Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 04:26   #61
BHPian

Re: Crash On Mysore Road.. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
this #$%$@# truck driver gave me side at the very bend. I pressed the accelarator to take over and as i was in the middle of the manouver what do i see? A Bike coming from the opposite side and that too on a Flyover!! I ramned on the brakes with only 1 thing in mind to save the "pour" riders and the vehicle stopped with a screaching noise just mm from the bike and without touching the truck (Lucky Me).
No offence but, you shouldn't be overtaking on a bend.
Old 14th April 2011, 05:52   #62
BHPian

Apart from ones mentioned by fellow bhpians above I would like to highlight an important fact here that causes deaths that could have been prevented:
1) Unscientific design of roads and their maintainance like how much friction, inner and outer curves etc.
2) Lack of proper signs at appropriate places. Our education system is also to be blamed for not teaching youngsters the basic manners of road.
3) No punishment for crazy and mad wrong lane heavy vehicle drivers. I have noticed that these drivers who drive in wrong lanes are either of very young age hailing from a village with no / less driving experience. They think that they can get away with any crime as their influential owners shall take care or everything.
4) Corrupt Highway police busy resting or catching car drivers with their speed guns even if the cars are driving 2-3kmph above the speed limit. Few hours of this type of work gives them enough money to rest for the entire day. Also many times knowledge of local language or contacts makes these policemen let escape the real crooks.
5) Few of our bikes / cars are not designed for racing but are only for city commute. Guys need to understand this before they push the limits of their vehicle either through ignorance or via unscientific mods.
6) Lack of Racing tracks causes adrenaline rush at wrong places.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:15   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulstar View Post
No offence but, you shouldn't be overtaking on a bend.

Point taken, i was given side by the Truck drive to take over at that very place after following him for quite some distance. Moreover the time is 3 AM in the night and i am on a flyover with road divider.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:27   #64
BHPian

Quote:

Point taken, i was given side by the Truck drive to take over at that very place after following him for quite some distance. Moreover the time is 3 AM in the night and i am on a flyover with road divider.
On your quote ... Moreover the time is 3 AM..

It is 3AM not just for you, but it is 3 AM for everyone. So someone can use the same logic and hit you saying .. It was 3am so I was also going fast who would expect this guy to be there overtaking at 3 am ?
Old 14th April 2011, 12:57   #65
BHPian

Mods: I don't know if it is appropriate here as incident i am quoting is Yeshwantpur-nelamangala flyover (tumkur road). But is scary and as dangerous as mysore road. please move to different thread if appropriate.

I was driving towards tumkur last sunday, paid Rs 15 toll and started going towards nelamangala. As i crossed toll booth i was there were few more booths to enter highway and few exits (withour toll booths). And next thing is saw scared me like hell..
I saw few trucks and cars trying to enter the toll road through exits that were unmanned. These exits are at an angle which merges into service road lanes (separated by short wall). So cars and trucks literally have to make a V turn or a U turn to enter through those exit ramps, and again make a U or V turn into the toll road to start going towards nelamangala / tumkur. Main Toll booth is before nice road junction. After nice road junction there is another toll booth for vehicles wanting to enter toll road. after that are exits.
So these trucks and cars enter through these exits - dangerously - and drive on without having to pay toll.
One more scary thing is barricades placed on this express tollway to allow pedestrian crossing without speed bumps or signals. Literally u have to be aware of this and watch for it - else, at higher speeds u can ram those barricades or run into others. Both dangerous issues.
Wonder if others have noticed this or there is mention in any other thread.

I am sorry if there is separate thread - but as i read this mysore road thing it occured to me and had to key in this..
Old 14th April 2011, 13:28   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Apart from ones mentioned by fellow bhpians above I would like to highlight an important fact here that causes deaths that could have been prevented:
1) Unscientific design of roads and their maintainance like how much friction, inner and outer curves etc.
2) Lack of proper signs at appropriate places. Our education system is also to be blamed for not teaching youngsters the basic manners of road.
3) No punishment for crazy and mad wrong lane heavy vehicle drivers. I have noticed that these drivers who drive in wrong lanes are either of very young age hailing from a village with no / less driving experience. They think that they can get away with any crime as their influential owners shall take care or everything.
4) Corrupt Highway police busy resting or catching car drivers with their speed guns even if the cars are driving 2-3kmph above the speed limit. Few hours of this type of work gives them enough money to rest for the entire day. Also many times knowledge of local language or contacts makes these policemen let escape the real crooks.
5) Few of our bikes / cars are not designed for racing but are only for city commute. Guys need to understand this before they push the limits of their vehicle either through ignorance or via unscientific mods.
6) Lack of Racing tracks causes adrenaline rush at wrong places.

Good set of points Anandg. I completely agree with you.

If unscientific speed breakers were not enough, they have signs that sometimes prove to be useless. Picture this, suppose you are doing a 120 and there is this huge breaker, i would like to see more than one sign starting atleast 300 mts away with a period of 100 mts. It does not make sense to just have one sign just a few mts before the breaker. You cannot stop while doing good speeds even if you pump the brakes(car without ABS) at such short notice.

Regardless, it is a very good point that you've put forth that basics of commuting must be included in the education system seriously.

@G-BoleroBoy: The Tumkur road also sounds scary. I always had a better opnion of that road.

Last edited by manas.mys : 14th April 2011 at 13:35.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:25   #67
BHPian

Quote:

It's really your judgment call after all, the time, the location etc all reduce / increase the risk associated but overtaking blindly is just asking for trouble imho.
Old 15th April 2011, 01:09   #68
BHPian

As much as I would like to blame the SBK kids on Mysore road (or for that matter Sarjapura or the Yelahanka stretch or even the IRR post midnight in the past), my heart goes out to them because it isnt really their fault.

My advice (being one who as suffered those poor innocents as much as anyone else on this forum, being a lone rider who prefers to stay away from crowds) to the folks who frequent these routes is to ignore them and leave them to their fate, grisly as it may well be (you cant put sense into the 18-25 age group unless they have had a sound upbringing, which in most of their cases does not hold true) and try to enjoy yourself and your weekend outing without paying attention.

As to why my heart goes out to them, well, I learnt all I did about bikes and cars from my father, from stunts to high speed cornering. But most of these kids (not the responsible mature riders, you know the kind am referring to) get the dough from parents who are just too busy making money and come from a background where money is power without realising that whacking the throttle of a 150hp+ machine has nothing to do with money or power. And hence all they learn from their fathers, is to abuse it, and sometimes they pay the price for it. With the folks learning all to late that the business (be it real estate or granite or even politics, or whatever it is that got them the money to give a killer machine into the hands of a baby without proper training) wasnt worth killing their innocent kid who could've been taught better.

I usually dont take the time out to reply to posts but this one is close to my heart because that is a stretch I grew up on (from cycling to Srirangapatna and back to touching my first 250kmph on a bike) and I have only see it get worse and worse and worse over the past decade.
Old 15th April 2011, 18:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
With the folks learning all to late that the business (be it real estate or granite or even politics, or whatever it is that got them the money to give a killer machine into the hands of a baby without proper training) wasnt worth killing their innocent kid who could've been taught better.
Well said! On an aside, like the signature - sign of the times....
Old 15th April 2011, 19:18   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulstar View Post
It's really your judgment call after all, the time, the location etc all reduce / increase the risk associated but overtaking blindly is just asking for trouble imho.
He is talking about a one way road on a flyover with a concrete median, not two way

Last edited by srishiva : 15th April 2011 at 19:21.
Old 16th April 2011, 01:07   #71
BHPian

I've been reading these threads (at the Motorcycles section, as I am 4 wheel illiterate and dont understand squat of what is discussed) with a lot of interest and I have a piece of advice for anyone who is willing to blame a law breaker or a faulty stretch of road or the govt, or vastu, or fate - Whatever happens out on the road, is YOUR fault, if you're really that good, you can avoid any situation and maybe even enjoy the brief adrenaline rush that the schmuck on the wrong side or the deeper than expected pothole gave you. (It can be done, I've seen it being done for years and years by someone while I continue to learn the art myself). So I suggest we start with accepting the fact that there is room for us to improve and things will start changing and we may even enjoy the quirks. If nothing, at least its better than losing sleep with frustration over it because the ball's in our court, work with what we have, so to speak!

Am not sure how often there are rider meets in Bangalore, but if anyone wants to catch up for a cuppa and chit chat over safe high speed riding, please feel free to PM me. Happy to help..

Naveen - It's more than just a signature for me bud, and most certainly the sign of times.
Old 16th April 2011, 13:18   #72
BHPian

@DevilsOwn-There are rider meets almost every weekend(almost). Check out with Aditya for constant feeds
Old 17th April 2011, 03:05   #73
Senior - BHPian

Note From Support Team- Please continue accident related discussions in the Accidents in India Thread & traffic issues in the respective city based traffic thread.

Thread Closed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks