Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 22:09   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
I have been riding my FZ for 15 months and 10,000 Kms now. I am very impressed with every aspect of it and did not face any major issues till a couple of monts back.

Just for background, i would like to mention that I had done proper run-in for the first 1000 Kms keeping it strictly under 3700 rpm in top gear (which would be ~50Kph). I normally drive at speeds between 55 and 60 on average roads and sometimes increase it to 70-72Kph on open stretches. I seldom cross the 5K rpm mark. I have done all services in time, changed engine oil as per schedule (i use Castrol PowerOne from second service) and oil filter changed during first and third services. I have been using the normal petrol from IndianOil from day one and have experimented a couple of times with shell. To put it in simple words, i have babied my bike and taken as much care of it as possible for me. The bike also returned the favour to me by allowing me to pull it to 123Kph when it was 3000 Km old, and also by returning a constant 40 -42 Kms to a litre.

The problem that i have been facing lately is lack of power. When I drive with a pillion (total weight of both persons ~ 125Kgs) i feel the pick up is very less in the low range. I really have to struggle to gain speed in the lower gears. This is affecting drivability a lot in heavy traffic conditions. And the most serious impact is, during climbing up slopes (that are not even very steep) or flyovers the bike gives up completely!!! I have to downshift to third gear or even to second to keep it rolling. This gets very disappointing especially when the splendours and passions that I had zipped past, before the accent, catch up and overtake with a wry smile.

If any one could suggest me as what could be the reason of such a problem and how to get it resolved it would be very helpful. Explaining a problem to the service centre people at Pearl Yamaha (Gachibowli) is always a mammoth task, since any problem, from any owner, is rejected by them as a psychological problem of the owner.

I am guessing that my clutch plate has been weared off and it has lost its grip on the flywheel of the engine resulting in the power loss. But, its a pity that something designed to last for a minimum 40K kms, has weared out in 10K kms only, inspite of such careful driving. (I take care that I am not slipping the clutch too much).

So please pour in your advices.

Clutch wear at 10k kms is impossibly unless you riding style is rough.

Mines done 17k kms and is pretty much great except for the chain which needs replacement.

If you feel there is a power loss, get your bike power tuned.

You can decarb the exhaust, spark plug and get a carb wash done.

And i feel the bike is pretty sluggish with a pillion.

I feel the FZ is designed for a single rider.
Old 5th May 2010, 23:16   #122
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
I seldom cross the 5K rpm mark. I have done all services in time, changed engine oil as per schedule (i use Castrol PowerOne from second service) and oil filter changed during first and third services. I have been using the normal petrol from IndianOil from day one and have experimented a couple of times with shell.

So please pour in your advices.
Is castrol powerone recommended ? using engine oils with additives might lead to clutch plate slipping and wear them off faster .
Old 6th May 2010, 05:03   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
Im sure u can.

The pic is of a modified FZ from the Ghost Riderz.

Its got a rear disc,
Those pics were posted by me, and No, they aren't done by Team-GrZ. I just posted it along with other GrZ customs project fz's. This one was locally done using a RTR front disc and belongs to a friend(Infact, all the fz's in those set of pics belongs to my friends).

If there is there any info I can provide you guys regarding the rear-disc installation, I can source it from the owner.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:10   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Clutch wear at 10k kms is impossibly unless you riding style is rough.

Mines done 17k kms and is pretty much great except for the chain which needs replacement.

If you feel there is a power loss, get your bike power tuned.

You can decarb the exhaust, spark plug and get a carb wash done.

And i feel the bike is pretty sluggish with a pillion.

I feel the FZ is designed for a single rider.
Thank you for the suggestions. Will get these done during the next service. But I am pretty scared to allow the service centre guys disturb the tuning. I have seen lots of other owners complaining that their mileage has dropped below 30 after their last service/tuning. Hunting for a good mechanic now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Is castrol powerone recommended ? using engine oils with additives might lead to clutch plate slipping and wear them off faster .
You may be having a good point here. I will try the mineral YamaLube and see if things improve.

I was of the impression that any engine oil of the viscosity grade recommended in the manual should not cause any issues.

However, I had heard that for the first couple of thousand of Kms, one should use mineral oil. Thats why i switched to powerone only after second service.

Yamaha recommends 20W40, whereas PowerOne is 10W40 (I guess). So the difference is only when the oil is cold. But I have not faced issues on cold starting or with pickup/power when engine is cold. Its a feeling of lack of torque while climbing slopes/flyovers.
Old 6th May 2010, 18:01   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Those pics were posted by me, and No, they aren't done by Team-GrZ. I just posted it along with other GrZ customs project fz's. This one was locally done using a RTR front disc and belongs to a friend(Infact, all the fz's in those set of pics belongs to my friends).

If there is there any info I can provide you guys regarding the rear-disc installation, I can source it from the owner.

Dint know that.

Got it from Orkut.

Im not interested in the discs, although the paint job is sick.

Thanks for the info.
Old 8th May 2010, 00:20   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone tried removing the rear fairing.

I tried it for a few day. Check em out.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
Dude, The lock mechanism of the seat is in the rear fairing. How did you manage to get rid of that ? And how did you operate the lock after getting it off ?
Old 9th May 2010, 15:43   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Dude, The lock mechanism of the seat is in the rear fairing. How did you manage to get rid of that ? And how did you operate the lock after getting it off ?
It was not an issue.

The seat lock mechanism was left exposed and all you needed was to push the lock mechanism to remove the seat. Not safe but it did look cool then.
Old 16th August 2011, 11:42   #128
BHPian

Fz Diy..

Some DIY for the FZ..
(from xbhp forum)

Yamaha fz16/fazer engine oil & oil filter change - Page 3 - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

Replace FZ(and others) Disk pads - Page 2 - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

Cleaning air filter of fz - Page 2 - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

Yamaha FZ inner sprocket change - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/do-yours...procket-2.html

Last edited by ariendj : 16th August 2011 at 11:56.
ariendj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 11:07   #129

Re: Saddlesore on Yamaha FZ16

Hi! I recently bought a Yamaha FZ16 2008 model. The rear tyre has been upgraded by the previous owner to Kings 140/70 R17 ...72H
Ride height has increased I assume by about 8-10mm and it is not very comfortable riding my height being 5 ft 5in. I do not want to change the tyre since it has only done 5500 kms. It definitely does not handle like it was meant to .... i miss my old rx100. Can anything be done to rectify? thanks in advance
Old 31st December 2014, 11:34   #130
BHPian

Re: Yamaha FZ16 First Ownership report !!

Hi Experts,

I could not find the answer I was looking for. So, pardon me if its repetitive. I need your help badly. I am looking for changing the following. I am based out of Bangalore :

- Both stock tyres. Have done approx 15K with 9 punctures combined. Is there a 150/70 option in RevZ MRF series? Else will go for 150/60 option.
- The electronic speedometer unit is broke. Need to replace the same. Price?
- All parts are perfect. Hence want to go for full body re-coloring. Price/ Possibility?

Have a long pending issue with Front handle bar. Sprint Yamaha dint fix it in the last 2 services. Planning to go to Vinayaka Yamaha, Domlur. Any other options around Whitefield?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks