Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2009, 16:55   #751
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Post by Gordon. Sorry.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe
Perhaps the thump improves with the up-swept exhaust, but isn't a loud thump irritating on long rides?
You bet, it can. Not to mention the vibration. Which is why we shift to the stock silencer if we go for a very long ride. Its much more comfortable, and as an addition its easier to speak to the pillion too.

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-1111.jpg
Old 21st November 2009, 17:04   #752
Senior - BHPian

I know that all of us have endemic fiddlewithititis, but I suspect that the current lot starting with the 500LB are best left in stock form, if one seeks reliability of sorts. I get tempted every couple of months, but till date have left my 500 in stock form and she runs flawlessly, if with a somewhat muted thump. As in the pic above, the pipe goes on for ever, but the chrome has lasted very well for two years now - having said that I must say that the bike is used in fair weather only. Goes in for service every four months, but other than that, fuss free. I am guessing that the new bikes take that game to the next step, which is fine, but I hope that the character has not all been wrung out of it. Personally, I prefer the look of the separate gearbox too!
Old 21st November 2009, 22:53   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As in the pic above, the pipe goes on for ever, but the chrome has lasted very well for two years now.
The bike is four years old in that pic. This Jan it'll become five and the chrome quality is stilll intact.

Yup, Enfield chrome quality is improving. The chrome on the tank, front mudguard, wheels, rear shocks and silencer is very good. You just need to take care of them, thats all.
Old 22nd November 2009, 04:32   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hmmm just as expected.

Will have to try to see if the seat is not good. I guess it'll have a lot to do with a person's size and butt style. :P

You used to ride a ZMA, how would you rate the 500 EFI's pickup and top end grunt v/s the ZMA?
I still ride one
and I found CL500 to be faster,rest test figures will disclose the real figures.
Old 22nd November 2009, 06:31   #755
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the insight.

No one else test ridden it yet?

@V12

Hmmm... I am anyways not a big fan of unnecessarily loud sounds. A muted thump works best for me.

The reason I love REs is the ability to cruise. My RX-100 used to keep misfiring and used to sound like it was absolutely out of breath if I ever tried to cruise. It was great for initial acceleration though!
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:38   #756

Unfortunately this bike is not made with touring in mind. Seems RE wanted to cash in on the citified ponytailed types (no offence intended) wanting to make a style statement. RE would have been much better off putting the 500 UCE in a thunderbird which is a far better tourer, having far better seating for both rider and pillion.
Also with upswept exhaust I wonder if there is enough space for saddlebags.
Old 22nd November 2009, 20:00   #757
Senior - BHPian

Nope. I checked that out, afaik most of the touring bags in India won't fit it.

@Cruiserman

Definitely, agreed it comes nowhere close to being the perfect cruiser. But I do believe that its not about just style statements.

It has a powerful heart and brings back the vintage looks. IMO that isn't a very popular style statement. The stickers on Karizma's fairings are. :P

As V12 pointed out, not many people take the custom exhausts along for touring. IMO, its best to keep it as stock as possible when out on the long road.

PS: I fail to understand how calling people citified ponytail types can have any other connotations than offensive.

Last edited by EssYouWe : 22nd November 2009 at 20:01.
Old 22nd November 2009, 21:00   #758
BHPian

Well thats the beauty of the RE. You can customize it to your own own style of riding. I mostly ride to the Himalayas . I have a Electra 5S and I have a twin seat and a thunderbird handle bar. So I dont think there is anything wrong in getting 19" wheels and a different handle or a better saddle on the bike. I am going to do the same as soon as I get a 500. Though I love the cast iron block and will retain it even if I get a CL500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
electra seat, alloy wheels? why not fit 19" wheel too and conver it to an electra?

the beauty of the classic lies in its low stance, single seat, upswept exhaust. taking all this away means thats its an electra with an uce engine.

we can call it this mish-mash bike the "ucetra" and not the classic.
Old 23rd November 2009, 00:07   #759

Quote:
Nope. I checked that out, afaik most of the touring bags in India won't fit it.

@Cruiserman

Definitely, agreed it comes nowhere close to being the perfect cruiser. But I do believe that its not about just style statements.

It has a powerful heart and brings back the vintage looks. IMO that isn't a very popular style statement. The stickers on Karizma's fairings are. :P

As V12 pointed out, not many people take the custom exhausts along for touring. IMO, its best to keep it as stock as possible when out on the long road.

PS: I fail to understand how calling people citified ponytail types can have any other connotations than offensive.
Ahem! Some of my best friends are citified ponytail types.....So If I offended anyone--sorry!
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:06   #760

Now back to bikes; Yes, the 500 UCE (the engine) is a work of beauty- I fell in love with it on first sight. But for the life of me I can't fathom why it has been placed in a frame not given to long rides. After all such a powerhorse can and should be put to good use on the highway and dirtway. It's the perfect engine for cruising. Yes after a few mods (19 inch wheels, handlebars, seats, and 6 or 7 thousand bucks later) it would suit the bill. Oh, and maybe a 19 incher in the front may not be possible because it probably entails changing the mudguard as well which limits the colour options to black and maroon (would have to use 350 classic mudguard).

Look, I know this sounds a bit like sour grapes, but the classic was originally released in the West keeping in mind that westerners would buy it for its 'old world charm'. In India, Enfields fulfill a different purpose; that being the ability to travel long distances fatigue free and handle the bad Indian roads. I cannot imagine riding to leh-ladakh on the classic in its present form!

All in all, like I said - a fantastic engine, a step in the right direction, but a wee bit impractical. I still might go for it if I can muster the courage to spend more on mods over and above the 1.5 it costs here in Pune.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:29   #761
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserman View Post
But for the life of me I can't fathom why it has been placed in a frame not given to long rides.
What is the frame modeled on then? Would be interesting to know? It does not look like a sportsbike frame to me...

Quote:
I cannot imagine riding to leh-ladakh on the classic in its present form!
Oh come on. There is much more in India then to ride to Leh - Ladakh.

Quote:
but a wee bit impractical.
To ride to Ladakh? This bike of all bikes suits the touring in India needs like no other.

PS: I have never ridden to Ladakh. Nor do i intend to.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:35   #762
Senior - BHPian

Neither am I tourer, nor have I ridden the CL500 yet. I do not know whether it is suited for touring.

Almost none of the bikes in India come with eye-holes for touring bags. They have to be fit after market.
I am sure there must be some way of making that single seat more comfy.

I don't understand why 19"ers are necessary for touring. AFAIK no one has had problems with the handlebar. All reports suggest that it is extremely comfortable.

All I see a problem with is the seat. And I am sure someone or the other will come up with a solution(not necessarily using the Electra seat).

IMO this can make it to Leh-Ladakh. (just wait and watch )

Cheers!
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:45   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserman
But for the life of me I can't fathom why it has been placed in a frame not given to long rides.
Whats wrong with the frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserman
Look, I know this sounds a bit like sour grapes, but the classic was originally released in the West keeping in mind that westerners would buy it for its 'old world charm'.
Think the Westeners are more bothered about long rides. Met a German the other day who told me that he would love to buy a bike (Enfield mostly), but any bike in the city is annoying. So he uses his Skoda Laura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe
I don't understand why 19"ers are necessary for touring.
Exactly my question. They've given an inch smaller with a slightly wider tyre, which is surely a better option.

About the seat. Whats wrong with the seat? Probably the foam may be stiff for long rides, but you can anyways soften it. There are sooo many tourers who shift to single seats for trips.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:50   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Neither am I tourer, nor have I ridden the CL500 yet. I do not know whether it is suited for touring.

Almost none of the bikes in India come with eye-holes for touring bags. They have to be fit after market.
I am sure there must be some way of making that single seat more comfy.

I don't understand why 19"ers are necessary for touring. AFAIK no one has had problems with the handlebar. All reports suggest that it is extremely comfortable.

All I see a problem with is the seat. And I am sure someone or the other will come up with a solution(not necessarily using the Electra seat).

IMO this can make it to Leh-Ladakh. (just wait and watch )

Cheers!
Touring bags like Cramster dont need any mods to be used.
Just mount them on seat,and you are ready.+

I found single seat to be uncomfortable,as it was a bit too small,and any small adjustments i made,i felt i will fall off

Last edited by akshay4587 : 23rd November 2009 at 11:52.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:56   #765
BANNED

Since we are going on about touring. I have ridden like 25k kilometers only to see places on my bike.

All the stuff I had to carry did not go beyond one proper knapsack. Note I never carried tents and stuff and preferred sleeping at railway stations, temples or bus stands.

If you want to carry the kitchen sink then yes the Classic may not be ideal.

Most Viewed