Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 19:22   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Pradeep, i guess you are referring to the rocker cover o-ring you changed in your CBZ-X.

Fiero has two tappet adjustment holes covered by big round bolt thingy in place of a rocker cover, change the o-rings of those two big thingys. Also i have heard that if fiber washers are missing on the head studs it will leak oil.
There is no fibre washer of any sort on the fiero head. The tappet adjustment cover has an O-ring but they will never bust and the leak will only come if you damaged the cover. The oil leak is from the surface between the cylinder head and the tappet cover. They are ideally sealed with 3-bond. Due to timely ageing of the engine, the adhesive gives way to let some oil pass out. So most mechs just apply some three-bond on the outer surface to get away. It would only hold untill the engine reaches operating temperature.
Also the cam window rubber is another place where the leak is found. Its no big deal...just remove the tappet cover, apply the three-bond again on the surface and bolt it back. Problem solved!

Joel
fieroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2008, 20:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
There is no fibre washer of any sort on the fiero head. The tappet adjustment cover has an O-ring but they will never bust and the leak will only come if you damaged the cover.
I wasn't sure about the fiber washer anyways. Killer had told me about the fiber washer when his Apache was leaking oil.

Use RTV silicone sealant (white) in place of threebond to stop oil leaks. RTV red is stronger and suited for higher temps but it will make it difficult to take apart the component later. White is enough.
Old 24th September 2008, 21:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes when the head is warped, the o-rings and gaskets will lost their sealing effect.
Old 24th September 2008, 21:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Sometimes when the head is warped, the o-rings and gaskets will lost their sealing effect.
he is not complaning of a leaking head. just the tapet covers, where ppl usually put 3bond.
Old 24th September 2008, 23:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Sorry for hijacking your thread PatienceWins. My fiero f2 engine always has an oil flow all over it!

Thanks,
Ramki.
No issues Ramki. I am trying to know Fiero better.
Old 24th September 2008, 23:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I myself have a 2000 black fiero that has done just 35k kms. It has not been driven much the last few years, but i plan to get it back in shape.

I will be watching this thread closely as I too have some plans in mind.

Restoration:
1. 100/90 for the rear tyre
- Can i fit wider tyres without altering anything on the bike? I am ok to get some spacers on the shocks, but i am worried if the tyres start scraping the side frame.

2. A good seat
- The older seats have torn a little and i would rather replace it with a nice comfortable seat then put in those form cushion and another seat cover on top of it.

3. Mild mods to make it look sporty.

EDIT: Also planning disks on the front and self starter.
Even I have done only 37000 kms since I got the bike in 2000. Great to know that we are in the same boat.

Yes, you can fit 100/90 without changing the rim or getting spacers. I have got Dunlop Monster 100/90 tyre on the stock rim and the grip is good.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 24th September 2008 at 23:25.
Old 24th September 2008, 23:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Shamil, how about installing a square section rear swing arm to the fiero? It would enhance the looks a lot. Fiero looks a bit odd from the side a slightly longer wheelbase would make the bike look proportionate in profile view.
Old 24th September 2008, 23:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shamil, how about installing a square section rear swing arm to the fiero? It would enhance the looks a lot. Fiero looks a bit odd from the side a slightly longer wheelbase would make the bike look proportionate in profile view.
That will enhance the looks for sure. Will it enhance the handling?

Do I need to look out for any specific brand/ material? Is it available from TVS?
Old 24th September 2008, 23:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
That will enhance the looks for sure. Will it enhance the handling?

Do I need to look out for any specific brand/ material? Is it available from TVS?
Longer wheelbase = more stable. But you will lose some flickability.

You might be able to put one from the TVS range itself. I'm not accurate about the lengths of the swingarms. ZEN would be able to take care of this.
Old 25th September 2008, 02:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
he is not complaning of a leaking head. just the tapet covers, where ppl usually put 3bond.
Well the tappet cover (or cam cover) bolts TO the head
Old 25th September 2008, 09:08   #26
BHPian

Can Zen Motors on Bull Temple Road solve the oil leak problem? I'm getting confused on what the real problem is!

Thanks,
Ramki.
Old 25th September 2008, 10:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Well the tappet cover (or cam cover) bolts TO the head
Head warped usually means the surface that mates to the bore is warped. unless you meant something different.
Old 25th September 2008, 12:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Longer wheelbase = more stable. But you will lose some flickability.

You might be able to put one from the TVS range itself. I'm not accurate about the lengths of the swingarms. ZEN would be able to take care of this.
Flickability is important for me, especially in bangalore chaos. Anyway, I will check with Zen. Thanks
Old 25th September 2008, 15:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I wasn't sure about the fiber washer anyways. Killer had told me about the fiber washer when his Apache was leaking oil.

Killer's bike had a never-ending compression leak complaint. Which I finally solved. I was too curious to solve it, that I personally stripped it one day before his track day and fixed it. There is no fibre part/washer in the head and I've been working on this engine since over 5 yrs now.
It was a leaking head gasket which always kept busting and letting the cylinder compression to sneek once the engine comes to operating temperature. The mechanic who kept installing his engine would always apply an adhesive on the head gasket and that would instantly melt away...making the coating on the head gasket to melt away and sealing is lost.
Old 25th September 2008, 16:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
Killer's bike had a never-ending compression leak complaint. Which I finally solved. I was too curious to solve it, that I personally stripped it one day before his track day and fixed it. There is no fibre part/washer in the head and I've been working on this engine since over 5 yrs now.
It was a leaking head gasket which always kept busting and letting the cylinder compression to sneek once the engine comes to operating temperature. The mechanic who kept installing his engine would always apply an adhesive on the head gasket and that would instantly melt away...making the coating on the head gasket to melt away and sealing is lost.
Cool

I wasn't able to follow up with this issue as i had relocated to Trivandrum by that time. Glad to know that it was solved before he sold the bike and bought the RTR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks