Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2009, 19:25   #121
Senior - BHPian

I had this problem of slight oil spilling out of the area where head and cylinder meets.It needed "facing" of both things to have a perfect fit.hence ,no oil leaks there after.yeah ,it was from the first day my bullet was bought.
more than clutch oil ,you have to check for the engine oil level ,with the oil level falling below that minimum level ,pump may not be working well.AVL's got a better Oil Pump though(geared) @sankar can confirm this.
Old 22nd February 2009, 19:59   #122
Senior - BHPian

Prakash Bhai,

I check the engine oil every time before and after a long ride and on a weekly basis at other times. The engine oil is at the full level. My bike isn't consuming oil. About the oil pump, yes, the AVLs come with a gear type pump which has very less chances of failure compared to the oil pump on the CI Bullets. Right now oil is staying inside and I hope it stays that way. Touch wood.
Old 22nd February 2009, 21:58   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Bluu,

AVL 500 is a good choice. Good power , mileage comparable to 350 cc RE and fast too. Fix a Goldstar Silencer, you are god. Thump is astounding.

Warm regards,
Dwarak
What is a 'Goldstar silencer'? How does it look like and what does it cost?
Is it a DIY or workshop assistance is must?
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:14   #124
Senior - BHPian

^based on a old BSA model.It sound's awesome.you can get them delivered by saurabh katar @orkut.search there.he is asking 1300k shipped?
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:38   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
What is a 'Goldstar silencer'? How does it look like and what does it cost?
Is it a DIY or workshop assistance is must?
Dear Susan,
Goldstar Silencer has a progressively increasing expansion chamber. I have attached an image of the same. From what i've heard, they sound really loud.
Cheers,
Deepak
Attached Thumbnails
New Bullet Fan Needs Help!-cimg0734.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2009, 23:05   #126
Senior - BHPian

though no source to verify whether it is adverse to exhaust valve.
Old 22nd February 2009, 23:22   #127
BANNED

No they're not very loud. It depends on how much packing filled inside, and the type of packing too. They sound nice, and some are loud.

Exhaust valve burn if the timing and the jetting is not right, on AVLs get the jetting right and it would be safe.

Last edited by Sankar : 22nd February 2009 at 23:25.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:03   #128
BHPian

Hello,

Greetings!

My name is Tanveer, and am very passionate about owning and riding the Royal Enfield Bullet. I have been searching for a good machine for quite sometime and have finally narrowed down my search to a 1976 Bullet 350 cc -
1) Second owner
2) Plating, painting works done about 10 months ago. Rebore 1st oversize done about 3 months ago, and engine gearbox works done about 10 months ago.
3) Maintained in an all original state except for the petrol tank which has been replaced by a latest machismo tank and the electrical switch gear on the handle bar.
4) The bike has original single hub break drums in the front and the rear, and old styling front mudguard with the number plate on the front side.
5) The bike is painted black in color however the RC book shows the color as Meroon.
6)The first owner - 75 year old gentleman parted it to the second owner two years ago. The second owner now wants to sell this bike to buy a 1958 magneto bullet.
7) He is quoting Rs40000/ and slightly negotiable. .
8) Two things that could have been done better on this bike are painting which is not really upto the mark, and the machismo tank.

I need your advice and guidance to the determine the true value of this bike. What price is it really worth buying at? And also comment on the condition of the bike as shown in the attached pic.

Looking forward to your advise

Thanks & regards,

Tanveer
Attached Thumbnails
New Bullet Fan Needs Help!-bullet76.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2009, 16:02   #129
Senior - BHPian

by the looks the price he claims is kind of OK price -provided all engine work's done.try to bargain to settle for 35K if possible.but pre-74 bullets are only considered as classic's(atleast that's what bullet experts says).It looks like the owner "electra-fied" it
Old 14th March 2009, 15:52   #130
Senior - BHPian

Some reflections at 4K KMs

Alright, 4000 KMs done. She looks as gorgeous as ever.

Firstly, I'd like to delve on the servicing aspect. Horrible is a mild word. At 3K, I dropped her off for servicing. The silencer gasket had conked off again. Actually, with the silencer gasket blown, the bike seemed very smooth although I think more than some back pressure was lost and hence some resultant acceleration. This time, the Brand store service chaps put in two gaskets. Since then, the gasket stays put. They hadn't changed gear oil and the clutch oil and had billed me for it. Ask me how I knew. Another tantrum throwing session ensued with the service manager Mr Sounderrajan intervening and giving the mechanic a dressing down. I refused to buy the clutch oil and gearbox oil from the brand store and instead bought Castrol 20W40 for the clutch and EP90 for the gearbox and changed it on my own. Then they didn't have the o-ring that sits at the tappet cover-decomp junction. So, I had to make a trip to my mechanic for one. Overall, the bike felt worse than before the service. Turned out that the pilot was running too lean and hence she was slightly knocking when I used to whack open the throttle. I richened the pilot settings and cleaned out the float which hd a little dirt. Now she really runs. Also, when I was on shell unleaded she wasn't too smooth. I switched over to HP Power and the change in smoothness is amazing, especially in the mid-top end.

Just a couple of days later, I lowered the handlebar to suit my long rides. After a 60KM on/off road to Manchanabele dam to test(ACIDTEST) the new set-up, I found the clutch lever position uncomfortably high. I lowered it and tightened it a little too much. Result: a broken mount. I got the entire assembly replaced the next day for 630 bucks. Now, after a week, on Friday, the 13th, disaster struck. After work, I was checking the tappet adjustment just because I had nothing to do. While tightening the tappet cover, I heard a slight click, the ominous soung of aluminium cracking. Turned out the tappet cover had cracked. So much so for my timepass. I sealed the old tappet cover with MSeal to prevent oil from leaking and bought a tappet cover from the Brand store and replaced it. Moral of the store: Don't overtighten things on the bull. Apart these minor self induced glitches, life has been nice. Great torque and outdragging ZMAs, Pulsar boys and the occasional R15, especially when there is an incline/flyover ahead, is a major ego booster. Finally, we have a Bull that can show a clean pair of heels to the indo-jappers. Now, I'm contemplating a Shakeel-goldie and a upjet and maybe even a K&N.

Happy Thumping,
Jay
Old 14th March 2009, 19:02   #131
BHPian

Hi..

my honest feedback is ..

if you waana buy LB500 get it from direct royal enfield outlets(not from distributors)..because LB500 is very less in market and as i knew many guys who had bought LB 500(including me) gets major or minor issues often..
Old 15th March 2009, 11:31   #132
Senior - BHPian

Deepan,

I don't know about the Chennai brand store but in Bangalore, the response is pretty bad, be it sales or the service. I have managed to get by as I know a couple of people personally. But otherwise, I think that the other showrooms are a better bet as their profits are directly dependent on the number of motorcycles they sell. Contrary to this, the Brand Store chaps are paid directly by the factory. IMHO, I suggest the other dealerships over the brand store.
Old 15th March 2009, 12:27   #133
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
Hello,

Greetings!

My name is Tanveer, and am very passionate about owning and riding the Royal Enfield Bullet. I have been searching for a good machine for quite sometime and have finally narrowed down my search to a 1976 Bullet 350 cc -
1) Second owner
2) Plating, painting works done about 10 months ago. Rebore 1st oversize done about 3 months ago, and engine gearbox works done about 10 months ago.
3) Maintained in an all original state except for the petrol tank which has been replaced by a latest machismo tank and the electrical switch gear on the handle bar.
4) The bike has original single hub break drums in the front and the rear, and old styling front mudguard with the number plate on the front side.
5) The bike is painted black in color however the RC book shows the color as Meroon.
6)The first owner - 75 year old gentleman parted it to the second owner two years ago. The second owner now wants to sell this bike to buy a 1958 magneto bullet.
7) He is quoting Rs40000/ and slightly negotiable. .
8) Two things that could have been done better on this bike are painting which is not really upto the mark, and the machismo tank.

I need your advice and guidance to the determine the true value of this bike. What price is it really worth buying at? And also comment on the condition of the bike as shown in the attached pic.

Looking forward to your advise

Thanks & regards,

Tanveer
I don't know if you have bought this bike yet. I hope you haven't bought it for 40K. I dint see this post before. Anyways here's my opinion wrt it's price if someone else wants to buy another such an example.

To be honest it's not worth 40k, it's a 76 model and from the looks of it it's maintained pretty ordinary. There's nothing special about this example. If the bike is a pre 70s genuine model then the price asked by the seller for one maintained in such a condition is OK. Just for your info: 76 model is not recognised as a classic by VCCI. If it has to be a classic the bike should be 70 or older.

Some shell too much for what they are buying, becuase they may not know the actual value of what they are buying.
Old 15th March 2009, 12:40   #134
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
I found the clutch lever position uncomfortably high. I lowered it and tightened it a little too much. Result: a broken mount. I got the entire assembly replaced the next day for 630 bucks. Now, after a week, on Friday, the 13th, disaster struck. After work, I was checking the tappet adjustment just because I had nothing to do. While tightening the tappet cover, I heard a slight click, the ominous soung of aluminium cracking. Turned out the tappet cover had cracked. So much so for my timepass. I sealed the old tappet cover with MSeal to prevent oil from leaking and bought a tappet cover from the Brand store and replaced it. Moral of the store: Don't overtighten things on the bull.
Don't over tighten things on any bike for that matter! Bull's alloy/threads in casting are not as strong as other bikes. Is it due to manufacturing technique or due to alloy i don't know. Whenever you tighten down things on a Bull don't do it as if the entire bike is held together by that single nut. Invest in a torque wrench if you could.

The clutch and front brake lever yoke is always a weak point on any bike. If you overtighten it you will either break it or strip the threads. Just tighten is so that it doesn't move on the handle bar.

The tappet cover, if you tighten it too much it might break, as you found out. And even if it doesn't break the cover might still warp due to over tightening and that would result in a leak.

Next sparkplug, twist the sparkplug with hand when you put it back. Use only hand to tighten it as much as you can, then give a quarter turn of tightening down with a wrench. That should be enough. Over tighten and you will strip the thread which will cause you major headaches.

Stuff like axle nuts et al, you can tighten down much without worrying bout stripping the threads. Any thread that involves aluminium should be handled with care.
Old 15th March 2009, 13:33   #135
Senior - BHPian

Sankar,

I learnt it the hard way. Fortunately I got away with things that could be replaced easily. I will invest in a torque wrench shortly.

Most Viewed