Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 14:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Lean Burn => LB .if we tune carb for more fuel ,what is the effect with mach 500LB ?Is it reduce the heating ?and better performance?
Old 12th December 2008, 21:38   #32
BHPian

@ alpha1

Why won't the 500LB give me the thump? I mean I'm sure it makes a mean noise stock and can be improved with a variety of options like silencer assemblies, FFEs and air-filters. Do you mean it will never recreate the thump of the original cast-iron engines? If yes, then I'm not too bothered. It is something I need to live with. As long as the bike doesn't sound lame, I'm fine with it.

@ throttleking

Thanks for your inputs. I think I understand what you mean now but I still feel that since a Bullet is not a regular "buy and sell after 2-3 years" kinda bike, I might as well get the one my heart years for now rather than long for it after getting something I never really wanted in the first place.

@ deepclutch

What heating? Does the bike have a overheating problem?
Old 13th December 2008, 11:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Deepclutch and Bluu
The 500LB Machismo has got same engine as AVL 350 Machismo or TBird (old one, not the TBTS).

Only thing diffferent is bore, which has been increased to make 500 cc.

I own the Tbird, hence, I speak from practical experience.

The AVL engine was designed to meet low emission norms. Your emission norms are not valid for engine running at redline, but for idling situations.

Lean burn allows you to burn lesser fuel. This reduces the emission. Ofcourse redesign of engine also allowed better fuel burning thus giving you better fuel efficiency.

The aluminium alloy offered better heat dissipation from engine, and lighter crank allowed the engine to run marginally faster (higher comfortable redline)

However, in all this, the low end torque suffered.
If you ride a 350 CI and 350 AVL side by side, you will realize this fact.
The CI is able to rev lower to sustain the speed.

This coupled with cast iron block gives it a unique thump.

With a free flow exhaust you can only increase the sound (volume) of thump, but you cannot change the sound. I have fitted a Goldstar. It makes the exhaust loud, but does not make it sound like a classic Bullet / Electra.

One more thing is that the AVL engines have got a mechanical rattle/clatter, which is very evident while idling or revving. You don't get those in Cast Irons.

Ofcourse if thump is not your criteria, then forget about all this.
But to me, there are two most important things in the "Enfield feel", those are:
1. Looks
2. Sound

If you tune the 500LB carb for rich fuel, you will only be wasting fuel. So don't tamper with it, unless you plan to fit free flow air fileter and exhaust.

Last edited by alpha1 : 13th December 2008 at 11:12.
Old 13th December 2008, 11:19   #34
BHPian

@ alpha1

Thanks for clarifying - your post is quite informative. The mechanical rattle that you speak of, is it a major issue? Is it something to worry about or is it just a quirk of the engine? Will it cause problems in the long run?
Old 13th December 2008, 21:28   #35

Well I love my Electra 4S which I bought 2 years back.
The softness, ruggedness, obedience, stamina, charm, and what not! makes me virtually adore her.
Well- after I bought it, quizzed the RE chaps which bike they liked in the stable; it was a "STANDARD". I feel sometimes why I didn't go for it!
Well 'Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder'. Whatever the case maybe, GO FOR THE BULL!
Old 13th December 2008, 23:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

^imho ,Electra 4S got all Std got and more. .that's why I like it
Old 14th December 2008, 09:57   #37
BHPian

took a test ride today of the tbts and mach 500 , floored by both of them (my biking till now has been on cd100 & cbz) , the mach 500 is a little high seated for me (5'6 80kgs), i belive i can get it shortened by having the retro seating (any other suggetions), i actually cannot decide between either of the bikes now , being the crazy guy i am i wouldnt surprise myself by going in for both of them by getting a personal loan of 2l and putting in the rest in cash. I did look at the std350 as well as an option instead of the mach , but I needed a 500cc for myself , I have no reasons to offer as to why.
Old 14th December 2008, 20:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrut View Post
I needed a 500cc for myself , I have no reasons to offer as to why.
I don't think any biker needs to give a reason for buying a bike except for sheer riding pleasure. You cannot tell me that there is a practical reason for buying a bike like the Busa. If a bike is the one your heart desires, go for it. I know I will.
Old 15th December 2008, 06:21   #39
Senior - BHPian

500LB is the way to go.

Even I am looking forward to upgrade from my Re350 CI machismo in jan-feb 09.
Old 15th December 2008, 11:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
@ alpha1

Thanks for clarifying - your post is quite informative. The mechanical rattle that you speak of, is it a major issue? Is it something to worry about or is it just a quirk of the engine? Will it cause problems in the long run?
No its not a problem.
the clattering noise is just the noize of your engine working.
Rockers/tappets/pushrods etc.

Its just that aluminium conducts sound much better than iron.
And hence you get more sound out from the engine.

If you put in a loud exhaust, then its not a problem. But while on OEM exhaust, you will find the clatter bothersome (atleast I did)
Old 15th December 2008, 18:18   #41
BHPian

Would you suggest the Goldstar exhaust as well? Are there any other options?
Anyone know where I can get one in Bangalore or will I have to get it from Bombay/Pune?
Old 16th December 2008, 09:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

I bought a STANDARD 350, 99 model for 24,000. Guess I got lucky because I landed up with a beautiful machine, and now have buyers for 35,000.

I ride the BULL to work everyday, and feel so safe coming back home at 12:00 AM on the ring road. Have gone out for a ride with the local Bangalore Bullet Club ROLLING THUNDER MOTORCYCLING CLUB

If I were you, I would buy a second hand BULL, as old as possible, and then painfully restore it to pristine condition.
Old 16th December 2008, 17:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
If I were you, I would buy a second hand BULL, as old as possible, and then painfully restore it to pristine condition.
I wish I shared your sentiments but I am averse to purchasing second-hand vehicles. It's a personal choice and I cannot see myself being happy with a pre-owned bike, even if it were in mint condition to begin with let alone my having to restore it. Also, I'm a sucker for new technologies. I want a bike that gives the best of the technological and well as the emotional worlds of biking (Eg, I want electronic start - no kicking for me).

A question about the Mototune method of breaking-in bike engines. Sankar, if you're listening: Do you think it is a method suited to the Bullets? If Sankar refuses to listen, can someone else answer or make him listen?

Cheers!
Old 16th December 2008, 20:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
I wish I shared your sentiments but I am averse to purchasing second-hand vehicles. It's a personal choice and I cannot see myself being happy with a pre-owned bike, even if it were in mint condition to begin with let alone my having to restore it. Also, I'm a sucker for new technologies. I want a bike that gives the best of the technological and well as the emotional worlds of biking (Eg, I want electronic start - no kicking for me).

A question about the Mototune method of breaking-in bike engines. Sankar, if you're listening: Do you think it is a method suited to the Bullets? If Sankar refuses to listen, can someone else answer or make him listen?

Cheers!
@Bluu
AFAIK, the 500 LB has plenty of issues with the electric starter's sprag clutch. So that is a minus point if you will predominantly use the electric start to start your 500lb. Also, I interacted with plenty of 500 LB owners who have all faced issues with the sprag clutch. A couple of owners even suggested that the sprag clutch should be the first item removed even before the packaging. All hope isn't lost though as this issue has been somewhat rectified by Royal Enfield with the addition of a delay circuit which delays ignition. According to fellow forumers at enfieldmotorcycles.com, this circuit has eliminated sprag failure by 99%. So, imho, use the electric start very sparingly to prevent any starting issues. Meanwhile, the sprag clutch can also self destruct even if the engine kicks back(backfire). This happens in bullets almost every now and then due to a lean mixture, etc. So, that is one more issue to watch out for. Apart from that and a few other niggling electrical issues, people have generally given great feedback about the 500LB. I am doing a lot of digging around to know more about the 500LB as I am also a prospective 500LB owner.

Regarding the motoman technique, it has worked for a few who have mustered the guts to try it. I remember reading somewhere that Sankar has used this technique correctly on his 350. But, then again, if it were me, I wouldn't be risking the motoman technique with the lb500 cos I feel that the LB500 needs to be pampered till atleast 2K. That is what owners of a few super reliable LB500s told me. happy thumping.

Cheers
Old 16th December 2008, 20:16   #45
BHPian

Wow! Do you know if this issue will be resolved (99%) in the 2009 models? I don't plan to buy it anytime before Feb-Mar. I'm worried because I'm not sure if kicking a 500LB will be a pleasant experience. I might be put into orbit if it kicks back!

Most Viewed