Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 17:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

There is a different logic here about launching different products in India and other countries.
I remember a few of my counter parts in the US and the UK were shocked to know that the RE/Bullet is available in India at such low prices. They mentioned that there it costs them nearly 3 times of what it is priced here.
I doubt there would be many takers here if the Bullet is priced so High. Say for example, the Machismo 500, currently at 1.27L. Would it sell in good numbers if it was 3Lakhs? Never. The models launched there are different and hence are differently priced as they know there are taker there for it at those prices.

Also, the emission norms are different there. India is still slightly liberal.
Old 8th October 2008, 17:57   #32
BHPian

The Classic website mentions it is slated to reach European showrooms in Jan 2009. If history is to be repeated, we Indians get it only late 2009 or early 2010 or even beyond.
Old 8th October 2008, 17:58   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Quite true If they say they are going fully classic, then they should bring back the classic controls. We can handle it.
Not a wise idea. And with their new engine and tranny it's almost impossible. Even true blue Brit bikes like Triumph have shifted to the universally accepted left side gear concept. Like Enfield old MV's, Duke's and some other makes used to come with right side gear shifts, and they all converted to left now.

Just imagine cars from Britain having throttle in the center position and clutch pedal on the right and brake on the left and cars from every other part of the world following the clutch left, brake center and throttle right pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
The Classic website mentions it is slated to reach European showrooms in Jan 2009. If history is to be repeated, we Indians get it only late 2009 or early 2010 or even beyond.
Hehehe.. good ol' RE

Last edited by Sankar : 8th October 2008 at 18:02.
Old 8th October 2008, 20:28   #34
kph
BHPian

One noticeable thing is that there is no start kicker seen in the picture. Also in features it says electric start. It will be interesting to see how long the starter lasts. We know how it is on LBs.
Old 8th October 2008, 20:34   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph View Post
One noticeable thing is that there is no start kicker seen in the picture. Also in features it says electric start. It will be interesting to see how long the starter lasts. We know how it is on LBs.
The difference is the new engine has an autodecompressor mechanism on the camshaft like other modern bikes. So no violent back kicks and engine ticks over nicely in low rpms the starter is capable of driving the engine. It's the back kick that spoils the sprag clutch starter mechanisms on LB500.
Old 8th October 2008, 21:20   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Not a wise idea. And with their new engine and tranny it's almost impossible. Even true blue Brit bikes like Triumph have shifted to the universally accepted left side gear concept. Like Enfield old MV's, Duke's and some other makes used to come with right side gear shifts, and they all converted to left now.
Agree that it is not a wise idea. However, I learnt to ride a bullet with its gear-shift on the right and brake on the left. I miss that.

Quote:
Just imagine cars from Britain having throttle in the center position and clutch pedal on the right and brake on the left and cars from every other part of the world following the clutch left, brake center and throttle right pattern
I wouldnt mind that. I wish I could get a ride on an Indian, with its quirky gear change systems.
Old 8th October 2008, 21:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

as a current bull rider, i must confess i feel like i am in love again. this is going to be my actual buy. price will really not make a difference to a real bull rider.

this is the bike to own.

absolute beauty. but i have heard from a member of the indiethumper group this will not be available till 2011 or 2010 :(

why re why ? give this to us. be fair to all the bull lovers here too.

am still sighing . . . can't get over the details. . . but only one grouse from me. from the point of an actual purist i would have preffered the brake to be where it is supposed to be : on the left and the gears on the right.

the air tank shape is lovely, the exhaust is wonderfull, wonderfull . . . dont have words to desribe.

cheers,
ac
Old 8th October 2008, 21:24   #38
BHPian

Excellent classic to own with the UCE engine and EFI, but one thing i still feel sad about is, RE still does not believe in Rear Discs and Fuel Tank with a capacity higher than 14 liters [it is very painfull to take a fuel brake every 400 to 500 kms on long trips specially when you dont trust every petrol pump in India]

Don't know how many of you have seen the RE New Zealand website
It has a good collection of classics, spares and accessories
Royal Enfield New Zealand - Royal Enfield NZ
Old 8th October 2008, 21:25   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing bike,i want to buy it. 10/10 for looks.
Old 9th October 2008, 21:51   #40
kph
BHPian

Quote:
The difference is the new engine has an autodecompressor mechanism on the camshaft like other modern bikes. So no violent back kicks and engine ticks over nicely in low rpms the starter is capable of driving the engine. It's the back kick that spoils the sprag clutch starter mechanisms on LB500.
That's cool.
The impact of kick backs is really hard on LBs.
Old 10th October 2008, 01:30   #41
Senior - BHPian

2 things I dont like.

The way the tailpipe curves down is somewhat feminine...it should just be straight and angled at 30 deg.

The round taillight is too bland. I've seen better jobs on aftermarket bulls. At least make it big like an RD.
Old 10th October 2008, 02:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi.k View Post
and Fuel Tank with a capacity higher than 14 liters [it is very painfull to take a fuel brake every 400 to 500 kms on long trips specially when you dont trust every petrol pump in India
Err - who would ride more than 400 kms on a bike without a break? Even on a really fast bike, 150km is about tops that I personally can do without a break (but I'm handicapped to an extent by my back). Assuming that normal people ride longer, you still wouldnt want to do more than 200-250 kms without a break - it isnt good for your back in the long term.
Old 10th October 2008, 03:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

beautiful.... utterly beautiful!
The best looking bullet of our times.
Old 10th October 2008, 06:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Err - who would ride more than 400 kms on a bike without a break? Even on a really fast bike, 150km is about tops that I personally can do without a break (but I'm handicapped to an extent by my back). Assuming that normal people ride longer, you still wouldnt want to do more than 200-250 kms without a break - it isnt good for your back in the long term.
Yes 200-250 kms would be the limit for most riders, especially on a Bullet. Unless one is aiming for the iron-butt or something.
Old 10th October 2008, 08:56   #45
BANNED

Yes 200 to 250 km is tops without a break! It's better to take a short break every two/three hours or so depending upon the traffic and road conditions.

A bigger fuel tank has nothing to do with taking breaks. But imo a bigger fuel tank is actually nice when one does cross country trips where he can fuel up at a seemingly good fuel station at a decent town or city and stretch that tank till he finds another decent fuel station in a well to do town or city. This way he doesn't have to depend on highway pumps which may sell adulterated fuel or may not have the required grade of fuel. (In case of modified bikes )

But then to offer a bigger tank as OE is not always good. Empty space in the fuel tank will promote corrosion and not many top up their tanks when they visit the fuel staion. As a factory accessory it makes sense for tourers.

Most Viewed