Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2009, 08:44   #556
Senior - BHPian

Great! Thanks RE. Just read about in the paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Did anyone checked out the rear tyre size on 500? It says 110x90 on RE website and the rest of the world is getting only 100x90. Thank you RE

For which colour you get is your luck I guess. As my dealer will get 6 in the first lot and he can not guarantee what colour I would be offered.
Good.
Old 5th November 2009, 09:42   #557
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the Classic RE yesterday at the Bandra RE Showroom in mumbai.

Was disappointed at the 1st look at it though.

Will not give a report on the same to avoid long debates here.

Wait list is 2 months, bookings have started 144 OTR mumbai for 500 Classic RE.

Cheers,
AC
Old 5th November 2009, 09:43   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserman View Post
Yes, they can be changed to 19/23.5 for an extra 5K + cost for the front mudguard which would have to be from the 350. (this also reduces colour options to black and maroon only).
What about the rear?
Old 5th November 2009, 10:14   #559
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Was disappointed at the 1st look at it though.
Quite surprising that you didnt like the looks. Its modeled around a "real" 1950's Bullet. I know its a subjective thing, but it does look like a proper Bullet. Albeit a modern 21st century one.

But its not only the looks. Along with the engine it looks like an exciting package.

Maybe a TR or two will give a better perspective.

Eagerly waiting for a test ride. The bangalore showrooms say - no TR yet. Hate Yamaha for bringing in this trend of no TRs.

Last edited by Spitfire : 5th November 2009 at 10:16.
Old 5th November 2009, 10:19   #560
Senior - BHPian

Spitfire,

Shoot an email off to RE and berate them for no test rides.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 5th November 2009, 10:30   #561
BHPian

Hey guys,

Sorry about the long post guys, but couldn't resist.

I saw the classic last evening at the RE brand store, they have a maroon 500 and a black 350 on display..they haven't started the test ride yet.

Let me tell you people they look beautiful, beautiful in fact is an understatement to say the least..I loved the tires on it, i loved the exhaust cover dipped in chrome as you all can see the in the pictures, The final drive chain is on the right side just like thunderbird twinspark, As mentioned before the 350 classic borrows the engine assembly from the "legendary" Thunderbird ..incorporating the same twinspark technology. The 500 Classic however is an overbored version of the same, incorporating the same twinspark technology, and its nicely endorsed on the engine too, on the right side. I loved the New Logo, as in the old logo but in this new age. Magnificent RE. Way to go.

The Handle bar is almost or i think is same as the std, making the bike extremely comfortable to sit on, The handle grips are i think borrowed from the Electra with black bar end weights unlike the chrome found doing duty on the machismo, However the clutch and break handles ?, are same as the machismo's. The Seats are beautiful and so much more comfortable than the ones on Electra or even machismo IMHO, the split seats give classic and old look, it felt as if i am looking at the interceptor , back in the days. It looked very triumph boneville kinds to me, though it does not even come around boneville in any aspect. The tires i think do not have any soft compound on it, not sure about it though. they are MRF's by the way..18 inchers..i think this makes the bullet more accessible to people who are not very tall, Good thinking i'd say by RE. I am not sure how this will effect the performance of the bike, please enlighten me ?

The sound of the 350 classic is more towards the thunderbird twinspark, and the sound of 500 is completely different, The tappet sound or better known as clatter is almost negligible if compared to the AVL's, the engine is so tamed i would say..

The Engine oil notification comes on when you turn on the ignition and switches of in ten seconds or so indicating no problems with the engine, I found this feature quite useful, and i appreciate the efforts made by a home bred company struggling to be at par with japo's and other bike manufacturers. like the newspaper article mentioned, THE CULT BIKE MAKER is on the move..

Classic 500 doesn't come with auto decomp as mentioned somewhere in the forum, they have retained the decomp lever and trust me you cannot kick her into life without using it.

The overall fit and finish i think is okay, though time will decide if it worked.

The only thing i did not like is that LB 500, which i currently own and she is two months old now, has a distinct presence, which is menacing to some, classic 500 is more tamed by the looks of it, which does not work for me, but i am still drooling over it. i think probably for people who always thought 500 is a bit too much will be able to give it a thought..

Overall i am all praises for RE, Good job RE..

Happy riding !
Old 5th November 2009, 10:35   #562
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Shoot an email off to RE and berate them for no test rides.
RE doesn't like mails from me

Will try my luck in person this weekend. If no go, then i go ringing numbers in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
Overall i am all praises for RE, Good job RE..
Ah.. nice. Good to hear that.
Old 5th November 2009, 10:51   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Quite surprising that you didnt like the looks. Its modeled around a "real" 1950's Bullet. I know its a subjective thing, but it does look like a proper Bullet. Albeit a modern 21st century one.

But its not only the looks. Along with the engine it looks like an exciting package.

Maybe a TR or two will give a better perspective.

Eagerly waiting for a test ride. The bangalore showrooms say - no TR yet. Hate Yamaha for bringing in this trend of no TRs.
Hi Spitfire,

Was disappointed on 2 fronts.
  1. no curved exhaust, that 1 element change the whole look of the bull
  2. the engine: though more powerful, more efficient, it lacks the thump and thats where i lost the bike. (new bull lovers do not pounce on to me, the old bull riders will understand this one)
Cheers,
ac
Old 5th November 2009, 11:03   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserman View Post
Better still, bring out the thunderbird in 500cc FI for the perfect touring bike.
Thunderbird 500 FI would be a killer!

Last edited by rrahul_2778 : 5th November 2009 at 11:05.
Old 5th November 2009, 12:13   #565
BHPian

I just noticed the difference in length of the Classics.

Classic 500 is 2130 mm
Classic 350 is 2150 mm

Classic 500 is less by 20 mm in length. Is the difference due to the 19" in front for the 350?
Old 5th November 2009, 12:15   #566
BHPian

just got the word : Classic 500EFI : 120000 on road in delhi + 4 k here in dehradun !
Old 5th November 2009, 12:28   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
I just noticed the difference in length of the Classics.

Classic 500 is 2130 mm
Classic 350 is 2150 mm

Classic 500 is less by 20 mm in length. Is the difference due to the 19" in front for the 350?
Yes, that is right.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 5th November 2009, 14:28   #568
BHPian

sorry have to update : the last info i posted was a bit wrong : its 125000/- ex-showroom in delhi & 125000/- on road here at dehradun
Old 5th November 2009, 14:36   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
What about the rear?
Including rear Rs +/- 5000 (cost for both rims+tyres). Extra for mudguard.
Old 5th November 2009, 14:52   #570
Senior - BHPian

Sad news for me guys:( Just spoke the the Regional Manager for Chandigarh Mr Tarun Sharma for the delivery date. According to him, I have no chance of getting the bike before 25th November. Cant wait another 19 days.

Oh another thing about the saree guard, which will come as standard equipment. You will have to pay extra to get it replaced by a simple mudguard liner.

If you want the upswept silencer then you will have to change the bend pipe from Classic 350. Upswept silencer can not be fitted to the 500 bend pipe.

Last edited by Randhawa : 5th November 2009 at 14:58.

Most Viewed