Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 08:21   #46
BHPian

If your engine is serviced on time ,decarbed ,oil pump etc checked at reasonable intervals the oe bush does it's job.

i think we are flogging so next topic )
Old 19th November 2008, 08:42   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Dude, i'm not here to prove anything. If someone ask something I advise based upon my experience and what i have come across. So if you have any Granpa stories that taught you something else then fine. When you say something like "it would've performed similar" i hope you must've compared OE with bronze. I say it wouldn't, because it didn't.

Phosphor Bronze
"Above Material Possesses Good Anti Friction Properties Combined with Plasticity & Suitable for Heavy Loaded applications being applied where Lubrication is doubtful."
Hey, you got me all wrong. Take the Grandpa story in a lighter vein, didn't mean to offend you. Seems like I don't know you yet, so I will stop comparing the OE to phosphor.

And from your link, yes maybe PB bush has it's virtues, after all.
Old 19th November 2008, 08:54   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Hey, you got me all wrong. Take the Grandpa story in a lighter vein, didn't mean to offend you. Seems like I don't know you yet, so I will stop comparing the OE to phosphor.

And from your link, yes maybe PB bush has it's virtues, after all.
No Kuttapa, i wasn't offended. But since you used a Granpa story i just included it that's all. See, we all have our opinions formed and based on our experiences, what i have experienced with OE bush is bad and PB was better that's only reason why i am a believer in PB. I'm not trying to prove OE is bad, your experience proves otherwise. OE will perform well and as it's supposed to if the lubrication part is perfect. If the lubrication is not perfect then PB has an advantage and it lasts longer that's all.
Old 20th November 2008, 04:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
No Kuttapa, i wasn't offended. But since you used a Granpa story i just included it that's all. See, we all have our opinions formed and based on our experiences, what i have experienced with OE bush is bad and PB was better that's only reason why i am a believer in PB. I'm not trying to prove OE is bad, your experience proves otherwise. OE will perform well and as it's supposed to if the lubrication part is perfect. If the lubrication is not perfect then PB has an advantage and it lasts longer that's all.
Ok Sir. Next time I land up in TVM we can run a test against OE to PB, by running two engines with not enough oil.Last man standing wins...What say?
Old 21st November 2008, 08:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

" floating bush" bronze or OEM one - Is that the thing you people are discussing? and what is finalized?
--
what is this Rockr Oil Path ?what does it do?
Old 21st November 2008, 10:01   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
" floating bush" bronze or OEM one - Is that the thing you people are discussing? and what is finalized?
Wait for the event given below

Quote:
Ok Sir. Next time I land up in TVM we can run a test against OE to PB, by running two engines with not enough oil.Last man standing wins...What say?
Rocker oil path is oil passage way that feeds the rockers. And there's an oil passage way inside the rocker block too.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

I think the mech has mentioned about etching a path between rockrs for better Oil Flow.Is there anything I can do with regard to Better and reliable Oil Pump ?
--
BTW ,today am supposed to give the Bike to mechanic.but he has got some other commitments.so ,will give this afternoon ,if possible.
But ,before that I will try to take some pictures of the different parts I bought .
Old 21st November 2008, 14:56   #53
Senior - BHPian

some snaps :

My BB connection got some problem.still trying to attach some pics I shot.
Adjustable cam spindles ,Cam Gears ,different gaskets are shown.
Any recommendations? Oh! By the way ,I forgot to buy "side washers - 4 no.s" that I hope to buy tomorrow.
and haha! I am very poor in pic shooting skills and very impatient too.so ,some pics looks like it is from SUN.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Bullet:Cam gear backlash and solutions including adjustable cam spindles-img_1211.jpg  

Enfield Bullet:Cam gear backlash and solutions including adjustable cam spindles-img_1212.jpg  

Enfield Bullet:Cam gear backlash and solutions including adjustable cam spindles-img_1213.jpg  

Enfield Bullet:Cam gear backlash and solutions including adjustable cam spindles-img_1214.jpg  

Enfield Bullet:Cam gear backlash and solutions including adjustable cam spindles-img_1215.jpg  

Enfield Bullet:Cam gear backlash and solutions including adjustable cam spindles-img_1218.jpg  

Enfield Bullet:Cam gear backlash and solutions including adjustable cam spindles-img_1216.jpg  

Enfield Bullet:Cam gear backlash and solutions including adjustable cam spindles-img_1217.jpg  

Last edited by deepclutch : 21st November 2008 at 15:09.
Old 22nd November 2008, 04:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Ah I see that you got the new type of head gasket. Sankar, does this have an asbestos layer in between? Or is it a normal gasket? What makes it better?
Old 22nd November 2008, 05:21   #55
Senior - BHPian

I thought that you had a brand new bullet i would fail to under stand what makes you buy new timming pinnions.?
Old 22nd November 2008, 08:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

My bullet is 2005 model.I am going for new cam since the adjustable spindles setup asks for that!
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bullet is 2005 model.I am going for new cam since the adjustable spindles setup asks for that!
hahaha you are just too much Prakash. any ways i would say if some thing is working fine specially on the bullet do not fiddle too much :P this was tought to me by my STD 350 though my Electra takes every thing given to it.
Old 22nd November 2008, 10:15   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Ah I see that you got the new type of head gasket. Sankar, does this have an asbestos layer in between? Or is it a normal gasket? What makes it better?
The material is of a different type (old is double layered copper with asbestos kind of sandwich), looks and feels like the material modern head gaskets are made of. This is also a multi layered gasket with an aluminium sheet in the middle which is sandwiched between asbestos like material and topped up with the black layer. The layers are pretty tighlty packed compared to old type gaskets. This gasket almost completely solves the oil leaking issues. The red circles on the gasket is a silicone kind of material which seals off the pushrod pipes. Silicone circle idea isn't new, many have been doing it on ordinary copper gaskets and is quite effective.

Gasketing a CI350/500 head is not an easy job if it's to be done perfectly. Many think that it's the gasket that hold the compression pressure, but it's not entirely true. Majority of the sealing has to be done by the spigot of the cylinder that goes into the combustion chamber and forms a seal with the head.
Old 22nd November 2008, 12:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

@desideep:let us see! just want to experiment for the betterment of bull? the leak through gasket sometimes can be fixed by polishing the outer surface of the cylinder and head;something like slight grinding so that both the faces pack perfectly!
-- I am posting from my mobile.will contain typos
Old 23rd November 2008, 05:41   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@desideep:let us see! just want to experiment for the betterment of bull? the leak through gasket sometimes can be fixed by polishing the outer surface of the cylinder and head;something like slight grinding so that both the faces pack perfectly!
-- I am posting from my mobile.will contain typos
BINGO !! No gasket can fix leaks if the surfaces are too much out of true(read uneven) and do not mate to each other. I had this problem with my 500, blew umpteen head gaskets, before I got the surfaces polished to even.

Old school mechs shun silicone though, so I had to apply silicone sealant after a service to the leak prone areas.

Most Viewed