Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2008, 23:31   #1

TVS Victor Lean Mixture

I own a TVS Victor GL (2002).
Recently tried some experiments with acetone and 2T in petrol with some satisfactory results.

I am now trying some experiments with lean mixture by adjusted the needle jet in the Mikuni carb.

Has anyone tried any other ways of leaning the mixture out?

Also was planning of wiring a temperature controlled auto choke using a Servo.

Any ideas/suggestions anyone?

Also has anyone tried any CV carbs on Victor?
Old 2nd October 2008, 09:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why do you want to lean the mixture, which circuit do you want to lean out? Why did you use acetone in petrol?
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Why do you want to lean the mixture, which circuit do you want to lean out? Why did you use acetone in petrol?
haven't you seen the epic thread somewhere on here on t-bhp about mixing acetone with petrol? i'm guessing he read that or read the info that the TS of that thread read.
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
haven't you seen the epic thread somewhere on here on t-bhp about mixing acetone with petrol? i'm guessing he read that or read the info that the TS of that thread read.
I have seen that thread but never read it. I have used acetone on my RX in 2004 but it was for a different purpose and long time usage of acetone screws up the rubber parts in the fuel system.

I wanted to know what he is aiming at with lean jetting and acetone.
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:33   #5
BHPian

OT: but what did you get out of using acetone bro?

PS: i haven't read that thread either.

@ TS: yea why do you want to lean out the victor mixture? is it an attempt to increase mileage? i thought that many indian 4 strokes already tend to run a little lean anyway, as lean as possible for max mileage. i'm not an expert but i'd expect leaning it out further will only make things worse.
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
OT: but what did you get out of using acetone bro?
It was an experiment to try to find out if the acetone would do any good in minimising engine knock on a high compression engine with altered ignition map. We were trying acetone on top of ioc premium.
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:59   #7
BHPian

and what were the results like? apart from the rubber dissolving? BTW, the rubber dissolving into the mixture - would that not have an adverse impact on the engine in the long run?
Old 3rd October 2008, 17:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well, it did make an improvement to the engine and pinging reduced. But since it was making rubber act funny we stopped using it. We tried it to increase the octane rating of the fuel.
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:42   #9

@Shankar . Silver_Shadow,

Guys, I am planning for a new bike already and just wanted to try some experiments on the present one (Victor).

So far adding acetone has not made any major difference in the mileage....considering that i am not a slow rider. The only difference i have felt is that the engine feels a little quick with acetone in the fuel. Have been using it since a year now....so far no damage to the carb, fuel line or the engine. The CO and HC emissions has gone down.

With the stock tuning i used to get around 54KMPL with everyday riding in peak traffic hours.

After leaning out the mixture....the fuel average has gone up to 67KMPL.
The problem is during cold starts. This is the reason i was thinking of wiring a temperature controlled auto choke to solve the cold start issue.

One other thing....since the engine now runs a little hotter than before....i do add a bit of 2T to the fuel.

no knocks and no drop in power.....may be due to acetone?

Also one other thread had someone mention about adding boric acid to fuel and engine oil. On Wiki it says Boric acid is a flame retardant......so guess that rules out the idea of adding it to fuel......but engine oil?? mmmm
Old 9th December 2008, 17:51   #10
BHPian

hi whats this acetone used for & where can i get it & what is the cost of it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks