Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 17:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Best tyres for Suzuki Shogun?

Could anybody advice me on the best tyres for Suzuki Shogun? My gun badly needs a tyre change... still going on stock tyres - TVS Shrichakra... horrible tyres for grip, but the treads seems almost totally unworn since all these years!!

Requirements/preferences:

Tubed tyres, as the wheels have spokes.
Stock size preffered.
No premium tyres please, dont want to spend extra cash. Cheaper the better.
Tyre should be a balance between grip and durability.
Mention of price, if known would be really appreciated.

I have heard that Dunlop Geocruiser is decent. Any comments?

Thanks to all in advance.
Old 5th January 2009, 17:36   #2
BANNED

MRF Nylogrip - not sure if this is still made. Not the Zappers - useless everywhere except dry tarmac. Check out what MRF offers in the 2.75/3.00x18 size. Don't choose the tread pattern that even remotely resembles the Zapper.
Old 5th January 2009, 23:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

I agree with hrag, on nylogrip, the zappers are good only on tramc [without any potholes] and in dry.
MRF have come out with some new tires though, ceat 3.00x18 [rear]is pretty good on this bike.
Old 6th January 2009, 01:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys! Any idea of the prices? I'm considering changing 1 tyre at a time. I guess there shouldn't be any problem going in for different brands front and rear, right? Or does anyone know better?

What about Dunlop?
Old 6th January 2009, 08:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you try out Duro/Vee Rubber. I guess you'll get them for that size.

And you've been on stock tyres for like 10 years now ?
Old 6th January 2009, 08:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dunlop, I have never used so can not comment but have heard that they are same as ceat. Ceat are good for the light weight shogun, wheely happy characteristics of the bike. And if you use the bike only for fun than get some sticky tyre for the rear.
Tyre should set you back around 900-1300 per piece.
Old 6th January 2009, 15:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Why dont you try out Duro/Vee Rubber. I guess you'll get them for that size.

And you've been on stock tyres for like 10 years now ?
Erm... yes. Can hardly belive it when I look back... but then the bike has been used very infrequently after I was outta college and stuff... Have problems keeping the battrey charged, actually!

What is this Duro/Vee rubber??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Dunlop, I have never used so can not comment but have heard that they are same as ceat. Ceat are good for the light weight shogun, wheely happy characteristics of the bike. And if you use the bike only for fun than get some sticky tyre for the rear.
Tyre should set you back around 900-1300 per piece.
So Ceat are light weight tyres? That should be good! Any specific "model" I should look for in Ceat?

Bike is used mostly on city roads... and Poona roads arent that good, to say the least. Am considering taking it on highways, but dont want to do that with the old OEM tyres... hence considering a change.

What brands made "sticky" tyes, like you mentioned?
Old 6th January 2009, 15:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

dunlop geocruiser is the worst tyre i have ever seen !

zapper q is a superb tyre
Old 6th January 2009, 15:55   #9
BANNED

If you can find MRF Nylogrip / Dunlop Spectrawide / CEAT Secura somewhere, nothing beats these 3 for the old gen 2-strokes. Stick to OEM size.

Note: plain Nylogrip, not Nylogrip Zapper.
Old 6th January 2009, 16:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks hrag! So Dunlop Spectrawide is better than Geocruiser? I plan to go in for OEM size only.

Chirag Bir, why do you say Geocruiser is the worst tyre? Can you justify?
Old 6th January 2009, 16:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

BY sticky I main the brands like Maxxis [importer is trident from pune itself], pretty good for this bike, I had on mine once[before selling], they do not last as much as the Indian brands.Do not remember the model, but the grip was phenomenal.
Please check the new patterns from MRF, have heard they are good [ I have not used any].
But if u plan to take the bike on highway [for fun] than get some good tyres buddy and enjoy the bike.The bike is light and short compared to the bike available today and at around 90-110 it will become unstable so tyres are very importent.
Is this your daily drive?

Last edited by dinar : 6th January 2009 at 16:38.
Old 6th January 2009, 17:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it dosen't feel so stable/safe at high speeds. And the OEM tyres are plain awful for grip. But then I'v never tried any other tyes on the bike, so I dont know to what extent a tyre change will affect these factors.

Any idea about the Maxxis cost? And around how long would they last compared to Indian brands like Dunlop or Ceat?

Does a "sticky" tyre affect fuel-efficiency?

No, like I said, use of the bike is sporradic/infrequent. I have my new CBZ-x too, so the use gets divided with that too. Not to mention, the car...
Old 6th January 2009, 19:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

So you have fun with the bike.. Ok Maxxis costed me around 1300/- long time ago in 2001. Now add another 700-1000 on that.
Ceat will give you decent grip for affordable costs or Nylogrip, I think the new TVS tyres are also good, the once on the appachi 80-100 [rear]. they are good, they do have the front in 18 inch also.
Fuel efficeincy part, not much of difference on shogun.there is a drop but by .25-.5 kmpl.
By the way the bike will be unstable what ever you do [it's very short ] only thing is the tyres won't loose grip when the bike is waving at speed, advanatge is it's fantstic on curves.
Old 6th January 2009, 19:48   #14
BHPian

For the rear, use the MRF Zapper C 3.00 x 18.
Old 6th January 2009, 20:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

So about 1,300 + 1,000 for Maxxis?? And then I'll have to add the cost of the tube also. Dont wanna spend that much! Actually am not too sure how long I'll keep the bike either, so...

Mebbe I'll just consider Dunlop, Ceat and MRF Nylogrip.

So the new TVS tyres have grip that can be compared to the above brands? Since I'v experienced the OEM TVS tyres, I balk at thinking about TVS again. But then I guess I shoudn't compare them to the latest ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks