Team-BHP - Karizma Toe-only shift annoyance - Please Help
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Karizma Toe-only shift annoyance - Please Help (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/51039-karizma-toe-only-shift-annoyance-please-help.html)

Hello there everyone! This is Ashwin from Bangalore..got a used 2005 Black Karizma today for 42k..in pretty good condition actually

Anyhow, everything is fine expect for this annoying toe-only shift...since I am also used driving the toe-and-heal ol' Honda Unicorn, I am not quite comfortable with this "sporty" arrangement

Called this mechanic/mod guy in JC Road and said he can get it fixed for INR450? Is this the right price and is such an attachment available in the market?

Also, the bike is registered in Uttaranchal (UA) RTO. So, how do I go about changing it to KA registration?

Any help, pointers, words of wisdom would be much appreaciated please:

Ashcheers:win

I personally find the toe only shifter more comfortable. But if you are sure that you dont want it then find out if the heel toe shifter from unicorn is a direct fit or not & if it is then check for its price at Honda service center. Else you will have to get heel part welded.

For KA registration you would need an NOC from Uttaranchal (UA) RTO & then submit this with other relevant documents(you can get this info from KA RTO) to KA RTO. You may or may not have to pay some amount as tax difference.

Congratulations on your new ride.
I would suggest you to ride the Karizma around for a few hundred or atleast a thousand kms actually and see if you can get used to the stock gear shifting mechanism. I usually do not trust most aftermarket 'jugaads' irrespective of costs involved.

manson.

Don't do that! Though shalt soon get used to it :-)

^ Wait for a while , use it for a couple of days and most probably you'll find it better , more comfortable and efficient than the toe-heel shifter.

I hard a time getting used to toe shifter after i upgraded from passion, my toes were literally paining like anything, after a matter of time say first 600kms i got used to it, heck i even start thinking these days why doesn't my rx had a toe shifter. toe shifter's are a boon consider it has more advantages than disadvantages, don't spoil the bike its just a matter of time you will get use to it.

Yeah, most superbikes have toe-only shifters so this will be good practice for you for when you buy that R1 ;)

Personally, i love those toe-shifters over the heel-n-toe shifter.
I used to borrow my friend's CBZ at times, and anyday preferred this over the hell-n-toe of my first generation Pulsar 150.

You will soon get used to it, and like others mentioned, wonder why you even got the thought of doing away with it ever. :)

Flex your ankles.... learn to ride with toe shifters

Ride around for some time. You will get used to it, and after that you will be annoyed by the toe-and-heel shifter.:uncontrol

Same thing happened to me when I got my new CBZ-X! I was used to my Shogun's (& earlier Hero Honda's ) heel & toe lever and the toe only shifting pissed me off a lot. But I wasn't ready to modify it because I don't have any trust in after-market alterations. Anyway, I eventually got used to it... and it dosent matter so much now.

Though, yes, I'd still say the heel & toe lever is the one I prefer. Its more comfy and also, it dosent spoil the upper part of your shoes, esp. in the rains!

I don't care what superbikes use... I'd prefer the heel & toe thingy anytime.

Thanks a lot guys for your replies! wasn't able to check on the forum coz on my crappy Internet connection...

Finished servicing my bike and I have to say its been pretty good so far...I always feel there is more power left to burn...

I am still yet to get used to the toe-only gear shift after riding around 150 kms...For me, its always functionality and usability over racing standards..or maybe I am just finding hard to unlearn my biking habits :Frustrati

Moreover, none of the guys in JC Road were able to guide on modifying the gear shift..finally ended up buying a cbz-modfied gear shift which didn't fit the bill...so, I have just decided to put things on hold and try to get used to it..

also, have been experiencing a backache which never occured once after 15k kms of driving my unicorn...maybe a lil handlebar adjustment needed

And Technocrat, thanks for your inputs on the registration thingy!

Glad to be a part of the Team BHP community...will let you guys know if sucesfully mod the gear shift :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwin489 (Post 1108117)
Thanks a lot guys for your replies! wasn't able to check on the forum coz on my crappy Internet connection...

Finished servicing my bike and I have to say its been pretty good so far...I always feel there is more power left to burn...

I am still yet to get used to the toe-only gear shift after riding around 150 kms...For me, its always functionality and usability over racing standards..or maybe I am just finding hard to unlearn my biking habits :Frustrati

Moreover, none of the guys in JC Road were able to guide on modifying the gear shift..finally ended up buying a cbz-modfied gear shift which didn't fit the bill...so, I have just decided to put things on hold and try to get used to it..

also, have been experiencing a backache which never occured once after 15k kms of driving my unicorn...maybe a lil handlebar adjustment needed

And Technocrat, thanks for your inputs on the registration thingy!

Glad to be a part of the Team BHP community...will let you guys know if sucesfully mod the gear shift :)

Ashwin: i think the toe-shift is a better way of biking. I have had a Shogun & an adreno. You know what, I literally cutoff the heel shifter part in both these bikes. The only disadvantage is that you will spoil your Shoe-Polish every day :)

As for the RTO thingy, if you are to get it done from Rajajinagar RTO, you can contact one Mr. Chandru there. Sorry, he doesn't beleive in carrying mobile phones. He is a handicap & you would be able to locate him easily. It has been a long time since i saw him too. Try your luck.

Rgds
Digitalblood