Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2008, 12:44   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayannilank View Post
congrats Ranjit for acquiring mean machine.
i can't understand one thing, how can yamaha ppl think to sell a bike without evn offering the test drive.
has anyone able to get hold of test drive in bangalore?
ranjit whats your opinion,as i am thinking of purchasing it.
Nayan, you can get a TD at Bangalore Wheels (Rajkumar Road, Rajajinagar). They were to start giving TDs from today onwards. Try your luck.
Old 30th October 2008, 15:00   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I can see a lot of R15 guys switching to this tire just for the fat look. Might need the wheel too.

Did you say "Revz". Is it a new tire?
I see a Nylogrip in one of your shots.
Mpower : That is the front one ! The rear one are named as MRF Revz the new tubeless radial !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Congrats ranjit on your purchase.
I do agree that the second set of pics actually does justice to the bike.

So are you comfortable with the display as i found it too bright for my taste.
Well the display is legible could have been made better but I got used to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Spot on buddy on that one. On my trips to the dealer - found around 2-3 R15 owners enquiring on the feasibility of changing to the FZ's rear wheels. But how easy would that be given the fact that the R15 has rear disc brakes?
I doubt whether they R15 can accommodate 140 /60-17 but make sure you investigate it very well before spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayannilank View Post
congrats Ranjit for acquiring mean machine.
i can't understand one thing, how can yamaha ppl think to sell a bike without evn offering the test drive.
has anyone able to get hold of test drive in bangalore?
ranjit whats your opinion,as i am thinking of purchasing it.
Thanks !! I forgot to say I was offered test drive twice !! If you ask me you should go for the bike right now its good. The engine is awesome but I find it less refined compared to Unicorn.
Don't expect very good fuel figures.
Old 30th October 2008, 15:46   #33
BHPian

Mods I am sorry I forgot to quote these questions and answer them, I apologise for my negligence the time lapsed for editing also

Quote:
Ranjith, the metallic finish of the silencer gets scratched easily - did you also face this?
Uday, my cousin who is a kid kept his leg on the silencer now its bruised a little with scratches visible clearly, it is true but how can we protect it maybe stick a cover just like lamination but the heat levels !!??

I find the bike's engine getting very hot. Now I understand why Yamaha where working on the fins and etc .. I am worried maybe there would be a overheating issue !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz!! Thats a real stunner you bought. I love it! Guess yamaha is on the right tracks after a long break in india.

Whats the headlamp bulb specs? Its got huge reflectors, is it running 55/60 bulbs?
Thanks a lot. The head lamps are actually 35W. They are illuminating the road ahead very well. In fact when I used it for the first night my dad asked me to switch it to low beams and when I turned the high beams the illumination is somewhere up in the sky and wasn't that well lit

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Wow!! The second set of pics look really awesome and highlight the prowess of the bike! Congrats on your purchase! Good gift for Diwali!!
Thanks I will surely mention about that in my future posts right now I think its too premature to say anything about it.

Uday : Are you following any particular speed limit say like 60kmph for the first 700 kms ? Throw some light when you come across any R15 owner who had changed his rear tyre.

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 30th October 2008 at 15:51.
Old 30th October 2008, 18:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
I find the bike's engine getting very hot. Now I understand why Yamaha where working on the fins and etc .. I am worried maybe there would be a overheating issue !!
Are you following any particular speed limit say like 60kmph for the first 700 kms? Throw some light when you come across any R15 owner who had changed his rear tyre.
As of now, I havent faced any engine overheating problems..kind of similar to my other bikes so havent worried about it anyways.

I have stuck to max 4500 rpm and so havent been going over 60kmph (gets to this speed in the 5th gear easily). The owners' manual says not to exceed 4500rpm in the 1st 500km and 6000rpm in the 1st 1000KM...

Will let you know if I come across any R15 owners who change their rear tyres to FZ.
Old 30th October 2008, 19:13   #35
BANNED

Quote:
In fact when I used it for the first night my dad asked me to switch it to low beams and when I turned the high beams the illumination is somewhere up in the sky and wasn't that well lit
WOW!! Guess someone had a bright first night.
Old 30th October 2008, 20:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spot on buddy on that one. On my trips to the dealer - found around 2-3 R15 owners enquiring on the feasibility of changing to the FZ's rear wheels. But how easy would that be given the fact that the R15 has rear disc brakes?
Ah, good point! I did't think of that.
Not only is it drum but its mechanical drum vs. hydraulic Disk. Major surgery required unless someone comes up with a same design rim that can take a 140 tire and disk brake.
Old 30th October 2008, 20:50   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
WOW!! Guess someone had a bright first night.
I didnt mean that metaphor actually

Uday : I am yet to collect my owners manual. Thanks for the info, I will stick to it. I guess I have gone past 4500 rpm already thrice but now onwards I will be careful.
When do you think is the apt time for the first service ? I am worried whether FZ's engine may become coarse after a 20000kms in the odo.

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 30th October 2008 at 21:01.
Old 30th October 2008, 21:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot. The head lamps are actually 35W. They are illuminating the road ahead very well. In fact when I used it for the first night my dad asked me to switch it to low beams and when I turned the high beams the illumination is somewhere up in the sky and wasn't that well lit
Don't worry about the overheating part because new engines will get hot and once the engine has completed it's run in period it will not overheat. It is due to the tighter tolerances between the moving components inside the engine. I experienced the same with my Karizma.

How is the beam pattern? Is the beam throw good? I am interested in the FZ headlamp assembly
Old 30th October 2008, 22:08   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar;1034678}
How is the beam pattern? Is the beam throw good? I am interested in the FZ headlamp assembly
that is good to hear bro, The headlamp throw is good and very well spread. Most them dont seem to like the headlamps. They seem to wish for the one's with dooms. The latest issue of Bike india (which you would have read already) tells that FZ's incorporate light weight headlights I wonder the thin lamps are specifically to focus the mass to the centre ha ha !!.

I would like to know some pointers for getting a very good run-in period.
Shall I go in for the first oil change at around 500kms itself (if possible suggest me a good brand). Thrice I have gone past 5000 rpms already . I thought the centrifugally cast block would be precision built so just tried some tactics until our fellow Bhpian Uday mentioned the rpm restriction given in the manual !!

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 30th October 2008 at 22:12. Reason: corrected a typo error.
Old 30th October 2008, 22:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to know some pointers for getting a very good run-in period.
Shall I go in for the first oil change at around 500kms itself (if possible suggest me a good brand). Thrice I have gone past 5000 rpms already . I thought the centrifugally cast block would be precision built so just tried some tactics until our fellow Bhpian Uday mentioned the rpm restriction given in the manual !!
When is the first service coming up? Karizma and RTR has them at 500kms, the oil is changed at the first service.

Second change is usually after 2000kms. But i would recommend you do the second oil change 1000kms after your first change. After that the next change can be done when you give the bike for second service. Use company recommended oil for the first three changes. You can go for better, costly oils after the bike has clocked some 4k to 5k on the odo.

There is nothing to worry if you have occasionally exceeded the running in RPM as specified in the manual. It's actually good to increase the revvs once in a while and bringing it back under the limit prescribed in the manual. After the running in is over don't go wide open throttle all of a sudden, take the engine to higher revs gradually.
Old 31st October 2008, 10:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Ah, good point! I did't think of that.
Not only is it drum but its mechanical drum vs. hydraulic Disk. Major surgery required unless someone comes up with a same design rim that can take a 140 tire and disk brake.
Forget the hungama of the rear brakes, the rear swingarm will have to be either cut spread wider to accommodate the 140 tyre. And with that the wonderful handling of the bike will down the drain!!!
Old 1st November 2008, 11:47   #42
BHPian

Hi I almost completed about 200 kms in my bike as of now.
Readers would be knowing that I have been continuously stating about the false neutral issue I feel the bike's neutral comes up every time I try to shift from first to second. The neutral light (indicator) almost blinks each and every time I up shift from the first. Is the case in the bike I never faced such a issue with Unicorn.

I feel the gear is a bit notchy. Will the things become better the first service?

I am happy about the bike in all other aspects.

I almost feel as if the FZ's gear moves from first to neutral and then to second all in one go. Is it ok ??
While downshifting the bike seems to go smooth its way to 1st from second with out the interference of the neutral.
I hope I was able to clearly communicate my point. Awaiting response eagerly. Thanks in advance
Old 1st November 2008, 20:14   #43
BHPian

My Yamaha Dealer recalled my bike today !!

It happened today I got a phone call around 1 pm. My dealer was on the line and asked me to bring my bike to the showroom. I went there puzzled, he informed me that Yamaha has asked to change the brake camshaft (yes that is what he said and he showed me the brake tag maybe he thought I dont know what a brake camshaft is or didnt want me to panic )
It seems that the bike has been fitted one with lesser thickness when manufactured and now with the new one refitted I don't see any change in the braking force maybe it was related to reliability issues.

I asked him to see the chain slackness in my bike ( I felt that could be the reason for the behavior of my gears) and he corrected the same. Now things are fine I had diagnosed the problem in my bike !! I guess I will stop moaning now about my gears

Uday : I am expecting news from you

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 1st November 2008 at 20:15. Reason: addition
Old 2nd November 2008, 17:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
My Yamaha Dealer recalled my bike today !!

Good grief..dont tell me. I havent got any calls from the dealer here. In fact I had been there this morning to collect some pending documents and he didnt say anything. If only I had read this earlier..Should I call them and check?

Nice to know that the gear shift issue is sorted out.

The 1st service is due in 30 days or 500KM whichever is earlier. (knowing you I think the 500KM would become due first :-)
Old 2nd November 2008, 19:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Good grief..dont tell me. I havent got any calls from the dealer here. In fact I had been there this morning to collect some pending documents and he didnt say anything. If only I had read this earlier..Should I call them and check?

Nice to know that the gear shift issue is sorted out.

The 1st service is due in 30 days or 500KM whichever is earlier. (knowing you I think the 500KM would become due first :-)
Uday I posted this immediately the same day night !! esp so that it would help other owners.

Here is the picture of the same, try to call back and enquire the regarding this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha FZ16 First Ownership report !!-011120081675.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks