Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2015, 09:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: RE Thunderbird Battery Issues

kozhissery mate the explanation given by ArizonaJim is very detailed and describes the bubbling phenomenon in the battery. I can also see from the pictures that the battery carries a "Factory Charged" stamping on the cover as it did on my previous batteries albeit they were 12V 9amp batteries. If the dealer checks the brand new battery before selling it to you then it is a good practice and a proactive initiative from his side. But as mentioned by Jim it should be seen that the battery is not overcharged. The shop where I buy from is a very popular shop and the batteries move fast. I have always got a battery which was not older than a month or two. You've got a nice battery, also remember to store the warranty card safely. I had lost it once but as I have a good rapport with the dealer I managed to get a replacement. Ride safe
Old 7th July 2015, 13:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Bumping up the old Thread.

As per the specification its 12v 14AH and the mechanic suggested to get some "Poweron" brand (internet search revealed this www.poweron.co.in/) which I'm not aware of. He said that this is specifically made for Thunderbird and its SMF (no acid per se). Its pricey compared to Exide (around Rs.500 more).
Any suggestions.
Though Kozhissery has got an Exide, just wanted to warn others that buying poweron could be a big risk, and defn not worth it.

I had to buy this to move my classic 500 from the road and bring it back home. But it never had the power for the starter motor, and starting was getting increasingly difficult. All this after paying a higher price than the exide. Their claim was it was a maintenance free, and hence the additional cost!!

Couple of month back, I got rid of it and got a new Exide 14ah.
Old 17th August 2016, 22:21   #33
BHPian

I'm due for a battery change on my Thunderbird 500, and was thinking to go 'maintenance free'. Any suggestions on which brand to use? I've heard Amaron has a 12V 14Ah battery in the market, is it a straight fit on the Thunderbird (2015 model)?
Old 18th August 2016, 10:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
I'm due for a battery change on my Thunderbird 500, and was thinking to go 'maintenance free'. Any suggestions on which brand to use? I've heard Amaron has a 12V 14Ah battery in the market, is it a straight fit on the Thunderbird (2015 model)?
The battery on my TB 500 also went kaput within a year of riding - because I let it stand for couple of weeks during heavy rains. Never had such issues in any other bike I've owned. And I asked several battery shops, they all said there are no MF batteries for TB 500. Just the lead-acid ones and that too from Exide.
Old 19th July 2017, 10:28   #35
BHPian

My TBTS' battery (second of the bike) died last week due to being idle for some time. When the first battery died, I wanted to get something other than the expensive Exide Bikerz, but none of the shops suggested anything else. But this time I am more determined to get something else, preferably from Amaron.

I have some questions though: Are there any limiting factors other than the AH rating and dimensions? What issues will I have if I go for a lower Ah rater battery, let's say the 9Ah one from Amaron? Will cranking be an issue? Are higher Ah rated ones are better bets?
Old 19th July 2017, 23:34   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

prakash ajp

Quoting from my earlier post,

"The 14 in the battery number represents the amount of amps the battery can safely deliver in 1 hour without overloading it.
Motorcycles with electric starters require values like 12 or 14 amp/hr ratings because of the high amount of power they need to start the engine.
If the electric starter is not going to be used and the bike is always kick started, a smaller amp/hr rating will work fine.", I'll add a few thoughts.

The AH rating becomes more and more important the colder it gets.

While a 9 AH battery may work fine for starting your motorcycle with the electric starter when the temperature is above 24 degrees C., if the temperature drops below 10 *C, problems with starting may occur.

Only you know the conditions you intend to ride in so you will have to be the judge.

As I mentioned, a smaller battery capacity will work fine if kick starting is going to be used.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 08:30   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
prakash ajp

Quoting from my earlier post,

"The 14 in the battery number represents the amount of amps the battery can safely deliver in 1 hour without overloading it.
Motorcycles with electric starters require values like 12 or 14 amp/hr ratings because of the high amount of power they need to start the engine.
If the electric starter is not going to be used and the bike is always kick started, a smaller amp/hr rating will work fine.", I'll add a few thoughts.

The AH rating becomes more and more important the colder it gets.

While a 9 AH battery may work fine for starting your motorcycle with the electric starter when the temperature is above 24 degrees C., if the temperature drops below 10 *C, problems with starting may occur.

Only you know the conditions you intend to ride in so you will have to be the judge.

As I mentioned, a smaller battery capacity will work fine if kick starting is going to be used.
I was not particular about the 9ah one, but that seems the only other choice I have. If it comes to kick starting, so be it. On the other hand, if there are higher current rated ones that my bike can accommodate, I would prefer that since in Bangalore it gets relatively cold in the morning and I always have trouble with the starter.

Thanks for the response, btw.

Anyone here aware of a higher (than 12ah) rated battery for the Thunderbird?
Old 20th July 2017, 10:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I was not particular about the 9ah one, but that seems the only other choice I have. If it comes to kick starting, so be it. On the other hand, if there are higher current rated ones that my bike can accommodate, I would prefer that since in Bangalore it gets relatively cold in the morning and I always have trouble with the starter.

Anyone here aware of a higher (than 12ah) rated battery for the Thunderbird?
Prakash mate a 9Ah battery will do just fine for your Tbird. Offlate RE themselves have started fitting 8Ah Amaron MF Sealed VRLA batteries as OEM on the Tbirds(albeit only on 350cc model). I would suggest you to go for the Amaron 9Ah MF Sealed VRLA battery. I have experienced that battery has a good cranking power, also that RE has fitted an 8Ah Amaron VRLA MF battery as OEM to their new Tbird's as well as Himalayan which has no kick starter at all is a witness to this.

Among the conventional Lead Acid 14Ah range there are a few options like Amco, Base, Tata Green etc. besides the regular Exide. I have no experience with Base and Tata Green batteries but the Amco 14Ah on my Tbird500 is doing just fine.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 19:46   #39
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the valuable input. Finally bit the bullet (!) and bought an Amaron ap-btx9r despite the dealer dissuading and declining to issue warranty. And so far the experience is pretty good and better than the Exide. Let's hope it stays good for at least 3 years.
Old 22nd August 2020, 09:43   #40
BHPian

My Thunderbird 350 needs a new battery.
So far I've used the Exide Bikerz. I found out about a certain Exide Explore 12XL14L A2 Zero Maintenance battery.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
It's a little expensive than Bikerz and comes with 48 months warranty.
Also, any experience with SF Sonic Mobiker MK540 14L A2?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks