Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 23:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Whoa LML? Whither LML?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Long back i had a LML Star in Off white color with matching beige seats, mats and other plastics. It was a wonderful scooter. The only trouble i had was frequent clutch wire breakage. It had better looks, build and performance than the Bajaj Scooters. Will find some pics to post here.

@Desideep: Waiting for the pics and other details.
The STAR was a beautiful scooter i always wanted one on the LIGHT BLUE color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
It looks very much similar to the standard NV. Just some additions of chrome parts like chrome mirrors, front and rear carriers, chrome badging and chromed grab handle at the rear. Plus clear lens indicators and front n rear lamps.
Regards.
Thats true about the Scooter.

and about the Star there was a major difference that it had a REED VALVE.

----------------------

About todays RIDE on thenew NV LS. this is what they are calling it.

the scooter just feeles like a Normal LML NV. the version that i rode was a 2 STROKE. the scooter felt bit strugling initially. but it had good torque. for example. just like the old ones the Scooter pulled well from a speed of 15 in the 3rd gear. the Scooter still did not have many KM on board so did not pull it. i think the demo model that i rode was still to be tuned. The disk brake is quite responsive, but i think that the old DRUM also did a good job on the NV. i am sure that the DISK does help a lot in the looks and better braking. but me being a NOVICE i did not notice much a difference. one thing noticed was that the New NV has a lot better suspension compared to any other scooter in the market. even better than the AVIATOR and the ACCESS. the suspension is soft and it glides over the patholes. and i can tell cause i have been riding around an SUZUKI ACCESS in bathinda for two days.

this is all from me... sorry no photos.

will get by the end of themonth. but i am sure there would be some one who would post a lot more detail by then,

Thanks
Amber
Old 16th January 2011, 18:36   #62
Senior - BHPian

LML Vespa ALFA

An ALFA was the beginning for LML.The first essai in the Indian market and it was direct competition to Bajaj Chetak.
It had 6 Volt electricity supply (hence the later LML NV was released-NV standing for NEW VOLTAGE : 12 V).
Alfa had a side dicky like the chetak,no indicators in the front or rear,but a robust engine and Chetak styled split seats.
Today I became owner of a pristine 1984 LML Alfa,which has done just 14000 kms under a single owner.Even the spare Minda igintion key is unused and gleaming.The militarty green is the original paint on this ALFA.
Restoration begins tomorow.Please suggest some nice colours.
Keep smiling and Riding.
Attached Thumbnails
Whoa LML? Whither LML?-dsc00008.jpg  

Last edited by hillram : 16th January 2011 at 18:37.
Old 26th January 2011, 15:57   #63

nice find hillram!

may i suggest to keep the same colour as close to the original? or even leave the original paint on?
Old 26th January 2011, 16:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4v3 View Post
nice find hillram!

may i suggest to keep the same colour as close to the original? or even leave the original paint on?
Thanks.I will be getting a different colour that i just spotted in Paris.
Old 26th January 2011, 17:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

HI MR. HILLRAM.

i am fan of most of the vehicles that you have but no ofence the paint quality may be good but not the paint schemes
Old 26th January 2011, 19:51   #66

The picture shows a similar scooter, does anyone know which model it is?

By looking at the missing indicators and headset I'm guessing it is also an early example not mentioned alot, a "Vespa 150" made by LML? Note the nose has an extra light?

LML Vespa 100 XE
LML Vespa 150
LML Vespa 150 DZ
LML Vespa 150 Alfa
LML Vespa 150 NV / NV Trident
LML Vespa 150 T5
LML Vespa NV SPL
LML Vespa T5 SPL
LML Vespa 200 T5 ES
LML Vespa 150 Smart
LML Vespa Select

LML Supremo
LML Select II
LML Sensation
LML Star
LML Trendy
LML Star Deluxe
LML Star Xpress
LML Prithvi
LML Pulse
LML Clipper (?)

LML 150 NV 4 Stroke (exported as 'Speedy' 4S)
LML Star 4
Old 28th January 2011, 16:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

LML is still producing NV series 4 stroke scooter which even has self start option. LML's past partner piaggio is also reported to make independent comeback to indian market with its new range of scooters similar to vespa range.
Old 4th March 2011, 07:50   #68
Senior - BHPian

MY LML Alfa - Restored

Here is my LML Alfa restored finally.Though it too sometime,it has come out well.
Attached Thumbnails
Whoa LML? Whither LML?-1.jpg  

Whoa LML? Whither LML?-2.jpg  

Whoa LML? Whither LML?-3.jpg  

Whoa LML? Whither LML?-4.jpg  

Whoa LML? Whither LML?-5.jpg  

Old 4th March 2011, 08:00   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Very well restored Hillram. The restored one looks cute.It was in a bad state when you bought it.The Alfa had 6 V electricals.But perhaps the engine was of 150 cc, like the NV. Do clarify.Does yours still have the 6 V electrics?
Even the older Yamaha RX 100's were with 6 V electricals. I got mine changed to 12 V.
Old 4th March 2011, 08:06   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its a beautiful scooter. The center fog looks fab. To me it looks a lot like the PL170 but that was not made by LML. Was this their short lived 100cc scooter?? Experts, please chip in.
Old 4th March 2011, 17:44   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Very well restored Hillram. The restored one looks cute.It was in a bad state when you bought it.The Alfa had 6 V electricals.But perhaps the engine was of 150 cc, like the NV. Do clarify.Does yours still have the 6 V electrics?
Even the older Yamaha RX 100's were with 6 V electricals. I got mine changed to 12 V.
Thanks Anjan.Indeed it has come out better than i expected as this was a sorted of derived colour mix.
My Alfa is also powered by 6Volts electricals and thats the reason i guess when LML introduced 12Volts they named it as NV(stood for New Voltage or Neutral Voltage).Thats what the LML showroom explained me in 1989 when I bought my LML Vespa NV.
Im looking for a Vespa XE and a T5 to add to my collection.
Old 4th March 2011, 19:27   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks hillram for the information.
Quote:

By looking at the missing indicators and headset I'm guessing it is also an early example not mentioned alot, a "Vespa 150" made by LML? Note the nose has an extra light?

LML Vespa 100 XE
LML Vespa 150
LML Vespa 150 DZ
LML Vespa 150 Alfa
LML Vespa 150 NV / NV Trident
LML Vespa 150 T5
LML Vespa NV SPL
LML Vespa T5 SPL
LML Vespa 200 T5 ES
LML Vespa 150 Smart
LML Vespa Select

LML Supremo
LML Select II
LML Sensation
LML Star
LML Trendy
LML Star Deluxe
LML Star Xpress
LML Prithvi
LML Pulse
LML Clipper (?)

LML 150 NV 4 Stroke (exported as 'Speedy' 4S)
LML Star 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Its a beautiful scooter. The center fog looks fab. To me it looks a lot like the PL170 but that was not made by LML. Was this their short lived 100cc scooter?? Experts, please chip in.
The PL 170 was a 125 cc Vespa, that was made by A.P. Scooters Ltd, the makers of the Alllwyn Pushpak.Though the PL 170 had a huge waiting list, the cancellations were in the thousands and so was that for the Vespa XE. Both were considered underpowered to pull two.LML brought in the 150 cc model from Vespa but APSL could not bring in a better model. Incidentally,Bajaj was watching the game of the Italians doing rock'n roll in the Indian market and by 1985 they introduced the 125 cc Bajaj Cub. The Cub sold very well. This one featured in the picture is a LML Vespa variant that used to come with a fog light.I am not sure what name they christened it with? Will have a look at its advertisement if I have preserved one.The Trident also came with a fog light, but its fog lamp was placed where the horn is- just above the front mudguard.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 4th March 2011 at 20:09.
Old 4th March 2011, 20:17   #73
Senior - BHPian

PL170 has another misconception.PL kind of stood for PAY LOAD 170 and most of the people thought it was 170cc with its petit look.
Im not sure if PL170 was 125 cc or 110cc.I have a Vespa PVX made by AP Scooters which is same monocoque body of PL170 but with a round headlight(refer my gallery) and its surely 110cc as per the RC book.

Last edited by hillram : 4th March 2011 at 20:20.
Old 4th March 2011, 20:21   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
PL170 has another misconception.PL stood for PAY LOAD 170 and most of the people thought it was 170cc its petit look.
Im not sure if PL170 was 125 cc or 110cc.I have a Vespa PVX made by AP Scooters which is same monocoque body of PL170 but with a round headlight(refer my gallery) and its surely 110cc as per the RC book.
Thanks hillram. I am mistaken. The PL170 was surely a sub 125 cc scooter. Can be 110 cc as you say. I have its tech specs in a publicity brochure and will see it and let you know soon.
Old 5th March 2011, 04:09   #75
BHPian

LML Alfa - Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Here is my LML Alfa restored.
Ram, the scooter looks great! The only things missing on the scooter are white wall tyres! With personal commitments taking up most of my time on weekends, I am unable to experiment further with home made white walls. But I have not given up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks