Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2008, 03:53   #1
BHPian

Avenger 200 running-in queries?

I think I screwed up. When I got mine (Saturday), the probiking service center sold me on the Nano lube additive (fills in valleys in the cylinder walls, prevents carbon deposit, good for mileage and engine health etc). So the chap goes ahead and pours it into the oil.
Took a little while for my thick head to realise that the entire point of running-in/breaking-in the engine is to have it work out all the microscopic irregularities on its own.

Q1: Should I go ahead and change the oil?

Q2: The mechanic said a max speed of 55kmph. The service manual says max 65kmph. Because of the additive, you think if I run it at 70-75 kmph (varying the load on the engine, of course), the running-in will happen properly?
Old 11th November 2008, 20:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you added a friction modifier to the engine oil during running in period, i think the break-in process would not be proper, or would take longer than it should otherwise. So imo you should completely drain the oil, clean/replace any filters if present and refill with new oil.

Stick with the service manual recommended speeds and RPMs during break in process. Either listen to service manual or completely go by what this website says Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Fyi I follow and followed the mototune break in method for my new Karizma and i'm quite happy with it's performance and fuel efficiency.

Change the engine oil anyways.
Old 11th November 2008, 22:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

motoman's one?There are two sides regarding that!
Old 11th November 2008, 23:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yep i know. I'm a believer though, i have had good results with it on my Karizma and with my Bullet.
Old 11th November 2008, 23:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

As Sankar pointed out, change the oil. And dont go to 60-70-75kmph after adding the additive.

Moderately warm up the engine ( not after coming off a 10 km ride, but just warm up or slightly higher than warm temperature ).
Drain the oil. Keep the drain hole open for 20 mins or so to let as much oil drain out as possible.
Take some air pump i.e. the manual pump to fill air in bicycle tyres and keeping the oil drain hole open, pump in air from engine oil filling opening. This will remove most of the oil that has not come out till now.
Then put in new oil.

Also IMHO, the additive mixed oil wont be 100% out, so after you put in new oil, change it after 700-800kms.
Old 12th November 2008, 00:24   #6
BHPian

I am well past the first 20 miles. Does this mean I shouldn't follow the motoman guide? I have been pushing it hard, but in short bursts.
Old 12th November 2008, 09:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun.r View Post
I have been pushing it hard, but in short bursts.
This is good enough, take the engine through the heat and stress cycles but don't hold the RPM at the extreme for too long. After a high speed burst, ride slow for a while before coming to a complete halt.

Change the engine oil
Old 12th November 2008, 22:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This is good enough, take the engine through the heat and stress cycles but don't hold the RPM at the extreme for too long. After a high speed burst, ride slow for a while before coming to a complete halt.

Change the engine oil
Damn! At the rate I'm going, I'll end up finishing 500 km before the weekend.
Guess I'll get it done at the first free servicing. Dont have any time before that.
Old 13th November 2008, 22:20   #9
BHPian

NanoEnergizer! Thats the additive being exclusively sold at Bagga Link, Karol Bagh, Delhi.
read it up on the net and it seems the product is sold on a MLM scheme or something. Anyways, most people seem to discount that it is actually effective even though it is EPA certified.

I bloody well hope that it doesn't work...
Old 13th November 2008, 22:23   #10
BHPian

NanoEnergizer! Thats the additive being exclusively sold at Bagga Link, Karol Bagh, Delhi.
read it up on the net and it seems the product is sold on a MLM scheme or something. Anyways, most people seem to discount that it is actually effective even though it is EPA certified.

I bloody well hope that it doesn't work...
Old 15th November 2008, 00:16   #11
BHPian

Well I don't have the links with me , but I came across a few studies or debunking articles on engine oil additives which stated most of this is eyewash and the additives add no perceptible improvement . Especially the ones claiming advantages due to teflon .
Some manufacturers ( for cars ) do recommen certain additives like Nulon though.
Old 17th November 2008, 19:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Well I don't have the links with me , but I came across a few studies or debunking articles on engine oil additives which stated most of this is eyewash and the additives add no perceptible improvement . Especially the ones claiming advantages due to teflon .
Some manufacturers ( for cars ) do recommen certain additives like Nulon though.
I also came across an article, but it stated that the money spent on the additive was equal to the money saved on mileage due to it. So there was no perceptible gain from these additives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks