Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2008, 06:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

^TDC - Top Dead Centre I think ,kuttappan meant press de-compression lever and give a kick before leaving your bike for next day.this will bring TDC position.
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
^TDC - Top Dead Centre I think ,kuttappan meant press de-compression lever and give a kick before leaving your bike for next day.this will bring TDC position.
You know what? the decompression lever is there for convenience. With a little bit of technique, you can do away with using it at all.
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Desideep
Also make sure your bike is facing east when you are starting in the morning and your backside is facing south. These are some of the tips that only a long term Bulleteer can give you. If east doesn't work for you try the other directions also one by one.
If all this fails I will give you a secret mantra to chant when you kick. But that's to be used in extreme cases.
All the best buddy
Sudipto
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Desideep
Also make sure your bike is facing east when you are starting in the morning and your backside is facing south. These are some of the tips that only a long term Bulleteer can give you. If east doesn't work for you try the other directions also one by one.
If all this fails I will give you a secret mantra to chant when you kick. But that's to be used in extreme cases.
All the best buddy
Sudipto
haha that was damn funny.

anyways i guess i need practice so that me too can start my bullet in first or second kick in cold mornings.

You guys are very helpful. I would like to share one document about starting an Enfield, with all of you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf starting_the_enfield.pdf (50.1 KB, 1864 views)
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrage911 View Post
You guys are very helpful. I would like to share one document about starting an Enfield, with all of you.
This is the way is get hear roaring in the morning, without the switching on the ignition, decompress her, give her light 2 / 3 half kicks. Then switch her one, dcomp her and in once soft kick she comes alive

cheers
AC
Old 4th December 2008, 00:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Desideep
All the best buddy
Sudipto
Thanks a lot for the reply Sudipo. i would certainly go and try the same tomorrow may be my bike may not even need a kick to start any more after you give me the SECRET MANTRA. you never know at the end of the day people say Bangali black magic thingi does work.

But for sure the way i have been starting it is way better than reading some PDF files and i dont think that Starting a bullet is that big of a deal or its rocket science. sorry but no offence ment to no one.

Last edited by desideep : 4th December 2008 at 00:13.
Old 4th December 2008, 01:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
You know what? the decompression lever is there for convenience. With a little bit of technique, you can do away with using it at all.
guess what?I almost never use decompression lever to start!.
Only I use it on the first start of the day(few free kicks with decomp on).

I dont feel it tough to kickstart bullet these days.ofcourse ,back kicks sure comes.
Old 4th December 2008, 07:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Mine didn't have a decompresssion lever or the decomp valve
Old 4th December 2008, 07:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply Sudipo. i would certainly go and try the same tomorrow may be my bike may not even need a kick to start any more after you give me the SECRET MANTRA. you never know at the end of the day people say Bangali black magic thingi does work.

But for sure the way i have been starting it is way better than reading some PDF files and i dont think that Starting a bullet is that big of a deal or its rocket science. sorry but no offence ment to no one.
On a serious note - if you know the precise way and your bike is well tuned you can start a Bullet with your hand. I have not done it yet but I intend to teach my daughter how to start when she turns 6 next year.
Old 4th December 2008, 07:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a serious note - if you know the precise way and your bike is well tuned you can start a Bullet with your hand. I have not done it yet but I intend to teach my daughter how to start when she turns 6 next year.
What's the big deal about starting a bike with your hand?
Nowadays you can start a bike with only a finger. I am sure even a one year old would be able to do it.
Old 4th December 2008, 09:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

I was talking about using the kickstarter of a Bullet with the hand. It's not easy to do it on a bike. If you have never started a bike with your foot on a kick starter you may not understand. Sorry I didn't realise that these days most boys use their fingers to start their bikes. I am really growing old.
Old 4th December 2008, 09:50   #27
Team-BHP Support

With a well tuned bike and some stupid guts its quite possible to start a RE by pushing the kick starter down with the hand.

My friend left a couple of very confused colleagues when he gave them a demo of the same at his office parking lot.

I have also seen some people literally standing on the kick starter as they had no idea of compression and stuff.

Personally I love the kick start routine for an RE.
I use the decomp lever every time I start my tb.
Old 4th December 2008, 10:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

any other big motorcycles with kickstart you guys tried kickstarting?as in HD or any old classics ?How tough was it?
--
meanwhile p180 I had was got good back kicks often.but being 108kg helps
Old 4th December 2008, 10:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was talking about using the kickstarter of a Bullet with the hand. It's not easy to do it on a bike. If you have never started a bike with your foot on a kick starter you may not understand. Sorry I didn't realise that these days most boys use their fingers to start their bikes. I am really growing old.
Oh I see. Should one need to face east when using one's hand on the kick starter?
Yeah one can indeed use one's legs to press the starter button of the new gen bikes if need be. But then it would look weird

Starting the Bullet with hand is no macho thing neither does it prove the pinnacle of engine tune. Any properly maintained Bullet with a slightly retarded ignition timing and correctly set point gaps can acheive this, these two are not that difficult to set either. And it's called a 'kick starter' for a reason.

Btw my Bullet had a high compression (not the sissy 6.5:1) engine and it neither had a decompressor nor an electric starter.
Old 4th December 2008, 10:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
desideep, i am new to bullet and i dont want to mis-behave(as most do when they dont know the proper technique) with her as i love her, thats why i am reading pdfs and taking help from u guys.
i just want to understand her and know the proper technique and thats the way i will be able to take care of my bullet. i know ur perfect and you dont need to read pdfs. No offences meant to any one.

thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks