Team-BHP - Hyderabad:Need Suggestions on various Mods for Karizma
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Hyderabad:Need Suggestions on various Mods for Karizma (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/49663-hyderabad-need-suggestions-various-mods-karizma.html)

Folks, I am trying to get a hold of the after market color matched fairing kit or "belly pan" kit that was made for the Karizma. I was referred to Prakash Kunte at Fibrimo but after 5 phone calls and 2 weeks of following-up, Prakash is just dicking around and no longer seems interested in making the kit. Completely unprofessional behavior.

Are there any other manufacturers/dealers? I am not interested in the CBR kit or any other over engineered solution. I only need the ~3500 belly pan kit. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

The tech at the local dealership just called and said he is not able to fit the 130 tire I bought for him on my Karizma. He said he already took the chain guard off, but no luck.

Just wanted to check if anyone has done so and if there are any tweaks that need to be done to make it fit.

This is one of the most common mods.

All you need to do is remove chain cover and in some cases you need to play around with swing Arm?

whats the profile on the tyre?

130/70/18 goes easily in a zma.

Its a 130-80-18. MRF Zapper Y. He didn't mount it on the wheel, but just tried placing the tire in place and it was too big. Chain was rubbing on the left side and the swingarm on the right. Ill try to get it checked out at another tech.

Lots of guys have put the mrf 130/80-18 zapper y at karizma s rear without any issues. As Akshay said only the chain guard had to be removed. Any difference in the swingarm of the new Zma R?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus (Post 1088186)
Lots of guys have put the mrf 130/80-18 zapper y at karizma s rear without any issues. As Akshay said only the chain guard had to be removed. Any difference in the swingarm of the new Zma R?

I took it in to another local dealership today, but just eyeballing the clearances on either side, its not going to happen. There is a metal clamp that goes to the back rear drum that is reducing clearances even further on the right side. The chain rubs on the left.

I wouldn't be surprised if they modified the swingarm on the newer models to accommodate tire upgrades. Manufacturers world over tend to do that after the first lot of customers bitch about aftermarket compatibility.

Sigh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxaarraa (Post 1088208)
I wouldn't be surprised if they modified the swingarm on the newer models to accommodate tire upgrades. Manufacturers world over tend to do that after the first lot of customers bitch about aftermarket compatibility.

Sigh.

There's no modification to the swingarm of the new R model. As you said the clearances are rather tight on either sides. Even with a 110/90 18 tyre there wasn't much space left on either sides.

Btw what's the profile of the 130 tyre you're trying?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 1088330)
There's no modification to the swingarm of the new R model. As you said the clearances are rather tight on either sides. Even with a 110/90 18 tyre there wasn't much space left on either sides.

Btw what's the profile of the 130 tyre you're trying?

Its an MRF Zapper Y 130-80-18. Definitely not low profile. The clearance limitation is more of a width issue than profile I think. The wheel well itself is pretty roomy, only the swingarm isn't wide enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxaarraa (Post 1088338)
Its an MRF Zapper Y 130-80-18. Definitely not low profile. The clearance limitation is more of a width issue than profile I think. The wheel well itself is pretty roomy, only the swingarm isn't wide enough.

Yes it's a width issue rather than profile but as you know the gap between swingarm legs is not same throughout the length of the swing arm. A tyre with higher profile and same width may not fit, but a tyre with same width and lower profile may fit. Karizma rim is not too wide, putting anything over 120 may distort the intended shape of the tread section.

Anything above 110/90 * 18 will scrape the linkage rod placed between the brake drum and swingarm as pionted in the pic with a red arrow mark, the only option is to bend it which i would not advice, the tyre seen in the pic is 120/80 * 18 inspite of cutting the chain cover from inside the link rod was still scraping to the tyre even after placing some washers the results was same, and moreover i was loosing performance and mileage so sold the tyre to a very good friend of mine who owns an RD.

Folks, it can and has been done. The trick was to do what parjeep suggested: use spacers to push out the rear drum support. Here is the final result - also in the frame is my beemer.

Thanks for all your inputs. I have more projects lined up for next week, I'll keep ya'll posted.

So that s how it is done! But I pity the pillion!

You mentioned that you checked the clearance without actaully fitting the tyre on the alloy. You will discover that the tyre loses much of its girth once fitted on the rim beacuse the Karizma has one of the thinnest rims in the business. Its a bit of a hassle to fit the tyre in but once its in IT's IN. You'll have to do a lot of "jugaad" if you have to fix a puncture.
1. Ride height will be increased as the stock tyre wall is 90mm whereas the tyre you have fitted is 109mm.
2. Rolling mass of the tyre will give the feeling of increased acceleration in lower gears.
3.Efficiency may or may not take a major hit depending on how you ride.
4. You will loose out on top end because your bike will not rev beyond 7000-7200 rpm in 5th gear.
5.MRF tyres (excluding the R15) are usually hard compound and have a lot of extra rubber on them thus making them heavier by a large margin than similar sized tyres. Cant be too sure of the new Zappers though.
6.My advice stay stock, longetivity of the parts concerned will be increased.

While shopping for a new set of clutch plates, I was told that a CBZ extreme set is compatible on the Karizma. The CBZ set was 300 rupees and the near identical Karizma set was 1600. To play it safe, I went with the ones "made for the Karizma" but it got me thinking.

The whistling noise my Karizma makes on the overrun or letting the throttle go after acceleration can apparantly not be fixed. I was quoted ~6000 rupees for a new exhaust. I understand the basics of what an exhaust does with regard to back pressure and acting as a resonator and I also know the Karizma exhaust is probably tuned to go with the carb set up on the bike.

But, I am not paying 6k for a new can, seems like such a waste. Thats enough gas money for a trip around India! Will the CBZ exhaust fit? What other compatible exhausts are available? I am not interested in any aftermarket "performance" exhausts that add a lot of noise. I want to go with a factory option, preferably a lot cheaper than 6 grand. Suggestions?

Thanks as always!

well the cbz exhaust is compatible with the karizma as i haev been using it on my bike.

also as a tip remember to ask the guy to give you a pre 2000 exhaust for the cbz.its the one which came originally when the cbz was launched and has a bigger end hole.

this one is for Rs.2000 only as i last bought from them.the newer cbz exhaust is again for Rs.5000.the price increase is primarily because of the CATCON in the newer cbz and karizma.

also i have seen better throttle response in the older exhaust compared to the newer one.

regarding parts compatibility go to a hero honda spares reseller and ask him for the exploded view catalog.just to see.locate what you want in both cbz and kari catalogs and check their part numbers.i have seen a lot of same part numbers.and they are exactly the same components.perfect match.

for example the brake discs.i'm talking here about the super splendour and the cbz.part numbers for both of them is the same.the manufacturer is tata.splendour one is for Rs.1200 and the cbz Rs.5000.even thickness is the same.measured by a vernier caliper.its a money making excercise by HH.