Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2008, 09:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

I came to know that I cannot use 55/60W for my bike even if I am NOT running it from battery but rather from the current coil. Correct me if I am wrong.
But can I go ahead and just fit in 40/45W Halogen running from current coil ?
Old 1st November 2008, 09:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

On getting feedback from Sai I checked & found that in RTR the pass switch works even when engine is not running which means the high beam through pass switch is a direct connection.
Old 1st November 2008, 12:59   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

@technocrat: The capacity of the RTR alternator is much higher than the old apache. also the pass switch works with a relay. hope this helps.

@jaggu. The ignition is fed with DC current in RTR. When the coils are rewound there will change in magnetic flux, hence it can retard or advance the ignition depending on the change in magnetic flux. Hope this helps
Old 2nd November 2008, 18:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Yes I did hear the click sound of the relay.

So could you tell us how to get the Headlights & Speedo lights on DC?
Old 2nd November 2008, 23:23   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
@jaggu. The ignition is fed with DC current in RTR. When the coils are rewound there will change in magnetic flux, hence it can retard or advance the ignition depending on the change in magnetic flux. Hope this helps

Isnt' the pulser/starting coil left untouched while rewinding the coil for more lighting output? So how does it change the timing?
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:07   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Even though the pulser coil is not touched. The flux definitely varies causing minute advance/retardation of the ignition timing.

@Technocrat: I would any advise not touching the current setup, leave it as it is. Else you will have redesign the wiring to convert it to DC. I would say not worth the pain.
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

I doubt with digital ignition there will be an issue with timing change due to coil re-winding, flux doesnt change, its dependent on magnet, rather the current and voltage can change if not done properly. Cant confirm on a RTR since i dont have first hand experience.

Like Sankar pointed out the coil for ignition is an independent one in the bikes i have seen, can someone confirm from owners manual if the charging is AC or DC?

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd November 2008 at 12:44.

Most Viewed