Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 19:32   #1
BHPian

What are the symptoms of a dying clutch plate on a bike

Hi folks,

Sorry for the large volume of posts recently, I am prepping for a 2000 km ride next week and checking things off one by one. Here is the latest question:

The gear lever on my 06 Karizma was incredibly hard when I first bought her a few weeks back. The first garage I took it to initially diagnosed it as a worn clutch plate. But they later changed their mind and said it only needed "adjustment." The lever action is much better now than before, but still a bit notchy. I compared against a newer, better maintained Karizma and its nowhere as slick as the newer one.

I took it to a second tech nearby and he again was of the opinion that the clutch plate was on its way out. But he advised against changing it right away and waiting a while.

Here's my take:
  1. There is no clutch chatter
  2. There is no slippage
  3. The gear shift is notchy between 1 and 2 and I tend to catch false neutrals. Much smoother on 3-4-5. Notchy on down shifts also.
  4. The first garage put in a new clutch cable when they did their "adjustment"
Even if there is a hint of doubt, I would prefer to get it replaced. But what are some other symptoms of a dying clutch plate? Does it affect acceleration? How can I be sure?

Thanks.
Old 16th December 2008, 19:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Did you show it to HH mech?

From my personal experience if your clutch is gone weak, the most prominent signs are high fuel consumption & drop in pick up. Are you facing any of these?
Old 16th December 2008, 19:41   #3
BHPian

Most prominent sign is drastic drop in pickup. When you drive such a vehicle then you feel as if you are driving with your clutch still engaged or pressed down. The gesr shift will certainly not be smooth or say jumpy.

I remember it from my Suzuki shogun dayz as I had got its clutch plates worn off twice in its life of about 10 years !

Hope i was right
Old 16th December 2008, 19:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Did you show it to HH mech?

From my personal experience if your clutch is gone weak, the most prominent signs are high fuel consumption & drop in pick up. Are you facing any of these?
As for pick-up, I don't feel any drop. I have only compared it with one other Karizma and felt that mine was more free revving and just a tad faster. It could also be the NGK-DPR8EIX9 I put in or the rolling mass of the bigger rear tire (130).

I haven't had a chance to measure fuel consumption, I literally just bought it a few weeks ago and haven't even gone through a full tank of fuel yet. At 1400 for a new clutch plate, I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and have it replaced tomorrow.

What else could cause notchy shifting though?
Old 16th December 2008, 19:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you compare with Pulsars the ZMA gear box IS notchy but its precise too.

Get the entire cable checked & also the pressure plates.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
If you compare with Pulsars the ZMA gear box IS notchy but its precise too.

Get the entire cable checked & also the pressure plates.
Last week I chaned the clutch plates of my Zma, including pressure plates. Still I am facing the gears a bit hard. Any guess what could be the reason?
Old 18th December 2008, 17:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Is it similar to how it is on a brand new bike or more bad?
Old 18th December 2008, 17:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

Did you also replace the cable?
Old 18th December 2008, 17:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Is it similar to how it is on a brand new bike or more bad?
Definitely not as a new bike. Some times I feel very hard to engage the gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Did you also replace the cable?
Have not replaced it now, but replaced around 5000 km back. Will try this too.
Old 19th December 2008, 21:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
As for pick-up, I don't feel any drop. I have only compared it with one other Karizma and felt that mine was more free revving and just a tad faster. It could also be the NGK-DPR8EIX9 I put in or the rolling mass of the bigger rear tire (130).

I haven't had a chance to measure fuel consumption, I literally just bought it a few weeks ago and haven't even gone through a full tank of fuel yet. At 1400 for a new clutch plate, I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and have it replaced tomorrow.

What else could cause notchy shifting though?
The current modern bikes gives very good life for the clutch plates provided they are not abused( I remember my Rx 100 which has ran more than a lakh had the original clutch plates)
First of all you need to check the freeplay of the clutch cable. More the play, less the actuation of the clutch and this can cause a notchy gear shifting. If the play is less/no play, the clutch will slip. Correct the clutch play to the factory specifications. If the play is set, the sure indication of a worn clutch plate is, when the engine is loaded it will rev up proportionally more than the vehicle speed.
Try driving your bike in a steep slope loading the bike and you can make out the difference. Noticeable Fuel consumption difference will be felt in the last stages. You shouldn't be waiting till the fuel consumption is being affected by the worn clutch, if you are planning for a long drive, you are asking for trouble
Suresh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks