Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 08:27   #1
BHPian

New Bullet Fan Needs Help!

The fan (me) is new, not the Bullet.

A little backstory:

I started riding a bike when I was 16. My first bike was a brand new (to the market) Bajaj Caliber. After a few years, I moved to Bangalore and graduated to a Bajaj Pulsar 180 (1st Gen). Rode that for a few years. Got a new car last year. Bike was in disuse so I sold it.

However, I still yearn to bike around and now that I have settled on the outskirts of Bangalore, I can once again plan to own one.

I had almost decided on choosing between the FZ16 and the RTR-FI when I went on a little TD on my friend's RE 350 STD. The rest is proverbial history!

I don't think anything can come close to the charm of a Bullet. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's there. Sure they have their moods and need more care and affection than these new-age bikes but still.

All this after just one ride that lasted maybe 5 minutes!

Therefore, I have decided that the next bike I buy must be a Bullet.

Now that you know the background, my queries:

I want the Machismo 500LB, good choice? Bike will be ridden both short (~20km) and long (~150-200km) regularly.

I want lots of pulling power, not too bothered with top speed. Most of all I want the comfort and road presence that accompanies the REs.

I'm not averse to thinking about the TBird as well, however, the sound is not the same as the original Thumpers and is a major letdown. Can that be modified to sound the same as the other, more robust, Bullets?

Anything else that I should think about before jumping in? I'm kinda dazed right now, my wife thinks I'm nuts and she's probably right too. Any inputs will be appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 10th December 2008, 09:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

RD350 will be a good choice if pulling power is what you need.
Machismo 500 is a lean-burn AVL engine and sounds like a rat.Cast Iron Bullet Std/Dlx 350 or electra 4S is a good choice. you can tune the bull for more power(less mileage) . UCE Engine powered bullets(electra) will be on the roads soon(2009-10).So ,you got 2 choice - get a used CI 500cc bull or tune a 350cc bull
Old 10th December 2008, 10:04   #3
BHPian

@deepclutch - Are there any official press releases from RE about the UCE engine for the machismo 500 ? And will it make a difference in the bike performance ? I have almost zeroed in on the mach 500 and Jan09 is when i plan to get it (hopefully before the Rider Mania 2009) , I ofcourse have absolutely no patience to wait for the new UCE engine if it's launching soon, but just out of curiosity
Old 10th December 2008, 10:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Bluu,

Right choice of RE. Check out Twin Spark T Bird and Machismo 500 AVL. Both give good mileage , 500 AVL gives good power too. If you want real feel of bullet like right side gear and left side brakes, go for 350 Std. Now a days all bullet variants except 350 std comes with regular biking experience in gears and brakes.

Dwarak
Old 10th December 2008, 10:38   #5
BHPian

Hello Bluu,

Welcome to the world of bikes.. the real ones.

I am an avid Bullet fan myself and have two 500cc monsters in my stable. I have test driven the new LB500 and also the Electra, the STD 350 and many others.

In my opinion if it is the retro thump that you want....then there is nothing better than an alloy engine with a short silencer.

Do note that the writing on the wall is clear with regards to the ALLOY Engines, they will be sunset after a few years to handle the emission norms.

If you decide to go in for an allow now ... this will definetly retain its value over the next few years or a decade atleast.

PRE 1973 (74) bikes were most sought out as they are the nearest to the british Singles. The fact being they used to have a heavier crank.

Post 1973 (74) the India manufactured Bullets were rolled out with lighther cranks. Weight reudction etc.. would have been possible reasons then.

However, the good news now is that the new 2008 machines STD 350 machines are back onthe roads with the heavier crank.

The Happy ending is that you can seriously look at an Alloy.. preferable the STD 350.

Cheers!
Shiva
Old 10th December 2008, 11:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Shivshanker - alloy engines are AVL engines - and their thump is pathetic that pathetic nature is only exceeded by UCE, which sounds like a commuter bike (CD100 for instance).

Its is the cast iron old engines that produce that wonderful thump thump thump sound.
These engines are present on Bullet standard and electra (both 4 and 5 geared ones)

Last edited by alpha1 : 10th December 2008 at 11:53.
Old 10th December 2008, 15:32   #7
BHPian

Making your RE bike sound different is not a huge deal. There are hajaar different varieties of after market exhaust pipes that would make yoru bike sound louder, deeper etc.

I'd suggest you buy whats you find more comfy.

-Machismo 500 has tons of pulling power and the traditional (classic) looks.
-TBird twinspark has a UCE engine, which is supposed to be more reliable and give good mileage.
- Electra has goodies like electric start, 5 gears and the old thumper engine
- STD 350 is the bare bones RE with the good old 4 speed gearbox(right shifter) and the classic CI engine. It is the cheapest of the lot too.

Take your pick.
Old 10th December 2008, 16:01   #8
BHPian

Hello Alpha1,

I meant the old Cast irons .. thanks for pointing out my folly.

cheers!

Shiva
Old 10th December 2008, 17:08   #9
BHPian

I'm really leaning towards the 500LB. A couple of friends have them and can't stop gushing praises about em!

Will take a TD of one as soon as possible and then decide.

I agree that changing the sound is not too difficult. I love the road presence of the 500.

Noob Alert: Can someone please elaborate on what is AVL, CI, UCE etc?

Also, definitely want a left-shifter right-brake bike so the STD is out. Plus, was really difficult to make the wife agree for the bike so cannot regret not buying the biggest and best of the lot.

Cheers!
Old 10th December 2008, 17:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Bluu you just have the option of AVL 500, the Cast iron 500 is no more in production and UCE will take about a year or more to be launched.

AVL 500 is a nice bike, smooth and powerful, the torque is very nice which makes it an ideal bike for the hiway.

You can pick this bike...you will love it
Old 10th December 2008, 19:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the C.I. engine is well and truly on it's way out. The official product page at royalenfield.com- Motorcycles | Motorcycle Manufacturer doesn't display the 4 speed right shift Electra anymore. So, in all probability, the Electra 4s has been phased out.
Old 10th December 2008, 20:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Bluu,

AVL 500 is a good choice. Good power , mileage comparable to 350 cc RE and fast too. Fix a Goldstar Silencer, you are god. Thump is astounding.

Warm regards,
Dwarak
Old 10th December 2008, 21:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

There is this complaint about carburettor line pulling out from engine inlet port with AVL 500cc mach.Is that problem solved?
Old 10th December 2008, 23:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
There is this complaint about carburettor line pulling out from engine inlet port with AVL 500cc mach.Is that problem solved?
this problem is only with an engine thats bit off on valve timing and is easily rectified. it could also be caused by improper starting technique.
Old 11th December 2008, 16:26   #15
BHPian

Close your eyes and go for LB 500 (Machismo), if you want slightly simpler RE go for Twinspark both will serve the purpose. but nothing like LB 500. I used Electra for 5 years ridden for 1.34 lac KMS and then switched to LB.

Most Viewed