Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 22:46   #601
BHPian

Thanks shashank,

I am inching to ride the bike but another two months is really difficult. Anyway I hope to check out the green color in a couple of days

Last edited by indian21r : 6th November 2009 at 23:03.
Old 7th November 2009, 10:18   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Spitfire,

Shoot an email off to RE and berate them for no test rides.

Cheers,

Jay
test rides are available at hsr motors mission road. i took one on a maroon machine a couple of days back. oh man! the bike is amazing. its like a 'prancing horse', waiting to be unleashed. its a great effort from re.

sadly no budget at the moment. but sure hope to get myself a green one next year.
Old 7th November 2009, 17:51   #603
Senior - BHPian

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to ask if anybody was able to take a test ride of the UCE500 today & if yes, please put up your ride report soon. I am just itching to read how it rides.

Thans.

Happy thumping,
Prakhar
Old 7th November 2009, 19:24   #604
BHPian

Randhawa, you seem to be the only one who has TD'ed both the Classic 350 and 500. What s your take comparing both these motorcyles?
Old 7th November 2009, 20:22   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus View Post
Randhawa, you seem to be the only one who has TD'ed both the Classic 350 and 500. What s your take comparing both these motorcyles?
It was going to be a big mistake if I had gone for 350, I am glad that I was tempted to go for 500.

I never thought there would be so much of difference between the two, They are world apart and 500 is worth every extra penny. In simple words, 350 is a docile bull and 500 a ravaging bull. Every thing same except in 500 you feel like you want to go on a wild goose chase intentionally.

I personally felt if I was riding a high speed locomotive with "destroy everything" attitude. The power delivery is raw which I liked and not like other high revving bikes where you just hear the pipe and everything is smooth. You feel the big bang going inside, the torque is just tremendous. Vibration is very much controlled nothing compared to CI blocks where you can churn the milk at 100km/h. You just feel like keeping the throttle twisted eternity.

So if you are going for a classic then go for a 500 or just leave it. Other better goodies in 500 is the self start motor from Denso (made in Japan).

TBTS and 350C are almost the same in terms of performance and feel, so if you have driven one then you know what I mean.

@Blackfire_9-Please read my previous mini TR report.
Old 7th November 2009, 20:38   #606
Senior - BHPian

I saw the bike, 350 and 500. They have 3 bikes on display. My observations:

The bike looks great with the bend silencer. But the bike, especially 500, with 18" front and rear rims looks small. The overall size looks disproportionate with less height and more width.
The seat height is around 2" lesser than Electra.
The self starter system in 500 is made by Denso, Japan.
The rear seat looks neat.
The light blue colour looks much better than in picture. Black is the best.
The tires are MRF Zappers with increased width. It seems to have good grip.
The overall finishing is not great, especially chrome. The side stand spring has rust, the RE sticker on the tank of one of the bikes was slightly peeled.

The bike, 500, was revved in the showroom. The sound is a mix of Thump and AVL clatter. Not bad.

The expected delivery in Teknik Motors, Indira Nagar is in March.

I find 500 EFI value for money. I may go for one sometime next year. It does not make sense to book one now considering the waiting period.

Found a TD report in my friends blog:
PrabhuBravo - Tours on wheels: Royal Enfield Classic 500 Review

Last edited by PatienceWins : 7th November 2009 at 20:56.
Old 7th November 2009, 21:23   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quick question:

If I ride at 60-70, do I really need the 500? By going in for the 350, I'll be able to buy safety gear with the money I save.

Tips and suggestions please.
Old 7th November 2009, 21:43   #608
BHPian

Randhawa, thanks for your thoughts on 500 and 350.
Ess you we, question is how you want to get to 60kmph? He he!
Else you would do just fine with the 350, or better the Electra 5s.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:06   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Randhawa, thanks for your thoughts on 500 and 350.
Ess you we, question is how you want to get to 60kmph? He he!
Else you would do just fine with the 350, or better the Electra 5s.

I am a fairly sedate driver. I never accelerate too hard and rarely go beyond 70-80.

But that does not mean I never drive fast. Every once in a while acceleration is needed. The only difference between me and the others here is that I'll accelerate hard much less than others.

How well does the 350 handle constant cruising at 70?

I am more concerned with how well these bikes cruise rather than winning a race.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:23   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I am a fairly sedate driver. I never accelerate too hard and rarely go beyond 70-80.

But that does not mean I never drive fast. Every once in a while acceleration is needed. The only difference between me and the others here is that I'll accelerate hard much less than others.

I am more concerned with how well these bikes cruise rather than winning a race.
Go for the UCE350, buy some safety gear and go touring with the remaining cash. The UCE350 will comfortably do a genuine 80 all day long.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 7th November 2009, 22:27   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

I think 350 would provide relaxed cruising at 70. But I would strongly recommend 500 if you are looking for performance and high altitude riding:

Massive torque. This would always provide torque on demand and improve the driveability. It will make overtaking on highway a breeze and provide relaxed cruising at high speeds. I think a relaxed cruising speed of 90 to 100 will be a boon on very good highway roads.

EFI would increase the throttle response and give crisp power delivery. The fuel efficiency would be better.

Last but not the least, you would not easily get bored with the vehicle.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:41   #612
Senior - BHPian

See... If I could I would have bought a Harley Davidson.

But I can't.

Buying a 500 would mean compromising on the safety gear. With the amount of crushed skulls I have seen on the road, the thought makes me very queasy.

I am sparing 10k for the safety gear.
Old 7th November 2009, 23:16   #613
BHPian

I used to ride a 350 deluxe in '95 and after I sold it in 97 due to my transfer to a remote location where I was forced to use only 4 wheelers, I was never able to go to a RE showroom. I was tempted and picked up pulsar 180 in 2002. Since then waiting for a twin cylinder affordable saddle but when Ninja is finally here , I am torn between Ninja and UCE 500 at half the cost. Sadly none of these is available for a test ride. Visited the showroom again today but no TR (test ride) available at even company owned showroom at Mumbai. Looks good , feels good and tempting. Saw it in all the three colors. 500 is better VFM IMHO. But yes FE would be less. Told by sales staff to contact after 11th. They are waiting for company's instructions to allow test rides. Bikes used for RTO approvals are available and most probably will be offered for TRs.
Old 8th November 2009, 00:05   #614
BHPian

Essyouwee, from my short stint with the uce 350 engined TBTS, the Classic 350 would meet your requirements. Buying good riding gear for the rest of the amount is a very good idea!
Old 8th November 2009, 01:03   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Essyouwee, from my short stint with the uce 350 engined TBTS, the Classic 350 would meet your requirements. Buying good riding gear for the rest of the amount is a very good idea!

I really do want to invest in the gear. The small difference in price is making it a very hard bargain (350 v/s 500). Will have to decide on the price of safety gear and try to limit it within 6-8k.

Most Viewed