Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 09:24   #31
BHPian

Karizma final drive upgrade question

Hi folks,

I just got back from a 1600 km trip (Hyderabad to Cochin + in and around Kerala) on my Karizma. Happy to report that she is still in one piece and shaping up pretty well. As I was getting to know the bike better on the long trip, I made a mental note to check into options to replace/upgrade the final drive.

Observations:
1. I notice the chain is a bit noisy. Yes, it is regularly cleaned and lubed appropriately. Could it be the sprocket itself that is noisy?
2. The chain is a little grabby. There is a bit of jerkiness and drive lash that I don't see on the Bajaj's which seem to be smoother. Yes, the chain tension has been checked and is within spec. This is my first chain drive, so it could be that I am still getting used to the jerks.
3. There is some play in the rear sprocket. When on the maintenance stand and back wheel off the ground with bike in gear, I am able to move the sprocket back and forth just a little bit. I changed out the rubber bushes that sit in the hub of the back wheel but there is still some play. The tech said that is normal and didn't want to dig into it.

Questions:
1. I am assuming the Karizma doesn't have an O-ring chain. Does it help to get one fitted? Are there any compatible chains one would recommend? Price?
2. Are there common sprocket alternatives that would be better? Such as dropping or gaining teeth?

I am not interested in gaining power. I just want a smoother ride with less maintenance if possible. Thanks again for all your suggestions!
Old 8th January 2009, 09:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Replies are in bold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Hi folks,

I just got back from a 1600 km trip (Hyderabad to Cochin + in and around Kerala) on my Karizma.

Post the photos please

Happy to report that she is still in one piece and shaping up pretty well. As I was getting to know the bike better on the long trip, I made a mental note to check into options to replace/upgrade the final drive.

Observations:
1. I notice the chain is a bit noisy. Yes, it is regularly cleaned and lubed appropriately. Could it be the sprocket itself that is noisy?

Yep it is. But after lubing it the noise seems to reduce but still does not go away. I might try the Pulsar 200's O-ring chain to see if the problem is alleviates.

2. The chain is a little grabby. There is a bit of jerkiness and drive lash that I don't see on the Bajaj's which seem to be smoother. Yes, the chain tension has been checked and is within spec. This is my first chain drive, so it could be that I am still getting used to the jerks.

It's a bit grabby if not properly adjusted. Adjusting it properly takes some patience and a technique. If adjusted the usual way the wheel would move a bit back while the right side axle nut is being tightened. I do my own chain adjustments now and the chain is happy.

3. There is some play in the rear sprocket. When on the maintenance stand and back wheel off the ground with bike in gear, I am able to move the sprocket back and forth just a little bit. I changed out the rubber bushes that sit in the hub of the back wheel but there is still some play. The tech said that is normal and didn't want to dig into it.

There is no play in the rear sprocket of my bike. If the sprocket moves then the sprocket bearing might be bust.

Questions:
1. I am assuming the Karizma doesn't have an O-ring chain. Does it help to get one fitted? Are there any compatible chains one would recommend? Price?

It should. Pulsar 200/220 o-ring chains are suitable, as i'm told. When i enquired the cahin is not available separately it comes with sprocket kit.

2. Are there common sprocket alternatives that would be better? Such as dropping or gaining teeth?

Again as i'm told, Pulsar 200 with 38teeth and 220 with 37teeth.

I am not interested in gaining power. I just want a smoother ride with less maintenance if possible. Thanks again for all your suggestions!
You're welcome!
Old 8th January 2009, 11:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Plus the fact that the pre 2000 exhaust is for some 2000 bucks and the post 2000 is for 6000.its a no brainer to buy the newer exhausts.
also the newer exhaust has CAT inside which also restricts the exhaust gases.
Old 8th January 2009, 12:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Are the pre 2000 CBZ exhausts available now?
Old 8th January 2009, 12:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Are the pre 2000 CBZ exhausts available now?
Yes, I was quoted 2900. Is it a straight bolt on or do we need to mess around with it to make it fit?
Old 8th January 2009, 14:14   #36
BANNED

I paid 18XX around 3 years back.I think its direct fit for ZMA, Navpreet had done long back.
Old 8th January 2009, 14:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Yes, I was quoted 2900. Is it a straight bolt on or do we need to mess around with it to make it fit?
Yes it is.

Is it available now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
I paid 18XX around 3 years back.I think its direct fit for ZMA, Navpreet had done long back.
What about now.. any idea?
Old 8th January 2009, 17:12   #38
BHPian

By request, here is a full ride report. I keep my motorcycle diaries on F650.com, the BMW forum of choice. Here is a link.

The Chain Gang • View topic - My quest for land's edge
Old 8th January 2009, 23:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post

Oh yes i did it back in 2003.lol.good memories of trying to extract the max out of that bike.i guess ajay you remember it from the RDD forum.

The bike's still running good.now its also got a kari head along with the other swaped parts.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:23   #40
BANNED

Have to check Sankar, will let you know after this weekends.
You are right Navpreet as that time even i was following to get max out from my CBZ.
Old 9th January 2009, 20:15   #41
BHPian

Search at your local junkyard man. U can pick them for peanuts.
Easist way to identify them is the tail pipe will have some 25-26mm exhaust hole. The normal ones are much smaller. Check if the dealers can help you get an old one from their stocks.
The exhaust is a direct bolt-on.
Old 9th January 2009, 20:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
The bike's still running good.now its also got a kari head .
If you using the Kari head on the CBZ, with the CBZ piston you'll loose compression. CBZ head with a Karizma piston is more sensible. The volume of the combustion chamber of the CBZ head is lesser than the Kari head. However the valves sizes and ports are ditto.

Joel
Old 11th January 2009, 22:36   #43
BHPian

hi will CBZ or ZMA Exhaust Fit directly to Unicorn without any mods?
Old 12th January 2009, 16:28   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerama View Post
hi will CBZ or ZMA Exhaust Fit directly to Unicorn without any mods?
And why do you want to do that?
Old 12th January 2009, 21:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Joel its a long long story.
to put it short,i have been running cbz head with kari cylinder and pistons and crankshaft and connecting rod.And every thing has been taken care of.all the mods done to various parts for a complete cohesion of the different parts.

Now the problem faced was knocking.bad knocking.due to this knocking i got scratches in the clinder walls as the piston was rotating and scratching the walls.i have changed 2 kari cylinder piston kits because of this.

finally now i bought the kari head.shaved it by 1 mm and plonked it on.
you're right all the rest of the parts were the same in both the bikes.

i had been doing this research in 2003 using the kari and cbz parts list catalogs and comparing the part numbers.most of the part numbers were same.this is the way i came to know about the similarities of the two bikes.And did this mod.

the bike's got good acceleration but looses out on sheer topend because of the timing limitations as well as fueling limitations.I used the 30mm Mukini carb used in the original bajaj eliminators which were jap imports and not made in india ones.
but because of my limited knowledge i could never get the jetting right throughout the rev range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks