Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2008, 00:05   #151
BHPian

Gawd, I wish everyone would stop arguing about whether the Bull is a good product or not. Yes, we all know about all the quality issues about RE bikes. Yes it's more expensive than the Japanese plastic appliances, Yes it could be a LOT better.

Yet we are passionate about the Bullet! There are so many more of us all over. That is why the Bullet is a cult bike.

Mr. Spitfire, let me give U an analogy (?)- My wife is passionate about the various "Sas- Bahu" serials on TV. And by counting the number of Sas- Bahu serials aired by all the Hindi channels, seems the whole country is passionate about them. But i just don't get it. I don't get the passion and excitement it generates.

The bottom line- U just don't get it.

But i don't go about ranting over and over against the serials and denouncing everyone who watches them. I just Do not watch them. Period. I let the people who like them have a nice time.

I started this thread because i was really excited about the launch of the new version of RE motorcycle. Wish everyone who liked/ disliked or had something constructive to add about various aspects about this particular model would air their views/ opinion.

The regular Bullet-bashers and vindictive "paisa-vasool" types could give us some leeway and let us in peace, like I stay away and let my wife and her sahelis watch "kyonki Jassi bhi kabhi sas thi"....
Old 19th October 2008, 15:56   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
If I buy a Bullet Electra, how soon will I have to visit a mechanic ?

Will I be able to use the bike atleast for an year in peace.
We have 3 bullets in our house, mine(electra) is 2 year old and is going good till date. its not like plastic bike which we see now a days. Bullet is as hard as a rock. If anyone gets a chance to visit punjab side, they will come to know what a Bullet mean.
Old 19th October 2008, 16:50   #153
Senior - BHPian

Its a good idea to buy a used BULLET for dirt cheap and do it up completely from ground up. Will still cost much less than a PLATINA. The BULLET is very reliable, only thing is you have to keep up with all preventive maintenance schedules.

My maintenance method.
I go to the authorised showroom every 3000 kilometers for a general service.
I give the bike a water service every 1000 kilometers and take it to a friendly neighbourhood mechanic to get it greased and adjusted
Every year, I change all cables, plug and contact breaker set
Fill it up only with Shell

Its working like a dream for me
Old 19th October 2008, 18:18   #154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Spitfire, RE has not responded to your issues on pricing and quality issues, that did not stop the sale of bullets. Infact they kept selling higher volume over years. No reasoning, agreed.
Why, is it because we have owners who dig their heads in the ground and ignore it and call it a Bullet Thing? Is asking for quality such a big thing?

In these days of customer is king policy followed by companies all over why does RE have such an attitude? Is it because we have owners who dont complain or dont care to.

Quote:
Same with bullet riders as pointed out in your quote. It's individual choice. You have aired your anguish and we appreciate it. You had one bullet and now you don't. You took a stand to raise quality issues and nothing worked and you sold it. I rarely come across bullet owners selling them. Even if they do, with some compulsion/commitments.
I had 2 not one. Many Bullet owners dont sell their Bullets because they end up spending much more on the Bullet then what they can get back if they sell it.

Quote:
Not that other two wheelers have any issues, Bajaj Chetak till recently had tilt and start issue. The company had never made improvement. Today Chetak is phased out. Chetak owners had taken it for granted and still rode on. Today they are antique pieces. Still there are buyers.
I dont get the comparison. Lets not get in to comparisons please, too many parameters involved. Chetak was not sold for a premium anyways.

Quote:
So My point is Bullet is riddled with lost issue bullets. But rider complains and still rides on. They don't make issues of it.
Why not? Is asking for better quality on a Bullet a sin?

Quote:
I personally feel we should stop ante bullet campaign.

I suppose you are sportive enough.
It never was anti bullet. Its to make the bullet better.

Quote:
BTW, I see that you have Mahindra Classic. I invite you to the Off roading on 19th Oct at Ramanagara Sholay hills. Call me at 9448140425 to confirm.

Warm regards,

Dwarak
Thanks Dwarak, did read it elsewhere in the forum. My Classic is in Goa. Someday i will surely join in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Spitfire: Thanks for pointing out to that link. Its nice to know more about the new bike.

I still stick to my arguement about the old ones, don't try reasoning out a passion. You'll love to call a spade a spade and nothing else, good, don't dis, cos its the same spade that a thousand "FOOLS" will be holding to answer your questions. I don't need to answer anybody why I picked up a rattling, leaking, underpowered, overweight "bike" paying so much. Its my money and I'm allowed my fundamental right to being "foolish," or whatever you'll want to term it.
Your money, your problem. But buy sub standard quality? Why? In this days of awareness.

Quote:
Now, can we discuss about the new bike, which this topic was created for?
1. Anyone know the cost that it is going to be released in Europe for?
2. Is the 350 twin spark engine that is in India now designed by the same guys Spitfire mentioned?
3. Is the Bullet Classic going to be manufactured at the Indian plant and exported?
4. Are they any other 500s in production at present for the Indian market?
5. Anyone here has access to the plant through friends or acquaintances? Probably they will have access to the new bike too. I have a friend who was given a Thunderbird 500 cc (yes you are reading it right) to test and the same engine was later released as the Machismo 500.
-pat-
Answers i know:
1. 5 to 5.5k OTR, read it in one of the posts above.
2. Nope. The machining is done abroad. There is a difference.
3. Yes, RE dosent assemble bikes anywhere else.
4. Yes there are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
You never get tired of your wife, she is someone who is there only for you, and looks after you, willing to live and die with you. The only person who will cry once your're dead. She will stay there by your hospital bed when you are sick, rejoice with you at every small victory. She might become fat, she might lose her beauty working hard in your home, but she will always have that shining gold heart and that comforting hug forever.

Girlfriends are dime a dozen. They are sophisticated and third class, they don't care about you and you don't care about them, they come and go. They might look beautiful but that is all make up

READ BETWEEN THE LINES GUYS, YOU'LL GET WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY. AND I'M NOT EVEN MARRIED AS YET
You are not married, so lets not get into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Mr,Spitfire seems to think his linked blog article proves his case. Lets take 2 examples from his own link

1. His contention that RE cares only for customers outside India, neglecting Indian users. His link says "They spent a lot of time and money on getting the 'thump' right, which is totally critical to sales in India."

If they are focussing on markets outside India , why will his own link say RE spent a lot of time & money on getting something right, which is critical for Indian market?
Why then was it not launched in India, as and when it got launched in Europe? The thump was for Indians in Europe?

Quote:
2. The same link also says 'The engines are being machined by a new company that makes Japanese engines so that they are better than current ones, which aren’t too bad in and of themselves' .

Mr.spitfire conveniently forgot to quote the last part "which aren’t too bad in and of themselves' " , as it would have punctured his theory.
I did paste the whole link right?. What do you think i was trying to hide then? My comments still stand.

Quote:
Anybody with basic knowledge of manufacturing & mechanical engineering would have told you that vendors, processes , quality standards etc , change when you move from one material to another ( e.g. cast iron to aluminium ).

This is not the first time that external consultants are working with RE. Egli & AVL have worked extensively with them before. And these products have been sold in India.

If you have to quote a US blog to prove that vendors & processes have changed for a new bike / engine , that just shows the near absence of any understanding of manufacturing processes.
Sorry but i didnt get what you are saying. RE gets the new bike machined outside of India because the quality churned out here is sub standard. Egli and others were consultants they did not manufacture the parts for RE.

Just so you know, my family runs a OEM plant for some auto manufacturers in India and abroad.

Quote:
(using the same yardstick, any one who owns a jeep also is a fool , whose money was parted easily , as he should have bought a modern offroader instead )

To end, stop judging people for the decisions they take, with their own hard earned money. If you do not find value in a product, do not buy. But that does not make others who find value , fools.
You have turned the logic on its head and in my favour by quoting the Jeep anology. Now think about this: Mahindra starts selling a substandard product for the price of Jeep Cheerooke here in India, will you buy? Get it?

Mod's Note: Refrain from making personal attacks on fellow members. If you wish to debate then do so in a civilized manner. Ill tempered language is not tolerated on this board.

Last edited by Zappo : 19th October 2008 at 20:01.
Spitfire is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th October 2008, 23:30   #155
BHPian

Spitfire:

Thanks for your answers, appreciate it.

"Your money, your problem. But buy sub standard quality? Why? In this days of awareness."

I'm sure your not getting my point from all the previous posts I had written. I was emphasizing on Passion and not quality of the product, and that is the reason many of us are still riding this motorcycle. Probably, RE has done something or nothing over the years in terms of quality but for me older the bull the better the ride. I rest my case here as this conversation is heading no where. Probably, we could catch up for a beer some day and talk about this

Cheers
Old 20th October 2008, 09:47   #156
BHPian

Quote:

i have a 2005 electra (4S). have not had any problems whatsoever till date.
just been getting it serviced regularly.

i guess you are still confused about buyin an electra. right??
Old 20th October 2008, 10:33   #157
BHPian

Bullet is all time dream machine for men. IT changes the attitude on roads, makes one feel like a macho. I am feeling good to see this Royal macho back to market.

I would really want to buy one for me but wont really be doing bike rides. I should start using my existing bikes then I will think about buying this Macho.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:42   #158
BHPian

@spitfire- I agree with you a full blown 100% on this issue!! i had faced/still face the same attitude with yezdi owners, none of my yezdis have ever been stock, iv had to strip the mechanical, bluprint the engine, port polish etc to be satisfied with my ride, these bikes including the bulls are not in the least bit well made when they roll off the factory floor, some owners jus think its sacrilege to expect performance and quality from these bikes.. all i can say is to each his own. waht can you do? stop everyone from buying bulls? i say let them be and ill keep expecting the world from my bikes and will not accept them as they are
cheers!

Note from Mod : Please take the time to type out your posts in full words as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid the use of SMS language (jus = just, dat = that, etc), and please use proper capitalization and paragraph formatting. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th October 2008 at 10:49. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 20th October 2008, 11:23   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey, Lurker,

You mean to say , you do not want to visit mechanic even for servicing for one year. You have a negative opinion about bullet, do not buy it. My sincere advice to you is, you need to visit mechanic in modern bikes too. Every vehicle needs to be tended regularly.

Dwarak
Old 20th October 2008, 11:34   #160
Senior - BHPian

Over 10 pages of discussion, heated debates and infractions for a bike that will NOT be launched in India.

Is it worth it? We'll probably NEVER see the bike as it is destined to be a failure abroad at Enfield's desired price-point.

Though we just might get some unsold stock brought back to India and sold as Limited Edition (i.e., limited in everything except price) models - there will be enough takers for those.

Last edited by Steeroid : 20th October 2008 at 11:35.
Old 20th October 2008, 16:57   #161

Yes there are quality issues with the bull. My friend had rust on the front fork Downtubes of his brand new standard within 6 months in 94, He wrote a stinker to RE, as a result they had the dealer replace the down tubes from the export 500. The forks are fine now.

I own a 95'standard for the past 8 years and am plagued with the Royal Oilfield syndrome, But i love my bull and hv been living with it nevertheless.
I hope the new Classic will be better built if Sold here. Yes we expect Better quality , not just new tech on the bull.
Thanks
Just felt i should share.

Roshuch
Old 20th October 2008, 21:49   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Hey, Lurker,

You mean to say , you do not want to visit mechanic even for servicing for one year. You have a negative opinion about bullet, do not buy it. My sincere advice to you is, you need to visit mechanic in modern bikes too. Every vehicle needs to be tended regularly.

Dwarak
That's the right reply. if one has to take care of there bike (any bike- A bull or other Plastic bikes) then they have to visit the mechanic for regular service.
Old 21st October 2008, 10:11   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangan View Post
i have a 2005 electra (4S). have not had any problems whatsoever till date.
just been getting it serviced regularly.

i guess you are still confused about buyin an electra. right??
For a vareity of reasons I have selected Bullet 350 Std.

After reading this thread, I had cancelled Bullet Electra from my list of options. And narrowed down choice between Kinetic Blaze and FZ16. But after some research into these two models I found out that neither was the top-end model in their stable. Kinetic had a 250 cc Jupiter (which would outshine the Blaze when launched) and Yamaha had a host of other options.
Thus I went with the manufacturer who basically marketed the same model worldwide. Now this is what I am going to go for come hell or high water.

p.s. .. and thus my tryst with mechanics begins ...
Old 21st October 2008, 14:19   #164
BHPian

Quote:
For a vareity of reasons I have selected Bullet 350 Std.

After reading this thread, I had cancelled Bullet Electra from my list of options. And narrowed down choice between Kinetic Blaze and FZ16. But after some research into these two models I found out that neither was the top-end model in their stable. Kinetic had a 250 cc Jupiter (which would outshine the Blaze when launched) and Yamaha had a host of other options.
Thus I went with the manufacturer who basically marketed the same model worldwide. Now this is what I am going to go for come hell or high water.

p.s. .. and thus my tryst with mechanics begins ...

dude..whatever you do DO NOT buy the blaze. and the jupiter is history because its never going to see the light of day. check out the fz16. it is really cool.
Old 21st October 2008, 14:51   #165
evo
BHPian

wow. The bullet is the only motorcycle that makes me want to motorcycle. I`m hardly interested in two wheels, but a Bullet is something else! The new retro thumper has had me totally stumped!

Most Viewed