Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 00:36   #1
BHPian

Need help from experts on my Pulsar 150 DTSI

Experts,

I bought a Pulsar 150 DTSI in may 2008 and have clocked close to 6K kms till now. I changed the airfilter in my ride to K&N when the odometer was showing around 3.5 K Kms.The roaring noise and a better breathing engine was evident for a while,but now the roaring noise seems to be no more and i feel that the Filter must be cleaned as the engine is not able to breath freely.

Now the question is, where do I get the K&N filter cleaned? Can I get it cleaned in the Bajaj Authorized service centre? Will they support the K&N filter? Do a road side mechanic have the necessary tools to clean the K&N filter? Please give me some suggestions regarding this.

An other problem I face is that, even after running 6K kms, the engine feels real coarse as if it has not run-in properly and during the gear shifts, the false neutrals keep engaging very frequently. Are you guys facing the same problems? Is there a way to get it rectified? Please help me guys.
Old 4th January 2009, 10:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Cruiser,
Where did you get the K&N installed. Maybe you can get it serviced in the same place.

Which engine oil do you use ? Check the oil level .. and if possible switch to synthetic oils. P150 has *W40 requirement I guess.
Old 4th January 2009, 11:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Tools to clean a K&N filter?

All you need to take out the K&N filter is a screw driver... a star head or a flat head or maybe both.

Then you need mild soap solution (no shampoo/car shampoo/dishwashing liquid, use soap solution made out of normal bathing soap works fine!) to soak the K&N in to get rid of all the dirt and oil.

Then you have to rinse the filter with water from a tap. Not under pressure but with slow running water.

Then leave it to dry. Don't use any pressurised air or hair dryer.

Then you need to oil the filter. The directions must've come with your filter follow em. It's good to have a K&N filter oil... but in emergencies a lightweight oil like 10W30 will work.

This is based upon my experience with K&N and Green filters. If you can't / don't want to shell out $$ for their cleaning kit it's fine, but buying the filter oil is recommended.

Don't entrust cleaning the K&N to your service center or regular workshop guy. They will most probably use petrol to clean the filter and then use pressurised air to dry it. Which will render your K&N useless.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2009, 21:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Cruiser,
Where did you get the K&N installed. Maybe you can get it serviced in the same place.

Which engine oil do you use ? Check the oil level .. and if possible switch to synthetic oils. P150 has *W40 requirement I guess.
The place where I had installed my K&N is a kind of only sales shop. A mechanic from a nearby shop did the Install for my bike, they don't clean the filters . I have done three oil changesso far, the first one in the service centre and the next two times I used Motul W40 mineral oil. I have done the oil changes promptly and I maintined the speed limits according to the manual during the run-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Tools to clean a K&N filter?

All you need to take out the K&N filter is a screw driver... a star head or a flat head or maybe both.

Then you need mild soap solution (no shampoo/car shampoo/dishwashing liquid, use soap solution made out of normal bathing soap works fine!) to soak the K&N in to get rid of all the dirt and oil.

Then you have to rinse the filter with water from a tap. Not under pressure but with slow running water.

Then leave it to dry. Don't use any pressurised air or hair dryer.

Then you need to oil the filter. The directions must've come with your filter follow em. It's good to have a K&N filter oil... but in emergencies a lightweight oil like 10W30 will work.

This is based upon my experience with K&N and Green filters. If you can't / don't want to shell out $$ for their cleaning kit it's fine, but buying the filter oil is recommended.

Don't entrust cleaning the K&N to your service center or regular workshop guy. They will most probably use petrol to clean the filter and then use pressurised air to dry it. Which will render your K&N useless.
Thanks Shankar, I will try this and if I have more queries I will post them.

Most Viewed