Team-BHP - How to calculate the mileage of the bike?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   How to calculate the mileage of the bike? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/50728-how-calculate-mileage-bike.html)

Guyes .. i own 2005 avenger 180 cc.Please suggest me , how to calculate the fuel effeciency of my bike..

There are various ways but the most commonly used one is to measure from Reserve to reserve.

You can follow these steps

- Note your odo readings on hitting reserve (You can also Reset the trip meter if you have one)

- Fill in say 5 liters of fuel

- When the bike hits reserve again find out how many kms your bike did from last odo reading(when you had first hit reserve) to this reading

- Divide this X kms by 5 & you will get you mileage.

If you want to know more accurate mileage, do tankful to reserve method.

I use the following method for calculating mileage.

Fill the bike up to the brim.
Drive around for a while.
At 100km, fill up to the brim again.
Your mileage is 100/No. of litres filled.

i had checked my bikes mileage long ago -my mechanic an me went together in the bike- first thing is he got petrol supply to the carberator disconnected ,he had a drip bottle kind of thing with a pipe he filled 500ml of petrol in the bottle and we went for a ride ,he was sittin behind holdin the bottle an i was ridin an after the fuel got over in the bottle we calculated the mileage and connected the fuel tank pipe again . sounds crazy but it worked:D

I use the same method as P1tBull except that I drive for atleast 250kms to get a more accurate figure.

Techno's method is the best and that is what i follow for my bike.
Generally I fill in 5 lit and then reset the trip from reserve to reserve.

Abhi

Reserve to reserve is the best, IMHO. But then, we all have our own feel-good way of doing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by P1tBull (Post 1095194)
...At 100km, fill up to the brim again.
Your mileage is 100/No. of litres filled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdriver2000 (Post 1095251)
...I drive for atleast 250kms to get a more accurate figure.

Just one question guys - how the hell do you guys time your drive to hit 100kms / 250kms exactly near a petrol pump? stupid:

No Speedo, No Odo, No range limits :)

But what I do occasionally is I switch off the fuel and see how far I can ride before the bike halts.
Done on the same stretch of road and I know exactly how far she will go.
If there is a big variance then I repeat the test the next day.

Have not yet encountered major variance in this completely unscientific method.
When I do, I guess I will take her to the mechanic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 1095185)
There are various ways but the most commonly used one is to measure from Reserve to reserve.

If you want to know more accurate mileage, do tankful to reserve method.

Reserve to reserve is the best method. In case of tankful to tankful method, there are chances of errors. Also dont change the petrol pump if possible. This can affect also, as I have experience many times.

I dont think that tankful to tankful method is more accurate.

But to get the best most accurate, do reserve to reserve and then go for tankful to tankful.

Quote:

Reserve to reserve is the best method. In case of tankful to tankful method, there are chances of errors.
Its the other way around.

In case you dont fill tank full, chances are you would have fuel in the right side compartment of tank which may result in hitting reserve sooner than what it would have. This is eliminated in tank full approach.

Techno has the best advice , follow it. I know , I do. 35kpl cbz

Reserve to Reserve is the most practical method. We can regularly check the mileage just by resetting the trip meter when it goes to reserve, and seeing what is the trip meter reading when it goes to reserve again. Divide this by the amount of petrol filled in between, and what you get is the mileage of the bike. Those who don't have the trip meter will need to note down the odo readings. Also remember to do it multiple times and take the average to get the correct mileage figure, because it may vary according to the terrain and the traffic, loading etc.

The problem with reserve to reserve is with all the splashing around in the tank between the two halves of the tank, you cannot be sure of accuracy.
It'll give you a ballpark figure but will not be as accurate as tankfull to tankfull.

And it does not have to be 100km, it can be any value. 100 just looks like a good number.

reserve to reserve is best. But on second note

Tank up till auto cut
Reset the trip meter (if there or else note the odo reading)
drive & wait till reserve sign reappear
then tank up the tank till auto cut

Divide the trip meter reading by quantity of fuel refilled = Average

I use the same way for my MT01 = 16Km/Lr & other car in my shed ! It had always given my close to accurate reading as i always go to gas station for tank to tank auto cut refilling.

:)

I am assuming you don't have to worry about fuel density in Indian weather. In places where it gets pretty cold, filling up in the early mornings when the fuel is denser will indicate better mileage for same amount of fuel as compared to filling up later in the day when its warmer and fuel is less dense.

There was even a Top Gear episode about this.