Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2008, 21:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki Fiero - Passion Reignited

The bike was bought in 2000 from Cochin, part of the initial lot. This is my first automobile and I used to maintain it very well. In the last few years, the bike was not maintained well and used by others. Suddenly the lost passion got reignited and I want to restore the bike to its original condition.

I love Fiero for its pickup, smoothness and gear shift. Comfort and handling are average. The fuel efficiency is decent at 45kmpl.

The flaws in the bike are:
  1. Leaking carburettor
  2. Bent Forks
  3. Dead Battery - Changed to Exide Maintenance Free today
  4. Bald rear tyre - Changed to Dunlop Monster 100/90 today
  5. Rear shocks need replacement
  6. Not free reving as earlier
The grip of Dunlop 100/ 90 is good. I got the tyre from Sai Iyengar for 1250. Sankar, I could not find IRC.

I wanted to go for Amaron 9AH Maintenance Free battery. But the stock battery is 2.5AH and even 5AH battery could not be accomodated. So, had to settle for 2.5 AH battery.

The plan is to restore the bike to good condition and then to modify it slowly, one step at a time. Special thanks to Sankar, Fieroid, Venugopal, Ajaybiz and Sk8erboi for guiding me.

The bike is going to Zen Motors in Bangalore next week for bringing it to good condition. It also requires removal of dents and paint job.

The modifications I have in mind.
  1. Front Discs
  2. Bigger Carb - I am confused whether to repair the existing one or go for a bigger one.
  3. Exhaust
  4. Porting
  5. Increasing compression
Your valuable inputs are welcome. I will keep you updated as the work progresses.

Picture of the bike
Suzuki Fiero - Passion Reignited-200920081063.jpg

Last edited by PatienceWins : 20th September 2008 at 21:53.
Old 20th September 2008, 22:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Discs? you can try the RTR discs, I heard joel say that they are a diret fit on the fiero?

bigger carb? stick to the old one. must be a busted gasket or float needle thats it.

i recommend you get the engine running fine first and then s tart to mod it
Old 20th September 2008, 23:13   #3
BHPian

from what i hear you are placing your bike in good hands.
Old 20th September 2008, 23:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.

If RTR disc is direct fit it would be a good option. Also later version of fiero used to come with front discs.

I will be going slow with the mods, checking difference with each upgrade. As recommended, first I will get the bike in great condition.
Old 21st September 2008, 02:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

First trash the front fairing and bolt on a Yezdi dome. I think you should just keep it stock. It will take a lot of work to match an RTR or CBZ for overall performance.
Old 21st September 2008, 06:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
First trash the front fairing and bolt on a Yezdi dome. I think you should just keep it stock. It will take a lot of work to match an RTR or CBZ for overall performance.
Thanks Mpower.

I am not much concerned about looks. I do not have any benchmark for performance upgrade and am not in a hurry. The bike will be used only for city driving, to manage bangalore chaos to be precise. Also, as I cannot modify car for the time being I need to take out my frustration somewhere. But reliability is of utmost importance to me. I do not have a compulsive non-stock disorder, but like to stand out from the crowd.

Considering my usage, I would not be missing 5th gear much. As Joel has pointed out in another thread, Fiero's torque across the power band is great - ideal for city driving and short stints.

If I become a serious biker (personal and professional life permitting) I might indulge in something better - keeping my eyes on Ninja launch. During bachelor days, time was not an issue.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 21st September 2008 at 06:33.
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:39   #7
BHPian

The RTR disc kit is not a retro fit. Its the Fiero's TVS girling kit which is a retro fit. The Fiero disc Kit is a retro fit on the RX though.

Dont try a bigger carb on a stock engine man. It will make it worse. You need to do relative mods to install a bigger carb. Else it will only get slower.

Joel
Old 24th September 2008, 00:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Joel. So RTR disc and Fiero F2 disc kits are ruled out.

What is Fiero's TVS girling kit? Is it a disc brake? Sorry, I am not very familiar with bike terms.
Old 24th September 2008, 00:56   #9
BHPian

I myself have a 2000 black fiero that has done just 35k kms. It has not been driven much the last few years, but i plan to get it back in shape.

I will be watching this thread closely as I too have some plans in mind.

Restoration:
1. 100/90 for the rear tyre
- Can i fit wider tyres without altering anything on the bike? I am ok to get some spacers on the shocks, but i am worried if the tyres start scraping the side frame.

2. A good seat
- The older seats have torn a little and i would rather replace it with a nice comfortable seat then put in those form cushion and another seat cover on top of it.

3. Mild mods to make it look sporty.

EDIT: Also planning disks on the front and self starter.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Thanks Joel. So RTR disc and Fiero F2 disc kits are ruled out.

What is Fiero's TVS girling kit? Is it a disc brake? Sorry, I am not very familiar with bike terms.
Fiero F2 and Fiero shares almost the same disc assembly. The lower fork tube is different on the fiero over the f2. Take the bike to Zen and they will do the needful. You dont have to worry too much.
TVS girling is the maker of the disc brake kits.
Installing a fat rear is never recommended for any bike. A fatter rubber over the required profile will always affect handling and performance.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:22   #11
BHPian

Sorry for hijacking your thread PatienceWins. My fiero f2 engine always has an oil flow all over it! When given to some local mechanic for servicing he added a white paste for the oil not flowing out, but after say about 15 days again the oil is all over the engine. What should i do to rectify it? Also can you refer a good front tyre as the stock tyre is almost bald, i changed the rear stock to MRF Zapper Q 90/90 18.

Thanks,
Ramki.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Sorry for hijacking your thread PatienceWins. My fiero f2 engine always has an oil flow all over it! When given to some local mechanic for servicing he added a white paste for the oil not flowing out, but after say about 15 days again the oil is all over the engine. What should i do to rectify it? Also can you refer a good front tyre as the stock tyre is almost bald, i changed the rear stock to MRF Zapper Q 90/90 18.

Thanks,
Ramki.

Replace your head gasket packing that should solve the problem, if its still leaking you have to change your head gasket.
Old 24th September 2008, 15:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Replace your head gasket packing that should solve the problem, if its still leaking you have to change your head gasket.
Pradeep, i guess you are referring to the rocker cover o-ring you changed in your CBZ-X.

Fiero has two tappet adjustment holes covered by big round bolt thingy in place of a rocker cover, change the o-rings of those two big thingys. Also i have heard that if fiber washers are missing on the head studs it will leak oil.
Old 24th September 2008, 16:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Cant you get new big bolt thingys for fiero? Common prob in CD 100s, new ones are 30 rupees a pop.
Old 24th September 2008, 18:41   #15
BHPian

get it converted to 200cc you wont regret it, its completely worth it ... talk to joel

Most Viewed