Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 23:40   #1
BHPian

Building a classic drag bike

Hi guys.i normally dont post much in the bike section.I am rebuilding my royal enfield 500 drag bike.

I have started a blog which i will be updating reguarly. i thought it might be interesting for all the motor heads to see the bike as it progresses.

monster dog
Old 1st December 2008, 08:56   #2
BHPian

I have updated my blog monster dog
Things are just starting to get interesting, Check it out.
Old 31st December 2008, 08:50   #3
BHPian

my classic drag bike

An update on my 500cc based royal enfield drag bike "monster dog".

The bike is finaly on the road, and we are in the process of running the engine in.

I couldn't upload any pictures because of the size restraint,so you can check my blog monster dog
Old 31st December 2008, 10:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

amazing stuff there..

if u want a bettter start ..shift to discover's 17'' steel rims + good set of tyres .

what carb & filter are you using?

Shift to Motul 300 v fully synthetic oil and see the difference by your self

Last edited by v12 : 31st December 2008 at 11:43.
Old 31st December 2008, 10:23   #5
BHPian

Good one,

How fast does it Go.

125km in the third gear means it may cross 160km in the fifth.
Old 31st December 2008, 10:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Amazing
What mods she is running?
what are the quartermile?
0-60 and 0-100 figures?

Last but not the least how much power does she make?
Old 31st December 2008, 20:01   #7
BHPian

The bike is still in the break in stage so we are not riding it hard, and i would not like to talk about figures i dont have right now like the top speed and Hp, but i will have all the correct data by the 2oth of next month and i will post it then.

This is just the begining
Old 15th January 2009, 21:03   #8
BHPian

It's official! At 12 noon on the 14th of Jan 2009 on a test run to see how the Veypor functioned we clocked a 100mph or 161.8kmph on the veypor motorcycle computer.

The run started off slowly, i was'nt planning to open the throttle.I still had the stock speedo bolted on to see how inaccurate it is.I revved monster dog up past 3000rpm and suddenly decided to push the bike a little.The acceleration was instantanious and fast, before i knew it was blasting down the road. So used to the older albion 4 speed gearbox,i changed into 5th only after i began to slow down.

The run was fast but for the short distance and slow start i was not expecting the bike to hit a 100mph so easily.

I Dont have the correct cable to attach the veypor to my laptop and download the data as yet, so i have a screen shot of the data you can see it on my blog.

The future looks bright for monster dog
Old 16th January 2009, 15:10   #9
BHPian

Any info on the motor mods you've done,dude. Or is it a trade secret??
Nice Job you done there.
Bikram
Old 16th January 2009, 19:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good work man, 160 is really fast for a Bullet. I see you have used the 535 high comp piston What other goodies in there?

Why didn't you lighten up the bike - lighter fork assy for example, and thinner & lighter wheels, if it's going to be an all out drag bike?
Old 16th January 2009, 20:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

What exactly is your goal with this bike? You call it a drag bike but you are talking about a top speed run.

The gearing and sproketing requirements are different and conflicting for both. If you want top speed, you might want to build a fairing.
Old 19th January 2009, 21:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
What exactly is your goal with this bike? You call it a drag bike but you are talking about a top speed run.

It is a drag bike,who said that was the top speed?we are currently testing the bike the finished product would take another year.

The gearing and sproketing requirements are different and conflicting for both. If you want top speed, you might want to build a fairing.
I am building a unstreamlined bike, no fairing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Good work man, 160 is really fast for a Bullet. I see you have used the 535 high comp piston What other goodies in there?

Too many to list right now, some still only on my list, things will become clearer as i proceed

Why didn't you lighten up the bike - lighter fork assy for example, and thinner & lighter wheels, if it's going to be an all out drag bike?
I dont want to change the major components, my goal is to use as many royal enfield designed parts as possible.the bike should be easily recognisable.i will be lightening the bike further.

this is a long project these things tend to take time.
Old 19th January 2009, 23:05   #13

might be a OT, but I guess from ur chasis desings an all you can actually build a batpod.... btw the speed is really amazing
Old 20th January 2009, 00:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont want to change the major components, my goal is to use as many royal enfield designed parts as possible.the bike should be easily recognisable.i will be lightening the bike further.
Thats one of the major goals one must have when modifying/converting a bike. It brings more elegance, simplicity and style. Which is what we've always looked forward to in our cafe's.

Quote:
I completely agree on this one. When you're doing it the first time, it always takes time. And in the end, all you'll get to hear is "oh this is so simple to make". Its not just what you made, its how you made it.

Congratulations on your achievement to attain the ton!!

Last edited by Gordon : 20th January 2009 at 00:13.
Old 20th January 2009, 07:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post

Ok. For a landspeed bike stock doesn't hurt that much. But on a drag bike lighter definitely helps.

Bullet's identiy is manly split between two parts - 1) the engine, clutch, gb combo and 2) the casquette. Retaining any or both of these two components will preserve the identity of the machine. For a drag bike go light everywhere possible. Just my 2 paise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks