the warranty.

The rubber at rear is sufficient, at the max change the tire to a better compound, no need to go wider.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th September 2008 at 16:56.
Old 18th September 2008, 17:05   #5
BANNED

If he has bought it with his hard earned labour, please ask him not to mess around with the electricals on the bike. Since its a FI bike it will be more complex.

White light can be done - but he needs to understand the worth over the projector headlight if there is any.

And please dont go for a fatter tyres, totally useless, will increase weight, reduce mileage. Not worth it.

PS: sorry if i came across as being rude, no intentions. I reread my paost above and felt i should have worded it better. Meet almost one person everyday who wants to mod his wheels for no apparent reason or just because someone else has it.
Old 18th September 2008, 18:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
If he has bought it with his hard earned labour, please ask him not to mess around with the electricals on the bike. Since its a FI bike it will be more complex.

White light can be done - but he needs to understand the worth over the projector headlight if there is any.

And please dont go for a fatter tyres, totally useless, will increase weight, reduce mileage. Not worth it.

PS: sorry if i came across as being rude, no intentions. I reread my paost above and felt i should have worded it better. Meet almost one person everyday who wants to mod his wheels for no apparent reason or just because someone else has it.
Technocrat: No he doesn't wanna go for HID. If possible, just white light bulbs of the same type that is there in his P220. I for one, have been pretty impressed with the projector headlamps of this bike. Excellent design. The worst part of this bike are the rear view mirrors which are almost useless, as we can see only our arms/shoulders taking up 70-75% of the mirrors.

SpitFire: No problem man. I understand. Some people just want to do something to their bikes just for the sake of it. Even I have met such people.

* Yes, regarding messing around with the P220 electricals, I've already advised him not to do it since it's a complex system and since the bike itself is such an expensive one.

* As for the point on whether it's really worth getting the white lights, well I am not sure on this. Perhaps someone else on this forum could shed some light on this. Whatever type of bulb there is in the P220, if we could get the same type but one which produces white light instead of the yellow light, that would be fine. There is no desire here to increase the wattage etc. Just a direct swap from yellow to white light - ie like a normal 55W H4 halogen to a Philips X-Treme Power H4 bulb.

* For rear tyre, point taken. Maybe the existing tyres can just be used for a year or 2 before changing to a different brand but same size.

Thanks for your inputs guys. I'd love to hear more on the white light bulb swap for the P220 though. That's the main thing.

Also, what about some better cushioning for the seats ? They are quite hard. And in Chennai, which is the best place to get this done ? Guys from Chennai, please do give your views.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 18th September 2008, 18:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just a direct swap from yellow to white light
Well the light isnt yellow the projector one is slightly bluish & upper beam is more white than yellow. I will update here if I come to know of a whiter bulb
Old 18th September 2008, 19:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

You need a H7 bulb.

Alternatively, the HID has issues, since the 35W HID (regular kits) confuse the sensors with lesser current drawl. You will need some minor jugaad, but for the sake of reliability, don't do it. Plus you void your warranty - the darn thing has a 5 year unlimited km engine warranty (first lots had). A HID is not worth that much. Just find a bulb.

And check the R15's tyre - 16 or 17. Or check the FZ16's tyre. Either should fit and give your friend the poser look he wants to get I fully agree with Spitfire here.
Old 18th September 2008, 21:02   #9
BHPian

One of my friend is using 140/70 mm MRF tyres.Its a direct fitment and he is quite satisfied with the perfomance of the same.
Old 18th September 2008, 21:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Just another thing - if your friend is truly a nice guy and not a poser like so many of us are surmising - kindly ask him to consider the public nuisance he will be with the HID/white light - the upside is that the projectors minimize the glare but white light is neither better visibility nor good for oncoming traffic.

Suggest he upgrades within the yellow 60/55 setup only.
Old 19th September 2008, 06:53   #11

The easiest thing to modify in any bike is electrical..

You can easily fit 35w or 55w Kits no issues wat so ever the only thing is the alternator/dynamo has to be recoiled so that it produces more electricity even at idle so that battery doesn't wear out fast. HID kits need DC so it has to be connected directly to battery for DC... or put a better rectifier to supply DC...

Mostly bulbs for projector headlamps are 9005 and 9006 depending on high or low beam...
Old 19th September 2008, 09:43   #12
BHPian

tell him that he can fix a superbike rear tire . BUT he will need to change the swing arm for it. A single sided swing arm looks better. And the tire itself will cost abt 9-10K. Swing arm and fixing charges extra. ps: I a not really sure if a SUV tire can be fixed or not on this bike, but if your friend is really serious, I am sure, there are ways. Advantage will be that he will not need to use central stand.. remember, even after all this, it still remain as a bajaj Pulsar
Old 19th September 2008, 10:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8erboi View Post
The easiest thing to modify in any bike is electrical..

You can easily fit 35w .
Thats not true with the Pulsar's new range of bikes which has a BCP module which apart from other things makes sure you never ride without light in case one of the filaments(or bulbs in 220) gets kaput.

So if put anything that consumes less power than 55 w the system detects it as bulb failure & switches to the other bulb\filament. So for this you need to to some alterations to the wiring which voids the warranty & hence not advised.
Old 19th September 2008, 16:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

1. For getting a HID on the 220, you would need a H7 55W HID kit. I know a guy in Chennai who can do it for you, he's expensive alrite, but does a good job. All this at a loss of the warranty of vehicle. Now being a 220 owner for slightly over 10 months I can tell you that warranty is not something you want loose out one. Esp in the first 2 years. My advice stick to stock or as you mentioned in your later posts, your friend wants only white light, he can get a white bulb from Philips/Osram in the H7 55W format.
As far as lighting being enough, well that all depends on ones needs and riding style. I personally feel that its enough within the city, but for highway riding at speeds over 80 is a bit dicey.

2. Wider tyre, why why why for heavens sake do you want to slow down the bike, loose out on mileage, loose out on top end??? The current 120/80 is anyways a size over than whats really needed on the bike, try putting a 110/80 and see how the bike flies. Anyways a size up might foul with the swingarm too. Absolutely not recommended. Again, if your friend is doing it for aesthetic purposes and has no qualms about loosing out on functionality....thencheers:
Old 19th September 2008, 19:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just another thing - if your friend is truly a nice guy and not a poser like so many of us are surmising - kindly ask him to consider the public nuisance he will be with the HID/white light - the upside is that the projectors minimize the glare but white light is neither better visibility nor good for oncoming traffic.

Suggest he upgrades within the yellow 60/55 setup only.
WELL WELL WELL, PHAMILYMAN, & I thought we wre discussing lights for P150 & here you are giving contradicting statements.

CHEERS,
G D

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th September 2008 at 11:55. Reason: Only two smilies per post allowed, please read the rules carefully

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks