Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 20:59   #661
Senior - BHPian

^that is indeed the air filter box.whats wrong with this pic?

the oval box next to it is the toolbox.you have to see it yourself to understand its design.
Old 9th November 2009, 22:10   #662
BHPian

Yeah,its the fair filter and the fuel injector sits kinda behind the oval box. Even the fuel injection unit sits pretty much exposed.

Old 9th November 2009, 22:18   #663
BHPian

We do see twin accelerator cables and and a lot of wires. So more cables to break and more wires to get taped. Love the bike but the techonology makes me nervous. Imagine being stuck on the top of Tanglang La with a bad air intake sensor. . Lots to learn for bullet riders in times to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus View Post
Yeah,its the fair filter and the fuel injector sits kinda behind the oval box. Even the fuel injection unit sits pretty much exposed.

Old 9th November 2009, 22:30   #664
BHPian

Yeah, thats what I say when somebody asks me why anybody would go for classic 350 when you have the 500 for a small premium with fi. When things were simple itself, there were niggles. Now its gonna get complicated. And with the UCE and Fi if the svc guys fold their hands you cant even go to the local Bullet mech!
Too many wires without any protective sheathing and the whole thing is as exposed as a Black Cat in a snowfield!
Old 9th November 2009, 23:26   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
These 3 points out of the 8, make me suggest a new gen - read UCE bike for your cousin.

Decide between 350 or 500.
Thanks Spitfire and Sheshagiri - We are also leaning towards 350. But can you guys give some goodies, I mean technical advantages, in favour of Classic Bikes.

The Rider is getting his first Bike. And he's just turned 18. So 350 itself is more than enough. We were actually planning a 150 CC.

Obviously, 500 is much better and that too with EFI, but We feel it's too much for a First time buyer.

Last edited by jaaz : 9th November 2009 at 23:27.
Old 10th November 2009, 02:55   #666
BHPian

^ 18 yr old first timer ? You are looking at the wrong bike mate ! I would put him on an RX135 . Inexpensive way to learn the fun of motorcycling and lots of potential for more power . Or if u want something brand new i would suggest the next closest machine - RTR 180 .
Old 10th November 2009, 11:18   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish View Post
We do see twin accelerator cables and and a lot of wires. So more cables to break and more wires to get taped. Love the bike but the techonology makes me nervous. Imagine being stuck on the top of Tanglang La with a bad air intake sensor. . Lots to learn for bullet riders in times to come.

They have given more importance to looks than utillity. I would prefer to have those wires concealed considering the terrain and indian conditions. The bike being down in a remote location seems scary with the new technology.
Old 10th November 2009, 11:43   #668
BANNED

Quote:
Even the fuel injection unit sits pretty much exposed.
Looking at the pics it does not look well concealed. I have not read any issues being reported on other forums where the wiring for the EFI has been a concern.

But yes the wires could have been concealed much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish View Post
I dont think those are twin accelerator cables, one may be a return tensioner. Again, need to have a look at a bike.

About being paranoid. Well we grew up with much bigger issues on earlier Bullets. Its no rocket science to by pass some sensors. We can see some hop up modules soon.

And no one goes for a long ride - with a fill it, shut it, forget it attitude. Murphy's law is a wicked one.

Quote:
Yeah, thats what I say when somebody asks me why anybody would go for classic 350 when you have the 500 for a small premium with fi.
This is a new product for India. But has been available abroad for quite sometime now. I am sure they have ironed out most of the faults by now. Having said that let me add the word - "Hopefully" to the above sentence.

But again i haven't heard about too many issues with the EFI.

Oh and about being in the Himalayas. The EFI does come with a choke so I guess the unit does not rely on sensors too much and jst does a job of metering the air fuel misture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
They have given more importance to looks than utillity.
They got EFI with UCE, thats utility with 4 stars over pushrod engines. Bullets could be repaired in the hinderlands because they used to break down. This might not break down.

But lets give it sometime before giving it an all clear.

I am a big optimist and i think this bike goes with it. After being stranded and scared out of my wits while riding a 350 STD, anything better is welcome.

Funny pattern though for all things i hated RE, they have gone and reversed them. And i am a believer again. I am a born again RE fan.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:34   #669

hello fellow BHPians,

I was heart broken when i heard the news of the launch of these 2 classics. It hurt all the more since I bought a new Thunderbird 2 months back. I am of the opinion that UCE rocks, in terms of reliability and for a change behaving like a regular bike. I do miss the thunder of the original RE but at the same time remember by friends having those frequent visits to the mechanic for niggles.

I know the new classics have the new UCE, and I am really feeling inclined to go for it. I do need a few pointers here:
  • how much can i expect for my 2 month old Thunderbird TS (Original - INR108,000)
  • Does anyone have any clue for the pricing of Classic 350
  • Do you recommend it, I know my mind says NO, heart says YES
I have really fallen for that retro look but just wanted to get a feel of what people with similar passion feel about this.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Samit
Old 10th November 2009, 13:44   #670
BHPian

I have booked the Classic 350. Here's why:

Bike will be used daily- easy commuter in city traffic.
On weekends, I like to relax, cruise on the highways, occasional rough roads- no better bike than a bullet.
Average matters, especially when I want to simply roam with no fixed destination in mind.
I care about bullet looks, charm and give extra marks for reliability of UCE over standard.
I don't particularly care about the thump and extra power of a 500, which would hardly be used on Indian roads.

Having said that, I would love the experience of riding a 500, just that the 350 makes more practical sense. Both bikes are great value for money imho.
Old 10th November 2009, 20:07   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
^that is indeed the air filter box.whats wrong with this pic?

the oval box next to it is the toolbox.you have to see it yourself to understand its design.
In my std 350 the oval thingy is the Airfilter. Was trying to know if that is the same way here. Thanks.
Old 10th November 2009, 20:31   #672
BHPian

You have the same engine setup as the Classic 350 so il say should not matter much.. What is it that you are looking for in the classic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samit_thunder View Post
hello fellow BHPians,

I was heart broken when i heard the news of the launch of these 2 classics. It hurt all the more since I bought a new Thunderbird 2 months back. I am of the opinion that UCE rocks, in terms of reliability and for a change behaving like a regular bike. I do miss the thunder of the original RE but at the same time remember by friends having those frequent visits to the mechanic for niggles.

I know the new classics have the new UCE, and I am really feeling inclined to go for it. I do need a few pointers here:
  • how much can i expect for my 2 month old Thunderbird TS (Original - INR108,000)
  • Does anyone have any clue for the pricing of Classic 350
  • Do you recommend it, I know my mind says NO, heart says YES
I have really fallen for that retro look but just wanted to get a feel of what people with similar passion feel about this.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Samit
Old 10th November 2009, 22:44   #673
Senior - BHPian

Hi everybody,

I don't want to sound fussy or pessimistic, but then a little something caught my attention & wanted to share it.

Check out the area outlined by the red circle in the attached picture.

Happy thumping,
Prakhar

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th November 2009 at 13:03. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 11th November 2009, 00:59   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Check out the area outlined by the red circle in the attached picture.
What's that... peeling paint? Could be a dull reflection too -- can't say without examining closely.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:54   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
What's that... peeling paint? Could be a dull reflection too -- can't say without examining closely.
It seems the paint is peeled off from that area. As I said earlier, the finishing could be much better. But I am happy as RE is in the right direction with respect to technology and reliability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks