Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 21:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
A question about the Mototune method of breaking-in bike engines. Sankar, if you're listening: Do you think it is a method suited to the Bullets? If Sankar refuses to listen, can someone else answer or make him listen?

Cheers!
Lol.. ok i'm listening

I did the mototune break in for the new cylinder kit that i had bought for my CI350. I didn't strictly follow the motoman method but improvised upon it. Till the day i had sold my bike the compression held very good.

But... i wouldn't suggest mototune break-in for a new bullet. Mototune is supposed to provide a good ring seal. Bullet engine is built up od components with varying tolerances, QC is not stringent. It has a lot of wheels, cogs, engine internals, gearbox internals, clutch etc etc that need a proper break in. There are a lot of stuff spread out doing different things and probably with wide manufacturing tolerances. Maybe in a new gen unitary engine it's not much of a bother (i did the mototune method for my Karizma also and am happy). So honestly i would suggest you take it by the book for a NEW Enfield.

Last edited by Sankar : 16th December 2008 at 21:02.
Old 16th December 2008, 21:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! Do you know if this issue will be resolved (99%) in the 2009 models? I don't plan to buy it anytime before Feb-Mar. I'm worried because I'm not sure if kicking a 500LB will be a pleasant experience. I might be put into orbit if it kicks back!
@Bluu
It has already been resolved and all new bikes being sold in India and abroad are coming with the delay circuit. Kicking the Mach500 will take more effort than the 350s as it has a higher compresion ratio of 8.5:1. Also, if you are want the most technologically advanced Enfields around, you might take a look at the Thunderbird Twinspark which is pretty easy to kickstart as it has an auto-decompressor and it "apparently" has a leak-proof engine.
Old 17th December 2008, 08:18   #48
BHPian

Oh no no! I have my mind set on the 500LB for sure. Whatever be the problems with it.

Another query:

Anyone had issues with the electricals/lights on the bike? Mainly I want to know if the headlight is sufficiently bright since I live in a village and we do not have street lamps so driving back from work could get unnecessarily adventurous with a weak headlamp.

I've had to upgrade my car headlights for this very reason.
Old 17th December 2008, 08:30   #49
Senior - BHPian

@Bluu
You have company man, even I have made up my mind to go for the Mach500 inspite of all the starting issues. I thought of removing the sprag clutch and using just the kick start as a few bikes have been stranded after the sprag disintegrated and jammed the primary. Coming to the elctricals, a few motorcycles from the first lot(2007) havve reported blown fuses frequently. Apart froom this, no major issues with the electricals. Coming to the headlamp, the Mach500 has one of the best headlamps according to a first ride report by Bike India. Here is the link Royal Enfield Bullet Machismo 500lb

Cheers

Coming
Old 17th December 2008, 09:03   #50

Quote:
Mainly I want to know if the headlight is sufficiently bright since I live in a village and we do not have street lamps so driving back from work could get unnecessarily adventurous with a weak headlamp.

I've had to upgrade my car headlights for this very reason.
The standard OEM lights on the LB 500 are more than enough for regular/highway use. On a recent trip made late evening/night on the highway with fellow bullet riders, I was was told that they preferred me to ride in front as the stock lights were blinding their vision in the rear view mirrors making it difficult for them to ride (my lights were on hi-beam).
Old 17th December 2008, 12:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would you suggest the Goldstar exhaust as well? Are there any other options?
Anyone know where I can get one in Bangalore or will I have to get it from Bombay/Pune?
Nah, I wouldn't.
Better to plonk the old short bottle silencer that used to come with old bullets.

Ofcourse the Goldstar stuff looks better. But then its costs more.

Now that I have spent on it (Golstar), and been running for close to 3 years - I think I should've just stayed with the short bottle.
Old 17th December 2008, 15:09   #52
BHPian

@ Bluu - goldstar is good if you prefer a loud roaring thump. The original pune ones are good in quality and give you a nice freeflow system. With proper jetting/filter/tuning etc you get a better breathing bull. I am using this for past 3 years on my CI500 and happy with it. The old OE short silencer is also good if you like the mild/beat thump. Whatever it is, throw that big long barrel one which is installed in new bulls. IMO they are quiet boring and very restrictive.

New bulls have good/decent OE lights. But you can always fix an Autopal reflector set (one which is for amby - perfect fit in bull casquette) and a good H4 55/60 halogen (Philips xtreme) which will give you superb light if you are not satisfied with OE reflector and bulb.
Old 18th December 2008, 21:23   #53
BHPian

How about the exhausts shown on the US website?

Custom Exhaust Systems and Components for Royal Enfield - Royal Enfield Online Store

I can get one of those delivered to me. Any idea how good or bad they are performance-wise?

@alpha1

Are the short bottle silencers easily available?
Old 18th December 2008, 22:51   #54
Senior - BHPian

@Bluu
If you have lots of money, why don't you buy a nice 70-80's model CI 350 rather than wasting so much dough on the exorbitantly priced exhausts. Yes, you can buy a used CI350 with the kind of money the exhausts sell at. Agreed, that they may have better finish than the custom goldies or short bottles made in India but apart from the finish, the Indian ones are equally good if not better in performance. Also, I really fail to understand the need to fork out so much cash for stuff that is very easily available right here in India. Relax mate, go slow and easy. With due regards to Kevin Mahoney of Enfield Motorycles, the higher prices at royalenfieldusa are most probaby due to higher material and labour charges in the US of A or other variables. But, being in India, I would suggest that you buy a goldie from Delhi, Pune, Bangalore or Chennai. For Delhi goldie, you may contact one Saurabh Katar. Here is his orkut profile. orkut -
Happy Thumping
Old 19th December 2008, 08:31   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
@Bluu
If you have lots of money, why don't you buy a nice 70-80's model CI 350 rather than wasting so much dough on the exorbitantly priced exhausts. Yes, you can buy a used CI350 with the kind of money the exhausts sell at. Agreed, that they may have better finish than the custom goldies or short bottles made in India but apart from the finish, the Indian ones are equally good if not better in performance. Also, I really fail to understand the need to fork out so much cash for stuff that is very easily available right here in India. Relax mate, go slow and easy. With due regards to Kevin Mahoney of Enfield Motorycles, the higher prices at royalenfieldusa are most probaby due to higher material and labour charges in the US of A or other variables. But, being in India, I would suggest that you buy a goldie from Delhi, Pune, Bangalore or Chennai. For Delhi goldie, you may contact one Saurabh Katar. Here is his orkut profile. orkut -
Happy Thumping
LOL! Thanks for the inputs, I did not want to come across as a cash-splurging type! I am more than happy to purchase the silencers in India. My primary concern is quality and I wanted to check every available option.
I have said before that I do not prefer pre-owned vehicles and that still stands true.
Another thing, I came across an upswept exhaust during my browsing and for the life of me I cannot locate that pic anymore but I thought it looked smashing. Anyone have any info on those - would be greately appreciated!
I don't mind getting one fabricated if everything else is the same because I think they add a neat flow to the design of the vehicle! Will try and post the pic if I find it!
Old 19th December 2008, 08:53   #56
Senior - BHPian

@Bluu
I was thinking on the same lines too - An upswept partailly-grilled goldie :P
For the upswept goldie, you could contact Gordon here on team-bhp. He has a beautiful Cafe Racer Machismo which has a upswept exhaust. If I remember right, he got it specially fabricated and got it double chromed for < 3K. The thread about the cafe racer is here, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...-i-m-back.html Hope this helps
Old 19th December 2008, 09:48   #57
BHPian

Hi All

I have been mulling over a new bike for an year now..... Have been riding the P 180 for six and half years now. Following the forums on Team-Bhp and other sites too, I have begun veering seriously towards considering Bullet as a choice. Of course...... the specifics would come later.....

My query is that does a person like me who has had not even a single ride on a bullet till date need to "spend some time with one" before making the leap or like other bikes can I just get one and then get accustomed to it???
Old 19th December 2008, 09:58   #58
BHPian

Hi All

I have been mulling over a new bike for an year now..... Have been riding the P 180 for six and half years now. Following the forums on Team-Bhp and other sites too, I have begun veering seriously towards considering Bullet as a choice. Of course...... the specifics would come later.....

My query is that does a person like me who has had not even a single ride on a bullet till date need to "spend some time with one" before making the leap or like other bikes can I just get one and then get accustomed to it???
Old 20th December 2008, 13:41   #59
BHPian

Update

Here is an update on my pursuit of a Bullet:

I called the Royal Enfield Brand Store in Jayanagar and asked to get test-rides of the Machismo 500 and the T'Bird TS. The response was positive and so I reached there with a friend at 11AM today.

Upon arrival, we found a deserted sales floor. After a bit, some chap appeared from a small cabin and asked us what we wanted. When I explained that I had (sort of) booked a TR for the two bikes, he told us that neither was available. I ranted about how I had traveled 30kms for the TR after confirming the bikes were available.

He went away for a while and returned to tell us that the T'Bird had gone for a trip but he could bring the 500 in 30 mins from their godown. Since my primary interest lay in the 500, we agreed and went away for breakfast.

Once we returned to the store, again it was deserted. Soon enough, the same chap reappeared and said "5 minutes". A half-hour later and there was no sign of the bike. Meanwhile, neither of the two salesmen were really interested in attending to us. Almost seemed like they didn't really care if we bought the bike or not. Some more time passed.

By now our patience was wearing thin. After repeated queries, the guy disappeared again. When he finally reappeared I asked him to talk me through the finance plans while we waited for the motorcycle. He said there aren't any. That was something I found extremely wierd, considering that their motorcycles are easily the most expensive on the market today (discount the R1s and 'Busas)

By now we had been waiting for well over an hour. Finally our patience ran out and we left with a bitter taste in the mouth.

I had expected it to be a great day. I had expected myself to be gushing about how much fun the TRs were but unfortunately, here I am, raging about how pitiful the experience was. The RE Brand Store is a real let-down to the image of RE, which is something I feel the company doesn't care too much about in the first place.

I was also told that there were sooo many bookings for the 500LB that delivery would take 30 days! I fail to believe that statement.

All in all, a bad day. I am now going to try Teknik motors. If I have a similar experience then RE can go stuff themselves and I'll purchase a different bike. If anyone has a contact person they trust in the Bangalore dealerships, please PM me.
Old 20th December 2008, 14:24   #60
BHPian

you can check out at teknik or hsr

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1089458

Most Viewed