Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2011, 15:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Disc Brakes of 2-Wheelers -Problems & Solutions !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Ask for 'minor kit - brake caliper'

Part no. DE 1510 51

It contains the Oil and dust seals, bleeder cap, dust cover and insulator. If you also want to replace the pistons , then ask for 'major kit - brake caliper' (DE 1510 52)
Thanks Manoj. I will start with the Bajaj service centers and see if I can get it from them. If not, I will try my luck at Nanapeth.
Old 19th March 2011, 17:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Disc Brakes of 2-Wheelers -Problems & Solutions !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Ask for 'minor kit - brake caliper'

Part no. DE 1510 51

It contains the Oil and dust seals, bleeder cap, dust cover and insulator. If you also want to replace the pistons , then ask for 'major kit - brake caliper' (DE 1510 52)
I got the major kit made by KBX for Rs. 180. It came with two cylinders as well. The minor kit cost was ~Rs. 60.

Now to rebuild the caliper.

Last edited by pjbiju : 19th March 2011 at 17:47.
Old 21st March 2011, 18:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

I returned the caliper rebuild kit. One of the caliper pistons could not be removed, however hard I tried, with compressed air. So I got the caliper assembly replaced. It cost me Rs. 1100.

Last edited by pjbiju : 21st March 2011 at 19:07.
Old 21st March 2011, 19:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I returned the caliper rebuild kit. One of the caliper pistons could not be removed, however hard I tried, with compressed air. So I got the caliper assembly replaced. It cost me Rs. 1100.
Congrats..so you used which caliper assy ? Gladiator ? direct fit ?
Old 21st March 2011, 22:51   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
When the piston gets stuck , just weld an old bolt to the inside of the piston and tap out the bolt so that the piston comes out . My zeus piston got stuck and i did that . Saved almost Rs 2000 . After removing the piston get a 180 grit sand paper and clean the insides and replace the kits .
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgev View Post
Congrats..so you used which caliper assy ? Gladiator ? direct fit ?
KBX kit for Pulsar. It comes with new brake pads as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
When the piston gets stuck , just weld an old bolt to the inside of the piston and tap out the bolt so that the piston comes out . My zeus piston got stuck and i did that . Saved almost Rs 2000 . After removing the piston get a 180 grit sand paper and clean the insides and replace the kits .
This is a good idea. Actually I wanted to complete this task over the last weekend. I was finding it extremely difficult to ride the bike without the front brakes. But yes, I could have saved Rs. 800-900 had I followed your advice. Anyway this should help people who have such problems in the future.
Old 26th March 2011, 15:34   #22
BHPian

^^

Or, you could have done one more thing. If the Pistons are stuck inside the calipers, wedge a piece of plywood between the calipers and press the brake lever. The pressure of the brake fluid is more than the compressed air.. The stuck piston will come out slowly and when it's 3/4th out, pull the pistons with a plyer.

I saved nearly 4500 when my karizma's caliper pistons got stuck..
Old 5th May 2011, 17:26   #23
BHPian

I had the same problem with my Pulsar 200 yesterday. I had to go to the nearest roadside mechanic as i had to reach office in time. he just bleeded the fluid, removed and adjusted the brake pads. then he topped the new fluid (I doubt the correct one or even sealed). The front wheel as of now is relatively free but i am yet not comfortable with this. I want to get this fixed properly over the weekend. Please suggest guys. Should i go for the Major kit/Minor kit? Where can i find the kits around Malad, Goregaon West and nearby in Mumbai? Please suggest a good mech if you know any guys
Old 6th April 2015, 12:50   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Changed my Stunner's brake pads yesterday. Bought a set of Bybre disc brake pads from Honda ASC and replaced it myself. Though it will take some time to break-in the new pads but the still as of now, the braking power is very good. The printed price for the set was Rs. 482/- but somehow I was billed for Rs. 360/- only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks