Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 12:59   #91
Team-BHP Support

My thunderbird joined me on 14-Jul-2003.

Estimated to have run around 70k kms.

Apart from the regular oil changes, tires, chains and cables.
Only one engine component was replaced.
A small crown wheel that controls the tappets for about Rs 200/-.

There is something like magic between the bike and the owner. If it sets right then nothing in this world can match it. But for some it just does not happen.
Old 16th October 2008, 13:03   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Lets not even discuss the "Bullet thing". Every vehicle has to deliver what it was designed for.
It dosent and still sells with the quality they churn out.

Quote:
But if a substantial number of RE customers were frustrated & disappointed with the ownership experience , like you , then the company will close their shutters in no time. As of now, it has not happened.
Again something i dont understand. Product quality is not very good, product placing is also suspect, dont have a very good roadmap for their products, management dosent listen to Indian buyer, concentration is more on selling abroad, etc, etc.

Quote:
Are Bullet spares overpriced , compared to other 2 wheeler brands ? I thought availability rather than prices was the issue.
To an extent yes, because of the quality of spares. Eg. Rubber seals on the front suspension - the ones on my 350 lasted not more then 1-4 month after replacing, the longest that lasted were the original ones - 6 months. After that have been replacing them in 2 months just to stay away from a failure and oil leakage - preventation better then cure. The ones on my CBZ have been replaced only one's, both bought in the same year - 2001.

Availability in Goa is very bad. But thats a different issue and not too concerned.
Old 16th October 2008, 13:39   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

3. Now thats what i dont get - the RE customers. I was an RE customer too and a totally frustated one after the numerous failures of the bike and then the spares. I have seen so many customers buy a bullet and then sell it off just because they could not afford the time, money and patience involved and then i see an equal number not complaining about the same and happily mentioning it as the "Bullet Thing". Now i know what will be the next argument ofcourse the "Bullet Thing". But why is my question. You will shout and crib and cry if the door of your M800 dosent close properly or if the coolant or oil leaks or the headlight fuses. But not the same reaction for a Bullet. why ? Is it the "Bullet Thing"?

4. Ok.
Now Spitfire, yes its called a bullet thing! They will bring up the heritage and say that RE is the only company that has developed and survived on its on for so long and this and that.. End of the day you still get sub standard quality, they prefer the customers out of India, a product thats made in India doesnt get sold here, I can go on
Even Cheapo chinese bikes will not break down as much as a bullet.

Well its something like this, 90% of the RE break down and when they break down you better be a 6ft tall person to push it around. And maybe the 10% dont suffer much, These are the lucky ones. The so called magic or luck as I call and see it

Now I read this and someone said something about the RD 350 ? RE as been around for so long so why havnt they improved their QC, tech, why must they still stick to a 30 year old design?

The cops in Bangalore used to use RE but now all most all have shifted to bajaj bikes.

Last edited by Gregory : 16th October 2008 at 13:43.
Old 16th October 2008, 13:54   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My thunderbird joined me on 14-Jul-2003.

Estimated to have run around 70k kms.

Apart from the regular oil changes, tires, chains and cables.
Only one engine component was replaced.
A small crown wheel that controls the tappets for about Rs 200/-.

There is something like magic between the bike and the owner. If it sets right then nothing in this world can match it. But for some it just does not happen.
Good for you mate. I am happy you have managed to maintain the bike is such good condition and the bike itself has been of reliable service to you. Dosent surprise me a bit. I have seen many of these too. But it still does not answer my question. But then you give the last para and my brain does a small jig. HEY??

Lets keep emotions aside, connection and all - do you connect to your fridge too? or your water pump? Lets look at it as a product meant for sale. I know its an automobile and we need to consider all this but then we need to be practical too and once you get emotions in i dont have a case.

Again, looks like you are a very good rider and take a lot of care of your Bullet. Lot more miles to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
Now Spitfire, yes its called a bullet thing! They will bring up the heritage and say that RE is the only company that has developed and survived on its on for so long and this and that.. End of the day you still get sub standard quality, they prefer the customers out of India, a product thats made in India doesnt get sold here, I can go on
Even Cheapo chinese bikes will not break down as much as a bullet.

Well its something like this, 90% of the RE break down and when they break down you better be a 6ft tall person to push it around. And maybe the 10% dont suffer much, These are the lucky ones. The so called magic or luck as I call and see it

Now I read this and someone said something about the RD 350 ? RE as been around for so long so why havnt they improved their QC, tech, why must they still stick to a 30 year old design?

The cops in Bangalore used to use RE but now all most all have shifted to bajaj bikes.
Well lets not comapre bikes here. Lets stick to the Bullet.

When i had to sell the bike i could not make myself do it. Maybe the Bullet thing maybe not. Well actually i had the same feeling when i had to sell my first generation scooty. And then realised its not Bullet specific.

Bottomline: If the above Bullet Classic does make it to India, dont bother about the Europeans - below the skin everyone is human. Then i expect quality as good as atleast the r15 the fz16 or the Karizma for that matter. Point to be noted we can get 2 of these for the price of 1 above. I know not a good comparison - but i am not comparing the soul, attitude or nicheness(if its a word) of the product. Just simply quality per rupee spend.
Old 16th October 2008, 14:01   #95
Team-BHP Support

> do you connect to your fridge too? or your water pump?

actually yes.

except my vacuum cleaner, because it sucks. And only my life is supposed to do that.
Old 16th October 2008, 14:06   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

actually yes.

except my vacuum cleaner, because it sucks. And only my life is supposed to do that.

Wish there was an option just add a smiley instead of twenty chars...
Old 16th October 2008, 14:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

@spitfire: there are two types of people 1) who are bullet riders 2) who think they are bullet riders

People who are bullet riders will bear the pain, the anguish, the angst, the embarrassment only so that they can ride it. They will clean their bikes themselves, spoil sunday afternoons with visits to the garage. . .and all of that. Now you might ask WHY ?
The answer is simple, A bullet for us is not a BIKE, its not a 'thing' we use to commute from point a to point b. To prove my point, almost every bull owner must be calling his / her bull by a name. now you don't name your vacuum cleaner, table, tv, fridge. . .

The second type of people who think who are bullet riders, but are not. They will crib about all the rational problems which are there with the bullet. But these guys forgot the point if you want a point A to a Point B bike get a jap bike (having said that i don't want to take anything away from them, they are wonderfull bikes).

Another point you mention is 'not to get emotional'.
Every car bought in India is based on a emotional decision. The rationals are just the post buy hooks to make one feel good. Buying a bull is an emotional decision only. I mean bulls are hot in the second hand market.

And as bblost said, for some people it works, for someone it does not.

Cheers,
AC
Old 16th October 2008, 14:46   #98
BANNED

Quote:

actually yes.

I rest my case. Thank you for your time.
Old 16th October 2008, 15:08   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
@spitfire: there are two types of people 1) who are bullet riders 2) who think they are bullet riders

People who are bullet riders will bear the pain, the anguish, the angst, the embarrassment only so that they can ride it. They will clean their bikes themselves, spoil sunday afternoons with visits to the garage. . .and all of that. Now you might ask WHY ?
The answer is simple, A bullet for us is not a BIKE, its not a 'thing' we use to commute from point a to point b. To prove my point, almost every bull owner must be calling his / her bull by a name. now you don't name your vacuum cleaner, table, tv, fridge. . .
You will bear the pain, the anguish, the angst, the embarraassement only so that you can ride a Bullet that is for you - not a BIKE( my mind sort of short circuited) , its not a "thing"(getting crazier) and which you dont use to commute from point A to Point B(when you say point A to point B i think you are reffering to it as not a commuter, fine it cant be one because it will break down cause of the sub standard parts, i agree but then what?). Or is it only "i have a Bullet and only i know what i use it for and i dont care what you think". That answer does it for me but then, who is the one confused?

Quote:
The second type of people who think who are bullet riders, but are not. They will crib about all the rational problems which are there with the bullet. But these guys forgot the point if you want a point A to a Point B bike get a jap bike (having said that i don't want to take anything away from them, they are wonderfull bikes).
So if i want a point A to point B bike(commuter) i get the reliable better quality and non breaking down bikes and stay away from the bullet? Why cant i have a point A to point B Bullet, i am paying 1.1 lakh for a bike(for discussion sake lets call it a bike), it should atleast do that or is it asking for too much?

Cribbing about getting better quality makes you a person who dosent understand the "Bullet Thing"? So if i feel the pain, the anguish, the angst, the embarrassement because of the sub standard quality i know the "Bullet Thing"?

Quote:
Another point you mention is 'not to get emotional'.
Every car bought in India is based on a emotional decision. The rationals are just the post buy hooks to make one feel good. Buying a bull is an emotional decision only. I mean bulls are hot in the second hand market.

And as bblost said, for some people it works, for someone it does not.

Cheers,
AC
Emotions overcome common sense. And it has been proved. I can never argue that. But bear a sub standard product for years together only because of emotion - i dont get it.

Like bblost said, for some people it works, for someone it does not.

Regards
Spitfire

Last edited by Spitfire : 16th October 2008 at 15:15.
Old 16th October 2008, 15:14   #100
Senior - BHPian

I was planning to buy a bike and narrowed down choice to an Electra 5S and a FZ16.
All your talk is scaring me away from the Electra.
Old 16th October 2008, 15:21   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I was planning to buy a bike and narrowed down choice to an Electra 5S and a FZ16.

And the irony is, its the bullet riders who talked about "the pain, the anguish, the angst, the embarrassment, spoil sunday afternoons with visits to the garage."

@lurker: Its a good Classic, but quality is a suspect and that is the only problem.

If you have used a Bullet before, you will never think twice before buying another but then you need to know the Bullet Thing. I tried and never could make out, so gave up. There are many more who have.

PS: I service all my bikes myself. So yes i do spend weekends dirtying my hands but for a different set of reasons.
Old 16th October 2008, 15:26   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
lurker please dont buy a bullet.
It will ruin your life.
All your friends will change.
You will become good friends with your mechanic. Your friends will now be those dirty scoundrels who keep riding and riding long distances.

All the women in your life will curse you and make you feel guilty for wasting your time on this old piece of metal.

Every time the price of petrol goes up your office mates will mock you in the parking lots.

Your respect for truck drivers will increase.
you will search monster and timesjobs for any job positions that involve motorcycling long distances.

Save your self all that misery in store for you.

But,
when the horizon keeps teasing you in that light drizzle. the only sounds are the soft thuds filtering in from your helmet. A slight smile breaking on your face. People who look at you observe that you are not quite here but someplace far away.
and nothing absolutely nothing in this world matter anymore.

The bullet.

I dont know why but the last stanza from Wordsworth's Daffodils comes to mind.
Quote:
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
Old 16th October 2008, 15:27   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

And the irony is, its the bullet riders who talked about "the pain, the anguish, the angst, the embarrassment, spoil sunday afternoons with visits to the garage."

@lurker: Its a good Classic, but quality is a suspect and that is the only problem.

If you have used a Bullet before, you will never think twice before buying another but then you need to know the Bullet Thing. I tried and never could make out, so gave up. There are many more who have.

PS: I service all my bikes myself. So yes i do spend weekends dirtying my hands but for a different set of reasons.
@spitfire : I think you will never get the reason to buy the bullet. And as you yourself said, its a futile attempt for you to understand the bullet thing.

But just as additional info, bullet has been around for more than 50 years with almost only 2 models. They have done something right to survive.

Anyways, happy commuting.

Cheers
AC
Old 16th October 2008, 15:30   #104
Senior - BHPian

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

Amen
Old 16th October 2008, 15:37   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
@spitfire : I think you will never get the reason to buy the bullet. And as you yourself said, its a futile attempt for you to understand the bullet thing.

But just as additional info, bullet has been around for more than 50 years with almost only 2 models. They have done something right to survive.

Anyways, happy commuting.

Cheers
AC
@AC: Then tell me the reason? The search for the unknown excites me. Those of you who have been enlightened please do share it.

Some said buy a bullet and live with it - you will understand.

I did just that. First got a 99 Model Standard 350(used buy) - did not get it. The bike kept failing - replaced parts worth 35k for a bike which i got for 20K. No problems there because i wanted to know.

So i went back to the Bullet riders as you call them and seeked enlightment - they said you got a abused piece.

I said fine, got a fresh from the factory 350 Standard. Why 350 Standard you may ask? because i was told by the Bullet riders that this is the model that is the real Bullet(duh?). Ok. You are the expert here. My friend got a 500. And then another guy bought a T-Bird. I am from Goa, just so you know.

Same problems again. The oil seal on the front fork came off on my friends t bird, the oil dripped out and spoiled his springs. Oil leaking from the Std head - gasket replaced. All within the first 15-20 days.

The rest was like reliving the horrors of the 99 model Bullet i had earlier.

So we fortify us in the fact that they survived for 50 years with this substandard quality so we plonk down our hard owned money on it without asking any questions? duh? What do i say?

Last edited by Spitfire : 16th October 2008 at 15:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks